Storied Trove of 1930s Jazz Is Acquired by Museum

Has anyone especially those of you on the inside with Scott Wenzel or Cuscuna emailed them about this? Or had a conversation with them about the possibility of Mosaic doing something with these recordings? They really would be the best (REALLY ONLY) place that should release these commercially...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone especially those of you on the inside with Scott Wenzel or Cuscuna emailed them about this? Or had a conversation with them about the possibility of Mosaic doing something with these recordings? They really would be the best (REALLY ONLY) place that should release these commercially...

Apparently you didn't see Brownie's post earlier in this thread, here.

thanks missed that one... It's great that they are in contact... Somehow I suspect several boxed sets may come out of this...!! :party: :party: :party:

Me personally... I'd love some Lester Young that's longer than 3 minutes... :winky:

Apparently you didn't see Brownie's post earlier in this thread, here.

The article says 15 CDs, which is not bad at all. By Mosaic's current pricing, it'd run a little over $250.

What?When?Where?How??? :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

GottahaveitGottahaveitGottahaveit!!!

(Calming down mode on: :D

15 CDs would cover only a tiny part of those discs, right? I can only hope they will not stick with the big, bigger, biggest names only. Nothing against Benny Goodman, for example, but he has been served real well with airshots anyway - but hearing Herschel Evans, Chu Berry or the like stretch out really well in informal settings, now THAT would be sumpin'!)

Sorry about that Allen.. I misunderstood... :blush2: :blush2:

I was just referring to the "time period" in which they were recorded, as most broadcasts took place within those times -

I wonder which artists comprise the lions share of this?? Wonder if they will at least come out a listing of the sessions soon.... :blush2:

Don't make me buy a bunch of Benny Goodman (with or without Charlie Christian) just to hear some Coleman Hawkins & Lester Young.

For that matter, put all the Herschel Evans on a single disc, that'll work too.

Even better - make it all available as single track downloads.

Yeah, do that. I'm not nearly as ravenous as I used to be. But I still have appetites...

You won't get downloads from Mosaic, I'm sure, but themed discs/box sets seems like a reasonable approach. There's going to be a boatload of Goodman, we know that. They ought to do that as a single Mosaic set. Then maybe a tenor set with Hawkins and Herschel and others? Maybe there's enough Christian alone (it sounds like there is more than a little) to do a single CD?

But given the quantity there is too much here to do some sort of haphazard combination and make people buy Goodman to get the stuff of even greater interest.

If Mosaic is able to put together a deal with Mr. Schoenberg, I'm hoping there's enough material from some of the more obscure artists on these discs to make up a set. While I'm excited about hearing guys like Hawkins, Young and Goodman playing in a looser, less constrained environment, I already have plenty of their work. It's the B-level guys I've not heard before that really pique my interest.

Edited by Dave James

I hope we are not going to be limited to a costly Mosaic set. There's no reason the museum itself can't make this available online for download one song at a time even if Mosaic puts out a commercial box set. This has been hoarded for so long, why put it in the monopoly of a single company for who knows how much longer? License it but non-exclusively. Just my two cents.

I can't imagine that will happen.. That's why IMHO it's in a library now...

My guess is Mosaic will get a few boxed sets of this and the rest (or most) of the collection will stay at the Museum with some purchasable downloads....

I hope we are not going to be limited to a costly Mosaic set. There's no reason the museum itself can't make this available online for download one song at a time even if Mosaic puts out a commercial box set. This has been hoarded for so long, why put it in the monopoly of a single company for who knows how much longer? License it but non-exclusively. Just my two cents.

... but themed discs/box sets seems like a reasonable approach. There's going to be a boatload of Goodman, we know that. They ought to do that as a single Mosaic set. Then maybe a tenor set with Hawkins and Herschel and others? Maybe there's enough Christian alone (it sounds like there is more than a little) to do a single CD?

If Mosaic is able to put together a deal with Mr. Schoenberg, I'm hoping there's enough material from some the more obscure artists captured on these discs to make up a set. While I'm excited about hearing guys like Hawkins, Young and Goodman playing in a looser, less constrained environment, I already have plenty of their work. It's the B-level guys I've not heard before that really pique my interest.

Exactly my thoughts and wishes about any CD sets that might materialize from all this.

Why not? I don't follow. Do you mean that the museum and library think it would be too costly for them to do this? Because it would not. Internet Archives does it. Even the individual who has the Red Hot Jazz site manages to do it.

Edited by It Should be You

Why not? I don't follow. Do you mean that the museum and library think it would be too costly for them to do this? Because it would not. Internet Archives does it. Even the individual who has the Red Hot Jazz site manages to do it.

I can't imagine Mosaic doing it if the music is all out there and available for free. And if the library can make some money on it, I assume that's why they're talking to Mosaic about doing it.

gregmo