Storied Trove of 1930s Jazz Is Acquired by Museum

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allen:

Agreed that the clip from the Martin Block broadcast sounds better than I've ever heard it before. I just thought it was odd that no one had either recognized it (or bothered to note that it was out before).

Having said that, I share your sentiments about the other clips. I'm just hoping that they find their way out somehow, sometime. Makes you wonder what else is there.

the waller/armstrong/tea is in MUCH improved sound -

the Berigan is to die for -

and Prez, well, what can I say? I'm re-born.

Papsrus: "I wonder if Savory's work for the CIA was partly what made him guard these recordings so closely -- kind of like, once he went to work for them everything he'd ever done needed to be kept quiet. You know how they can be. Certainly, making them public would have brought him attention that he/they wouldn't likely want."

I know of three CIA people who recorded jazz and put it out there. I didn't seem to hurt their day job. :)

As for Schaap, yes, we should all fall to our knees—or whatever—and be thankful that he has nothing to do with these recordings. Live recordings, damn, think of all the coughs and other extraneous noises he would add as a bonus!

I hope I live long enough to see (or should I say hear) this material released. The only disappointment for me was the Hawkins. Their write up of it made me expect something more. It didn't sound that different to me than many of his other versions. And what's "modal" about it? It's great of course, just not what was advertised.

BTW Anyone know who's backing Berigan?

Edited by medjuck

Papsrus: "I wonder if Savory's work for the CIA was partly what made him guard these recordings so closely -- kind of like, once he went to work for them everything he'd ever done needed to be kept quiet. You know how they can be. Certainly, making them public would have brought him attention that he/they wouldn't likely want."

I know of three CIA people who recorded jazz and put it out there. I didn't seem to hurt their day job. :)

Maybe in the case of your acquaintances, the jazz thing was a cover. :ph34r: Lots 'o' subversive types in the music biz, you know.

The level of transparency a spook is allowed probably depends on what they do. A guy developing recording and surveillance techniques/technologies may not want to publicize his previous efforts in the field. Particularly if they're likely to be greeted with a collective, "Holy shit, this is unbelievable! Who is this guy!!??"

It is curious that they remained purposely buried for Savory's entire life, given their apparent significance, which he must have been fully aware of.

And isn't it perfect that the guy's name was Savory?

well, the CIA IS a terrorist organization, from Guatemala to Chile to Cuba - so maybe he was a bit worried about visibility. Who knows?

there is a jazz record guy who worked for the CIA - isn't it the guy from from Chiascouro? Or some label like that (however it's spelled) - I think Jazz Wax interviewed him at some point.

look, I used to be in the PTA, but I try not to let it get around.

Edited by AllenLowe

This CIA issue would be great for a spy plot, on the side of internal conspiracy, just add E.J.Hoover and his obsession against black people and social issues, and the early CIA, coming from the Ivy leagues, could even play the good guys. Too bad I am here and not in Hollywood as screenwriter.

Got to be a few Mosaics out of this ! :excited:

Just heard a bit of the music (snippets of Armstrong, Bobby Hackett, Basie, Goodman, Pres) on a radio article on BBC Radio 4 news on the way home. They interviewed Loren Schoenberg, who confirmed that the Benny Goodman material was particularly good.

Edited by sidewinder

While this discovery doesn't quite rise to the level of the missing Buddy Bolden cylinders, it's about as close as we're likely to get. The idea of these recordings winding up in a series of Mosaic releases is almost to sweet to contemplate. Those audio clips in the Times triggered a near-Pavlovian response.

the waller/armstrong/tea is in MUCH improved sound -

That's what I meant. I have the session on an old LP. The sound here was miraculous! And Mosaic may be issuing it? Pinch me!

gregmo

The full broadcast - in its former audio reproduction - should be included in the soon to be published volume 9 of the Intégrale Louis Armstrong collection from Frémeaux & Associés.

Was that really a quarter taped to the tonearm head in the Times piece? I'm sure it wasn't, but it looked like it...

Yes, it is for some extra weight that prevents occasional skips and mistracking. Usual "device" for transfering unplayable and wrapped records and records with skips.

Was that really a quarter taped to the tonearm head in the Times piece? I'm sure it wasn't, but it looked like it...

Yes, it is for some extra weight that prevents occasional skips and mistracking. Usual "device" for transfering unplayable and wrapped records and records with skips.

My previous turntable also needed some extra weight for the occasional albums that skipped. I come cheap and used a ten-cent coin instead of a quarter ;)