Bach on WKCR

Brad

• 4 years later...

From the WKCR web site:

If you're in NYC, tune in 89.9FM. If not, WKCR.org on the web.

WKCR Presents: Bach Festival 2007

Facets of Bach

9:30 AM December 24, 2007 - 2:00 AM January 1, 2008

The Classical Department of WKCR-FM presents the annual Bach Festival 2007. For the full duration of the week running from Christmas Eve through New Year's Day, WKCR (89.9 FM and wkcr.org) will dedicate all broadcasting to the music and influence of Johann Sebastian Bach. The BachFest has been a tradition at WKCR for over twenty years, and this year's festival promises to be one of the best.

Few composers are better loved and none more highly respected than J.S. Bach. He has inspired an unparalleled academic tradition and a large international community dedicated to exploring, performing and appreciating his work, from the solo suites to the Christmas Oratorio. Eight days is not enough time to play all of J.S. Bach's works, let alone to do justice to their full range and variety; each day of BachFest promises to deliver something new.

BachFest 2007: The Facets of Bach will examine the many lenses through which J.S. Bach has been understood and performed over the last three hundred years. All roads lead back to Bach and we'll travel many of them. Bach's unique role within the classical tradition provides a fascinating framework for concentrated study and also for just plain listening to the many performances of his masterpieces.

The familiar voices of WKCR classical hosts will be augmented by a number of esteemed guest speakers and instrumentalists from New York and Beyond. Their expertise will be applied to a different facet of Bach throughout each day of the Festival:

Monday, December 24: Bach in his Time

Tuesday, December 25: Bach and the Church

Wednesday, December 26: Historically Informed Performance

Thursday, December 27: The Performer's Challenge

Friday, December 28: Bach in the Classical Tradition

Saturday, December 29: Bach Beyond Classical

Monday, December 30: Bach Today

Check wkcr.org for further refinements of the schedule as the festival approaches.

Listen!

edc was lost in the orgone & missed both the Microtonal Bach segment & the Tim Page interview. 7/4, did you catch at least the former? what did they talk about, & play? thanks--

I missed Microtonal Bach this year, but I've heard it many times before.

I have a tape of at least one of the old shows, he's been doing this for years, but I have no idea of what the condition is.

I hope that helps.

Just picked up that reissue of Gould's Goldberg Variations - the one with both versions plus a radio interview. Looking forward to hearing that. Hewitt is nice but doesn't grab my attention. The last time I put on Perahia I thought.... hmmm....

Any advice for good Cantatas? Been getting interested in the chorales lately.

i'll get back to both of these but let me say again, Angela Hewitt is ** HORRIBLE **... avoid at all costs. (Perahia[b/] is punk by comparison.]

I hear ya, just that I reserve such language for the likes of Marion Meadows. :rfr

Thanks for the recs, though vinyl isn't an option for me. I was looking at the Gardiner stuff in a store recently - very expensive, and the cover shots of obscure ethnic folk seemed an odd choice.

If you want cheap cantata recordings, Berkshire Record Outlet has the whole set (60 CDs for $99.40) and various pieces (5 CDs for $14.95) thereof, with Leusink on Brilliant Classics. Warning: these recordings use mostly amateur performers, so may not be as polished...

You can find more info at the Bach Cantata website.

Edited by T.D.

Joe-- if you have a source for cheap classical vinyl, for now get any of the Leonhardt, Harnoncourt discs on Telefunken/Teldec. they are imperfect but come with miniature scores & might still be the best available, overall. of all modern series, i dunno...

Not cheap, but...

Complete Sacred Cantatas

Be careful about what level of documentation (texts, notes, etc) is included.

Berkshire has a version of the Harnoncourt/Telefunken box at a higher price, but they claim:

"Label: TELEFUNKEN/TELDEC

BRO Code: 132146

Label Cat. #: 91765-2

Format: CD

Amount/set: 60

Audio Type: Analogue

Genre: Cantatas

Bach, The Sacred Cantatas. (Cond. Harnoncourt & Leonhardt. PLEASE NOTE: this is the fully-annotated version, not the 'bargain box' package.)

Featured Restock!

Add to Cart

Price: $239.40"

I can't tell from the CDU link which version they have.