Miles' Bitches Brew

CJ Shearn

It's possible that the new LPs were made from the original LP cutting master, i.e. a tape that is equalised for LP cutting and that is a generation down from the actual master tape.

It's possible Legacy is just saving the original mix for ANOTHER CD reissue, perhaps the 50th Anniversary.

The settings made by the guy cutting the lp laquers makes all the difference, no matter the source.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I mentioned in post #56 above, there is a Miles at Tanglewood set available at Wolfgang's vault dated 8/18/70.

1) What is the date of the Tanglewood set in the big box?

2) What else is in the big box that's not in the 1998 box or the Legacy set?

Bertrand.

P.S. Amazon and Wolfgang show the same track listing. Amazon shows nothing else in the box except the vinyl version.

Edited by bertrand

I'm 99 percent certain the same show is on Wolfgang's. And there's audio AND video on blogs. But some of us want to collect physical product, the more official the better.

Aside from the Tanglewood the box has no audio or video not included on the Legacy set, some alternate and single pieces not in the box and of course the video. There's also printed material in this edition not available in the others.

Having first watched the DVD, I have been listening to the cds on the new Legacy edition. The sound is fine, but not as warm as the Japanese Mastersound edition, even though the Japanese version I have used the US (Wilder) remaster - go figure. While the alternates are fine, I do miss having "Feio" which I think fits better with the other Bitches Brew tracks, "Great Expectations" and "Little Blue Frog"- with the use of sitar - sound out of place to me on Bitches Brew and of course, belong on Big Fun.

Edited by skeith

For anyone who wishes Sony Legacy would release the original mix of Bitches Brew on CD, please add your votes here:

http://feedback.legacyrecordings.com/forums/6333-reissue-requests/suggestions/1104331-please-release-the-original-mix-of-miles-davis-b

It's on CD, in the Complete Columbia Album Collection box, but I guess you want it to be made available on an individual CD.

• 2 weeks later...

O.K., so I caved and bought the new 3 disc Legacy Edition and I have to say it is probably worth getting it even if you are already familar with the album. The DVD is very good even though I probably won't watch it all that often, they defintely get better as the gig proceeds, they are just fantastic on the last few tunes. The new alternates are very good too, maybe because "Spanish Key" and "John McLaughlin" happen to be 2 tunes I really like anyway, but overall worth getting IMHO.

O.K., so I caved and bought the new 3 disc Legacy Edition and I have to say it is probably worth getting it even if you are already familar with the album. The DVD is very good even though I probably won't watch it all that often, they defintely get better as the gig proceeds, they are just fantastic on the last few tunes. The new alternates are very good too, maybe because "Spanish Key" and "John McLaughlin" happen to be 2 tunes I really like anyway, but overall worth getting IMHO.

I caved in too. I'd agree, worth getting, a good buy at the price.

I might cave as well. I can get credit for my old copy, and "Feio" never did a thing for me so I'd be better off without that track in my life. :lol: I do have vinyl to hear the original mix though sadly it has loads of surface noise.

Edited by Quincy

I might cave as well. I can get credit for my old copy, and "Feio" never did a thing for me so I'd be better off without that track in my life. :lol:

I'm with you on "Feio", every time I hear it I always think it sounds not just unfinished but unstarted. :g :g :g

Here's a link to a site devoted the the artist who did the painting which was used for the cover of "Bitches Brew", along with many others, some nice stuff, but I don't think they like people hotlinking the pictures.

Mati Klarwein Online Art Gallery

Yeah, I've noticed Klarwein's work was used for Reuben Wilson's Blue Mode and Jackie McLean's Demon's Dance.

Why not buy something new?

Why not record and release something new on Nessa?

I'm sure Chuck would be very happy to do just that if you sent him a few thousand $$$...

I don't think Chuck will be very happy ever, with anything, but maybe as he and his company concentrate on nothing but re-issues, at the moment anyway, he should refrain from commenting when people choose to spend their time and money on other re-issues.