Jack Teagarden Roulette

A lot depends on how you feel about Teagarden. He's been on my highest pedestal for years, and I was one of many (no doubt) who pestered Mosaic to do a Roulette set. They hesitated for a while until they found a large cache of unreleased live material. I love the set, and if anything, I like some of the studio stuff better than the live stuff. He does a version of Dorsey's theme song, "I'm Gettin' Sentimental Over You," that is to die for.

gregmo

Out of 40 black box sets I own, this one is in the top five. It's desert island material IMO. In fact you've inspired me to take it to work today.

My own fence sitting regards whether to spend $150 on True Blue's Complete Wes Montgomery Riverside. I've gone through Amazon's batch of 30-second samplers several times and read this forum's threads on it, all favorable of course. Still... :unsure:

I'm a Teagarden nut like Greg so I say it's a great set. I'm a big fan of Jack's vocals as well. . . there are a lot of vocals in this set, but they're great as far as I'm concerned. . . .

MellowT, I hesitated for a while on the Montgomery set partly because I had so many of the single releases. . . I eventually a few years ago found it less than one hundred and got it, and am happy I did. Keep your eyes peeled, you probably won't have to pay 150 plus. . . .

Years ago I wasn't that keen on jazz vocals but it was Teagarden who turned me around. I was actually slightly disappointed that this set didn't include more vocals. So maybe that's the endorsement you need to hear. ;) It's a little tricky deciphering the At The Roundtable session but by my rough count approximately 25% of the 4 disc set has vocals. Recommended. :)

Edited by Quincy