Miles' Bitches Brew

CJ Shearn

Since Bitches Brew isn't as big of a deal to me as having the big KoB set was with the blue vinyl, and since the Tanglewood show is at Wolfgang's Vault, think the Legacy Edition of BB will fit the bill with the DVD? I'll still have to hang on to the '99 version as the Legacy Edition does not contain "Feio".

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 3CD box with the vinyl, inserts and Copenhagen DVD is available pre-order at Amazon UK for just over £60. The 'Kind of Blue' box was so well done that this is very tempting, if the quality of presentation is comparable (update - just ordered it). Not that I exactly need another copy of Bitches Brew on vinyl !

brew.jpg

Is that for real?

Edited by sidewinder

The 3CD box with the vinyl, inserts and Copenhagen DVD is available pre-order at Amazon UK for just over £60. The 'Kind of Blue' box was so well done that this is very tempting, if the quality of presentation is comparable (update - just ordered it). Not that I exactly need another copy of Bitches Brew on vinyl !

brew.jpg

Is that for real?

After having bitched about this (no pun intended), I did some math. The Amazon description of the 3-CD set is as follows:

http://www.amazon.com/Bitches-Brew-Legacy-Miles-Davis/dp/tracks/B003M0H4NG/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_2

Retail price is about $24, so I could get it for about $16 with a Borders' coupon. In addition to the 6 usual tracks, for this price I get two alternates (why were these not in the 4-CD box?), a few singles, and most importantly the DVD.

As annoying as it might be to have another version of BB to store in my house, this seems worth getting since it is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.

One question: a friend of mine said there were some errors in the remastering of the box set with respect to the echos (I can get the details later) which were done correctly in the Japanese version. I wonder if the error still exists in this version.

Bertrand.

There is conflicting information about which mix was used for this reissue (the original Teo Macero mix or the 1998 Mark Wilder-remix)

For the Miles fans who already have the 4CD "Complete Bitches Brew sessions" box set, the most interesting aspect of this new reissue - besides the concert DVD - would be the original mix (as announced in the press release).

One Amazon cutomer is certain the the 1998 remix was used again:

http://www.amazon.com/Original-mix-or-1998-remix/forum/Fx38HKZUF6YLPIR/TxUO0ZDN1GQ39X/1/ref=cm_cd_fp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B003M0H4NG

Edited by Claude

In addition to the 6 usual tracks, for this price I get two alternates (why were these not in the 4-CD box?), a few singles, and most importantly the DVD.

Bertrand.

Bob Belden told Paul Tingen at http://www.miles-beyond.com/bitchesbrew.htm: "There was an alternative version of "John McLaughlin" that we could have used, but I did not feel that it was different enough. I could have created an alternative version of "Miles Runs The Voodoo Down," but it would have required a lot of editing, and I did not want to play Teo Macero."

Funny, I have had bad luck with that beer, entirely because it's been flat and the cork has rotted inside the bottle. Some QC needs to happen over there. Each time I took it back and got another bottle, the same result. :rfr

They have been selling it in a 12oz. bottle sans cork for over a year.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Funny, I have had bad luck with that beer, entirely because it's been flat and the cork has rotted inside the bottle. Some QC needs to happen over there. Each time I took it back and got another bottle, the same result. :rfr

Sadly, even with the good batches it's the Monk's Blues of Belgian-style ale.

Sadly, even with the good batches it's the Monk's Blues of Belgian-style ale.

:lol: So true, and not representative of the brewery's other much better beers. One would be better off buying their other beers and finding the artwork online for the Thelonious (or buy a hat or t-shirt instead.) The Dogfish sounds likes something they could handle as it's not that far outside of past & current brews.

I wish they had explained what they meant by "baffling" with regards to the DVD - does that mean bad?

I suspect that they mean unexpectedly abstract. This DVD has had very good writeups - in particular 'Jazzwise' here in the UK raves about it in this month's edition. I'm sure it will be great - looking forward to seeing it (and hearing the Tanglewood concert).

There is conflicting information about which mix was used for this reissue (the original Teo Macero mix or the 1998 Mark Wilder-remix)

For the Miles fans who already have the 4CD "Complete Bitches Brew sessions" box set, the most interesting aspect of this new reissue - besides the concert DVD - would be the original mix (as announced in the press release).

One Amazon cutomer is certain the the 1998 remix was used again:

http://www.amazon.com/Original-mix-or-1998-remix/forum/Fx38HKZUF6YLPIR/TxUO0ZDN1GQ39X/1/ref=cm_cd_fp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B003M0H4NG

I saw this re-re-re-issue in my local Tower this afternoon and unless I had some weird type of hallucination, again, it says "Remastered from the original 8 track tapes in 1998 by Mark Wilder" on the pack of the slip case. Anyone else that actually has had this in their hands should be able to confirm this, it's printed in a fairly obvious place, bottom left corner.

I'm curious about it and the DVD but, it's not one I listen to an awful lot and I can't see myself reaching for the DVD too much either, or was this a particularly good gig???

I will just wait for the 40th Anniversary box... If the Legacy Edition is the previous '98 remix, I have that, then the 3 disc isn't worth it. Most if not all the other Legacy Editions have used the same masterings though the Sketches 50th sounds different and a bit less bright than the box version to me.

brew.jpg

Is that for real?

I sure hope so. I could really use a swig right about now.

After having bitched about this (no pun intended), I did some math. The Amazon description of the 3-CD set is as follows:

http://www.amazon.com/Bitches-Brew-Legacy-Miles-Davis/dp/tracks/B003M0H4NG/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_2

Retail price is about $24, so I could get it for about $16 with a Borders' coupon.

not without paying for that Borders coupon:

http://www.annarbor.com/business-review/borders-upgrading-rewards-program-in-effort-to-lure-more-customers/