Miles' Bitches Brew

CJ Shearn

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not buy something new?

Why not record and release something new on Nessa?

I'm sure Chuck would be very happy to do just that if you sent him a few thousand $$$...

I don't think Chuck will be very happy ever, with anything, but maybe as he and his company concentrate on nothing but re-issues, at the moment anyway, he should refrain from commenting when people choose to spend their time and money on other re-issues.

I am frequently disappointed, but usually happy - just ask people who know me. :P

My last issue was not a reissue. I am currently working on 2 new titles, not reissues. I am also working on 4 reissues. I feel if I record something, I owe it to the artists to make the material available (so they can make some money and get recognition) as best I can.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

I'm sure Chuck would be very happy to do just that if you sent him a few thousand $$...

I don't think Chuck will be very happy ever, with anything, but maybe as he and his company concentrate on nothing but re-issues, at the moment anyway, he should refrain from commenting when people choose to spend their time and money on other re-issues.

Do you even know Chuck? I'm guessing not.

I'm sure Chuck would be very happy to do just that if you sent him a few thousand $$...

Do you even know Chuck? I'm guessing not.

No, I don't know him, and his persona on here makes me glad I don't. He takes pride in being a curmudgeon and at the same time, takes it to new levels, I can't stand the whole Vietnam Vet-esque "I was there man, you don't understand/you weren't there man, you don't understand" attitude he takes when talking about the "good ole days" or the "I've already listened to it loads of times, you don't have to" stance. What I really don't like though is the way the "fans" will always defend his sometimes rude behaviour with a "Oh that's just Chuck", when I'm rude apparantly I'm just rude. I find him quite annoying most of the time, that's just me, everybody doesn't have to like everybody else you know.

Now back to "Bitches Brew".

Edited by Cliff Englewood

Well it's good to hear he's not just milking the cash cow that is AEC.

Yes, Chuck is living in a 200 room mansion with butlers and maids attending to his every whim solely based on the millions of dollars he rakes in by releasing atonal avant-garde experimental jazz (always a hit with the kids!) on vinyl and CD. Since he makes so much money and doesn't have to worry about the normal earthly quandries of mouth breathers like you and I, he instead spends his time posting pointed jabs at us, the mere peons on this board, jabs that are purposely curt and vague so that folks like you can hide behind an alias and assuredly proclaim that he's a total asshole without ever actually meeting him in person.

I don't know what the misunderstanding is here, regarding Chuck's comment.

Why not buy some new music instead of something that has been around (outside of the DVD and the singles) for ages? The way the majors suck the juice out of their catalogues rubs me ( and maybe Chuck) the wrong way.

I'm all for everyone enjoying any music in their own way, but Chuck's comment was benign, really. You could of said something like "I don't have this music in any form so now is my chance". Hell, you could of said "I like having multiple copies and the latest revisions of my favorite music. And by the way, I also purchase new titles too".

Well it's good to hear he's not just milking the cash cow that is AEC.

Yes, Chuck is living in a 200 room mansion with butlers and maids attending to his every whim solely based on the millions of dollars he rakes in by releasing atonal avant-garde experimental jazz..

Oh come on, I don't think an emoticon was necessary to see that was a joke. At least I laughed.

It's funny how with Ellington there's never any of the concern of rebuying music even if 80% of the content is already owned due to compilation overlap. (Maybe we're too busy with the joy of figuring the mess out to complain.) And god help you if you're interested in some rock reissue as that's always "nostalgia" which Chuck likes to remind people in such threads when he does a drop by. The Bitches Brew re-re-re-re-re-release wasn't even on my radar as I assumed Columbia was milking the turkey again with a straight release plus another "Little Blue Frog" until people started mentioning how great the DVD is. I have a lot of new interests (though not many are jazz) so I'm not sure when or if I'll get around to buying BB for a 3rd time (which puts it on a short list of multiple purchase titles), but it's something that I still play occasionally & is important to me, and damn it, it's likely because of the dreaded n-word (nostalgia).

Edited by Quincy

Oh come on, I don't think an emoticon was necessary to see that was a joke. At least I laughed.

Is this a joke, too?

I thought it was so obviously a joke that an emoticon would have ruined it. You can't honestly think that I believed the AEC stuff makes money can you, I mean no one is that dumb, but then maybe you're one of the 20% on Americans who think Obama is a Muslim?

No, I don't know him, and his persona on here makes me glad I don't.

Funny how we can make sweeping judgments about each other from pixels on a computer screen, isn't it?

It is funny how we can make sweeping judgments about each other from pixels on a computer screen, you've done it to me before and you're doing it to me now with posts like that.

Do you know what else is funny, how certin people seem to pick and choose who and what they get upset about on this board and then get on their high horse and have a bit of a whine. It's also funny the kind of behaviour these people seem to be able to not only tolerate and accept, but completely turn a blind eye too, very funny indeed.

I objected to what Chuck said because he says that kind of thing fairly regularly, do a search if you don't believe me and also because if you have no interest in the current re-re-reissue of a particular album, why start commenting in the thread? Other than being a pretentious ass, there is no reason.

But now I realise my mistake, I see now that occasionally recording and re-issuing avant garde jazz over the years is basically God's work, Chuck is a Saint, an innocent and fragile one at that, one who does no wrong, one that cannot be critised, ever, fucking butter wouldn't melt in his fucking mouth. Charity workers? Nurses? Soldiers? Those kinds of people make me sick, it's poor, defenceless part-time avant garde jazz producers, they're society’s real heroes.

I also forgot that I'm the only one on here "hiding behind an alias", when I joined I saw people had funny jazz related names so I picked one I though was amusing, big fucking deal.

Edited by Cliff Englewood

I also forgot that I'm the only one on here "hiding behind an alias", when I joined I saw people had funny jazz related names so I picked one I though was amusing, big fucking deal.

Wait, that's not your real name? I don't get the joke then. I'm clearly missing something here.

Wait, that's not your real name? I don't get the joke then. I'm clearly missing something here.

Englewood Cliffs, NJ

Ok, so in my rush to defend Chuck I missed an "obvious" joke. I apologize. Though it kinda makes my point, doesn't it?

This is still a shitty thing to say, anyway you cut it:

And yes, I am biased towards certain members here, including Chuck, Allen, and Dan, because I've had the pleasure of meeting them in real life and they're all really nice guys that I would love to hang with again. And you're probably the same way, but you come across just as opinionated and curmudgeonly as Chuck can, imo. So pot, meet kettle.

Ok, so in my rush to defend Chuck I missed an "obvious" joke. I apologize. Though it kinda makes my point, doesn't it?

Maybe next time you're rushing to defend someone oh masked stranger, remember to bring along your sense of humour. It doesn't make your point at all, it just means you have even less of a sense of humour when you're being self righteous.

I've read a lot worse things on here, some of the directed at me, yet strangly they didn't seem to bother you at all, kinda makes my point, doesn't it?

And yes, I am biased towards certain members here, including Chuck, Allen, and Dan, because I've had the pleasure of meeting them in real life and they're all really nice guys that I would love to hang with again. And you're probably the same way, but you come across just as opinionated and curmudgeonly as Chuck can, imo. So pot, meet kettle.

Thanks for finally admitting that, I was almost becoming a little paranoid there, and seeing as my opinionated and curmudgeonly behaviour is so abhorrent to you and probably the community at large, maybe you should just man up and ban me? Go on, it will make you feel much better.

There's also such a thing as cred - people like Chuck have made tangible contributions to the music under discussion here, and those contributions earn respect, which in turn lends cred, which in turn, yeah, gets them more slack cut than some anonymous fan gets. This is the way of the world, the music world in particular. Of course, nobody is under obligation to buy into any of it, and even those who do are free to set limits, but the whole notion that "all members should be viewed equally" flies in the face of the "rules of life" in general. Those who are "proven producers" establish a presence that those who aren't don't automatically have granted to them.

In a sense it's a meritocracy, in a sense it's not, but I've yet to go anywhere in life where it doesn't play out.

Maybe next time you're rushing to defend someone oh masked stranger, remember to bring along your sense of humour. It doesn't make your point at all, it just means you have even less of a sense of humour when you're being self righteous.

I've read a lot worse things on here, some of the directed at me, yet strangly they didn't seem to bother you at all, kinda makes my point, doesn't it?

Thanks for finally admitting that, I was almost becoming a little paranoid there, and seeing as my opinionated and curmudgeonly behaviour is so abhorrent to you and probably the community at large, maybe you should just man up and ban me? Go on, it will make you feel much better.

If this last comment is meant as humor, perhaps you should have included an emoticon. I thought that Jim was reaching out to you.

I've had no problem with your posts before this. You and Allen had a feud, but I took that as two guys with strong egos butting heads and maybe taking it a bit far, but that was between the two of you. I did think you overreacted to a relatively harmless remark by Chuck, who has some stong opinions, but who will back those opinions with good reasoning.

Chuck is a great guy. You probably are too. Hope all of this will come to an end, as there's no good reason for it not to.