Ultimate Miles Davis Box Set or Over the Top?

http://www.sonymusicdigital.com/miles-davis/details/5506623?gclid=CN3Zvr3_waMCFRCenAod4EQ5Zw

Sony Legacy is listing a forthcoming new "Trumpet Case" edition of Miles Davis box sets: all the metal spine box sets, plus some additional gew gaws (trumpet reed T-Short, a Miles lithograph, etc).

Is this the ultimate Miles set, or a massive case of "jumping the shark"? I'm not sure who would shell out over $1,000 for this set. Serious collectors already have most or all of these boxes, and newcomers would seem unlikely to take the plunge.

OTOH, it does look way cool!

Anyone going for it?

1000x1000.jpg

Edited by Leeway

There's been some discussion of this in another Miles Davis thread. . . .

Personally, I'm pretending this hasn't been prepared. I'd love to have it, just because it's a cool collectible thing and I'm a Miles Davis collector FOR SURE, but I'm not buying it.

Edited by jazzbo

Leeway, you've been away too long!

Here is a previous thread on this box.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't that thread about the 70CD/1DVD Complete Columbia Album Collection box? Leeway is talking about a different set, the upcoming trumpet case box with all the metal-spine box sets.

My mistake (too many threads about all those Miles boxes) :blush2:

Correcting my previous post...

Wonder why they didn't include the Cellar Door box?

Maybe because it's not a metal-spine box?

Neither is the Silent Way box.

They've included all the metal-(and non-metal)spined boxes that have numbers on the spine, which were part of a series. The live sets didn't have numbers on the spine. No Blackhawk or Plugged Nickel either. Maybe they'll reissue those and Cellar Door in a replica wah-wah pedal or a Harmon mute.

At that BB panel I saw at SXSW in March, Steve Berkowitz said that he had held back about 1,000 of each metal spine box for some future use. When the concept of the trumpet box came up, they decided that was a perfect time to make use of the stash.

I think if you have the metal spine sets already, then there's no reason to get this. You could buy yourself a real trumpet for less.

At that BB panel I saw at SXSW in March, Steve Berkowitz said that he had held back about 1,000 of each metal spine box for some future use. When the concept of the trumpet box came up, they decided that was a perfect time to make use of the stash.

Let's hope they held back 1,955 of them.

• 3 weeks later...