Any thoughts/doubts about OpenDNS?

Larry Kart

Will it create problems with our already established links to Organissimo and similar sites from the site administration side of things, by (say) changing our IP addresses?

If the above sounds like a dumb question, this not an area where I know much.

I don't think so...a DNS server just takes what you type into your browser (www.organissimo.org) and turns it into an IP address like 12.156.43.104. Unless lots of people are creating links to Organissimo like http://12.156.43.104 I don't think an IP address change should really cause any problem.

From wikipedia:

The Domain Name System makes it possible to assign domain names to groups of Internet users in a meaningful way, independent of each user's physical location. Because of this, World Wide Web (WWW) hyperlinks and Internet contact information can remain consistent and constant even if the current Internet routing arrangements change or the participant uses a mobile device. Internet domain names are easier to remember than IP addresses such as 208.77.188.166 (IPv4) or 2001:db8:1f70::999:de8:7648:6e8 (IPv6). People take advantage of this when they recite meaningful URLs and e-mail addresses without having to know how the machine will actually locate them.
Edited by Big Wheel