Miles' Bitches Brew

CJ Shearn

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think they will no longer mail out those 33% to 40% off coupons? It was not clear from the article.

The free membership includes (their email copy, I added helpful #s):

1) Receive coupons for in-store and online savings.

2) EARN $5 IN BORDERS BUCKS when you achieve $150 in annual qualifying purchases

3) FREE SHIPPING ON ONLINE ORDERS OF $25 OR MORE

4) 30% OFF Hardcover Bestsellers list-price (in-store)

So if the store survives there will still be coupons.

That's what I thought I'd read in the e-mail as well, but GregK seemed to think otherwise.

Can't say I find much anymore even with the coupon, and I can probably get the same price online, but I just like the browsing at an actual store - I will sometimes see something I didn't think to look for this way. With online shopping, I need to know ahead of time what I want. Of course, online has a lot more inventory.

I'll get the BB soon, too bad it's still the 1998 mastering. I agree with Chuck on principle, but medjuck's rationale makes sense to me. This is the first time I will be able to get an official copy of a DVD of Miles and Wayne. Unless I'm mistaken, all the other ones out there are European boots. Why the estate didn't put out a DVD box-set years ago with some quintet shows and some lost quintet shows is beyond me.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

That's what I thought I'd read in the e-mail as well, but GregK seemed to think otherwise.

Can't say I find much anymore even with the coupon, and I can probably get the same price online, but I just like the browsing at an actual store - I will sometimes see something I didn't think to look for this way. With online shopping, I need to know ahead of time what I want. Of course, online has a lot more inventory.

I'll get the BB soon, too bad it's still the 1998 mastering. I agree with Chuck on principle, but medjuck's rationale makes sense to me. This is the first time I will be able to get an official copy of a DVD of Miles and Wayne. Unless I'm mistaken, all the other ones out there are European boots. Why the estate didn't put out a DVD box-set years ago with some quintet shows and some lost quintet shows is beyond me.

Bertrand.

Unfortunately, the last time I browsed through Borders', there isn't wnything to browse.

I didn't "seem" to think anything. I read the same article that I posted, which said nothing about continuing the coupon mailings. What is this email everyone is referring to?

I didn't "seem" to think anything. I read the same article that I posted, which said nothing about continuing the coupon mailings. What is this email everyone is referring to?

An email from Borders Rewards saying they'll still email coupons, amongst other "features" of free membership.

So far just listened to the two new alternates. Both are great - Wayne takes a fairly long solo on 'Spanish Key', and both Wayne and Miles play on 'John McLaughlin' (they did not play on the master take).

Why these were left off the 1998 box is a mystery. I hope to watch the DVD this week-end.

Bertrand.

The p.r. for the 40th anniversary box still says "2 CDs containing the original 94-plus minutes of music, in their original 8-track studio mixes unavailable on CD for many years, plus several bonus cuts."

Not sure what that "unavailable on CD for many years" part means. The original US CD release was awful.

The 1998 mix seems a lot brighter to my ears.

Same here.

I compared it to vinyl the other day. Certainly a lot greater percussion detail and I think they did a very good job remastering it, but I still prefer the old vinyl. Harvey Brooks' bass and the space around Miles' echoed trumpet sounds better on vinyl.

Interestingly, Enrico Merlin says four seconds of Pharoah's Dance was left out of the 1998 remaster. It's brief piano passage around the 8:29 mark. Not the kind of thing I would have noticed.

Ha, I could care less about beer.

The original mix has those sound differences on cd too B. C. There were several Japanese cd versions in the eighties and nineties that used the original mix. I have one of them, bought from one of the forum members years ago, lp facimile, it's my go to for Bitches Brew since I don't do vinyl these days.

The press release about the Legacy edition says the same thing that it still says about the Deluxe edition. I'd be VERY surprised if it were the original mix when it's rolled out. (Which should be soon).

So far just listened to the two new alternates. Both are great - Wayne takes a fairly long solo on 'Spanish Key', and both Wayne and Miles play on 'John McLaughlin' (they did not play on the master take).

Why these were left off the 1998 box is a mystery. I hope to watch the DVD this week-end.

Bertrand.

Then why was Belden (I think it was Bob Belden) quoted at the time as saying that the alternate of "John McLaughlin" not different enough to warrant release? Having both Miles and Shorter play on the alternate seems like enough of a difference to at least include it on the COMPLETE SESSIONS BOX SET!!

Ha, I could care less about beer.

The original mix has those sound differences on cd too B. C. There were several Japanese cd versions in the eighties and nineties that used the original mix. I have one of them, bought from one of the forum members years ago, lp facimile, it's my go to for Bitches Brew since I don't do vinyl these days.

The press release about the Legacy edition says the same thing that it still says about the Deluxe edition. I'd be VERY surprised if it were the original mix when it's rolled out. (Which should be soon).

Edited by jazzbo

OK this is kinda giving my brain an owee...

The original cd issue of Bitches Brew, the one with the purple border on the cover, is not worth investigating as it is either not very good or not the "original" mix that would have appeared on vinyl, correct?

7ed781b0c8a0a1bf8873b110.L.jpg

Then there was the original Complete Bitches Brew Sessions 4 cd Box Set from 1998(?)and the Legacy 2 cd set from 1999(?)that included "Feio" as a bonus, ie the first Mark Wilder mix, correct?

Now there is this 2 cd and DVD set that has the same mix as the first Mark Wilder mix, with some bonus tracks and single edits that were not on the Complete Bitches Brew Sessions 4 cd Box Set from 1998, correct?

I also have a Japanese mini-lp set from the late 90's(I think), the cds themselves are black with gold writing and have MASTER SOUND printed on them, and has the 9118 number on the spine, it seems to be mentioned/discussed here , although not very clearly, so is this edition the original vinyl era mix, or as close as you're going to get???

I'm going to lie down for a while now.

P.S. there are some clips from the DVD here.

Edited by Cliff Englewood

I also have a Japanese mini-lp set from the late 90's(I think), the cds themselves are black with gold writing and have MASTER SOUND printed on them, and has the 9118 number on the spine, it seems to be mentioned/discussed here , although not very clearly, so is this edition the original vinyl era mix, or as close as you're going to get???

The Japanese set SRCS 9118~9 has the original mix. I have the fatboy jewel case version of that one.

The original cd issue of Bitches Brew, the one with the purple border on the cover, is not worth investigating as it is either not very good or not the "original" mix that would have appeared on vinyl, correct?

Then there was the original Complete Bitches Brew Sessions 4 cd Box Set from 1998(?)and the Legacy 2 cd set from 1999(?)that included "Feio" as a bonus, ie the first Mark Wilder mix, correct?

Now there is this 2 cd and DVD set that has the same mix as the first Mark Wilder mix, with some bonus tracks and single edits that were not on the Complete Bitches Brew Sessions 4 cd Box Set from 1998, correct?

I'm not sure which mix the original U.S. CD used, but it was flatter than a pancake. According to Enrico Merlin's sessionography at the back of Paul Tingen's book Miles Beyond, it does have the four seconds of keyboard in the middle of "Pharoah's Dance" which disappeared from future reissues.

Those Master Sounds are reputed to be very good.

The Japanese set SRCS 9118~9 has the original mix. I have the fatboy jewel case version of that one.

Cheers, I was listening to the Master Sound version and the Legacy 2 cd set from 1999 and the Master Sound version just sounds a bit mellower, if that's even a word, a more enjoyable listen in general terms. It's funny but the first line in the blurb at the back of the Legacy 2 cd set from 1999 actually says "Given a bright new remix..." Also I'm not sure that "Feio" is all that much to write home about.

BTW there is quite a lot of Miles footage from 1969 on youtube, I presume people know this already, but just in case.

I'm not sure which mix the original U.S. CD used, but it was flatter than a pancake. According to Enrico Merlin's sessionography at the back of Paul Tingen's book Miles Beyond, it does have the four seconds of keyboard in the middle of "Pharoah's Dance" which disappeared from future reissues.

Those Master Sounds are reputed to be very good.

Cheers for that, but I think I can live without those 4 seconds. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Also, is it just me or does anyone else find Bitches Brew to be a more enjoyable listen by starting with "sides" 3 and 4 and then going on to "sides" 1 and 2???