The Frank Kuchirchuk Collection of Jazz Photography

mjzee

I didn't... but I saw a photo of Benny Harris with Bird!

Benny Harris in one Bird photo; Roy Haynes in the other. Ken Vail's Bird's Diary says that Bird, Harris, Haynes, Walter Bishop Jr., and Teddy Kotick toured in 1951, including gigs at Lindsay's in Cleveland, where the photos were taken. The photo exhibit says that all the shots were taken in 1952 or 1953; maybe the photographer's recollection is mistaken or the group also worked in 1952.

Benny Harris was still with Bird at the start of 1952 and appears on the January 28 recording session that gave us 'La Cucaracha' and 'Begin the Beguine' and other tunes.

The Vail book mentions several visits by the Bird-Benny Harris quintet through 1951.

But as good as Vail's 'Bird Diary' is, it is not complete!

I photographed the new music building dedication including performances by Bill Cosby, Stevie Wonder, lots of Oberlin alumni including James McBride, Marcus Belgrave, Gary Bartz, Robin Eubanks, Stanley Cowell and others for Downbeat. Sadly Wendell Logan, the man that started the school decades ago passed away just a couple months after the ribbon cutting.

On the bright side; my good friend and founder/owner of beehive records donated his massive collection to the university. Having seen much of it; they should be happy to have it.

Regarding the exhibit by Kuchirchuk; it was very nice. About a dozen or so very nice images...most of them shot at one Cleveland jazz club....nice stuff.

m~

don't really know where else to post this, trumpeter Al Porcino also has a nice collection of photos on his homepage including some truly great ones such as Miles Davis dancing the jitterbug, or the one of the Porcinos with Tiny Kahn and Frank Rosolino...

Some really great photos there ('Miles Smiles' etc.). Thanks for posting !

Niko! Many thanks for pointing us to that Al Porcino site. Lots of very interesting photos there.

Wish a Will Savory recorded that Georgie Auld band

1950al_016.jpg

Georgie Auld Band,

Gerry Mulligan, Earl Swodie (most probably Swope!), Kenny Dorham,

Apollo Theatre, N.Y., 1950

Was not even aware that there was a Georgie Auld band like that!