Sonny Rollins 80th birthday concert in NYC

Hardbopjazz

The concert is on Friday September 10, 2010. Sonny has a number of guests with him which have announced, but there are two mystery guests. Anyone have a guess as to who these two mystery musicians could be? Russell Malone is now in Rollins' band. I did ask Russell when I saw him playing with Ron Carter this month. He said he didn't know himself. Anyway, I will find out the night of the concert.

The guests announced are Jim Hall, Roy Hargrove, and Christian McBrride.

Maybe the ghost of Coleman Hawkins is one of the mystery musicians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fho4oTU7T9Q&feature=digest

Edited by Hardbopjazz

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second could very well be Herbie. The first could be Wayne Shorter.

If only we knew someone who was close personal friends with Wayne and Herbie...

Bertrand.

I asked Russell Malone and he didn't even know.

Rihanna?

rihanna.jpg

:rofl: Well she is from the Caribbean so it may be since Sonny's roots go back to the American Virgin Islands.

The one mjzee posted is the one that I think is Herbie. The other one could be Wayne although I wouldn't bet money on it.

If there is a chance to see Wayne and Sonny together, I might try to make it up there. My other option that night is McCoy with Gary Bartz in the DC area. Tough choice.

I know someone else I can ask about Wayne. I will try that route.

Bertrand.

• 2 weeks later...

I meant to go to this but somehow spaced doing other things.....

Turns out to have been a huge mistake.....

Don't know all the details but ran into one person who saw the concert and said Rollins again played trio with Christian McBride and Roy Haynes and then was joined by..........

Ornette Coleman

They said it was killing.

That's about as historic as you can get these days I think

That's a shame,Pat Metheny always wanted to do a Song X sequel also. Damn Roy looks great! Anyone notice any equipment that looked like this was being officially recorded?

All of Sonny's concerts these days are recorded for archival purposes -- and have been for years. The more important question is whether Sonny will approve anything for release. Remember, the 50th anniversary reunion with Roy (and Christian) at Carnegie Hall a few years ago was originally planned for release but Sonny wasn't happy with two of the numbers and so the only piece that made it out was "Some Enchanted Evening" on "Road Shows" (though bootlegs of the other two tunes from Carnegie have floated around).

As for Roy, he's a freak of nature. I don't think there's ever been any performing musician in any idiom in history who has ever played with greater technical precision, authority and creativity at such an advanced age -- and he's playing the drums! I actually think Roy is literally playing better than ever. I heard him with his own group just five days ago in Detroit and it was so amazing that there are no words. Also, up close, he looks like he's about 55. There was quite a special scene backstage at the Detroit festival during Branford Marsalis' set when Roy was sitting next to drummer Karriem Riggins (35 years old) and both were listening to Justin Faulkner, Branford's dynamite new drummer who is just 19 -- 66 years younger than Roy!

Edited by Mark Stryker