Joe Henderson

skeith

Been offline for a while but listening to lots of Joe H. Anyone got recommendations of Joe on other folks records? There are a lot of sideman performances and thought I'd look for some. The Penguin Guide in my old edition recommends Richard Davis' Fancy Free (which I can't find) Any other stellar performances out there on other peoples records that I'm missing?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been offline for a while but listening to lots of Joe H. Anyone got recommendations of Joe on other folks records? There are a lot of sideman performances and thought I'd look for some. The Penguin Guide in my old edition recommends Richard Davis' Fancy Free (which I can't find) Any other stellar performances out there on other peoples records that I'm missing?

Big, big topic, but thinking off the top, five indispensable Blue Notes that Joe just kills on are McCoy Tyner's "The Real McCoy," Andrew Hill's "Black Fire," Larry Young's "Unity," Pete LaRoca's "Basra" and Kenny Dorham's "Una Mas." Lots of interesting records of more recent vintage, too, but I've got to do some work. More later.

Big, big topic, but thinking off the top, five indispensable Blue Notes that Joe just kills on are McCoy Tyner's "The Real McCoy," Andrew Hill's "Black Fire," Larry Young's "Unity," Pete LaRoca's "Basra" and Kenny Dorham's "Una Mas." Lots of interesting records of more recent vintage, too, but I've got to do some work. More later.

+Idle Moments and at least one of the Horace Silvers (either Song For My Father or Cape Verdean Blues)

I concur, especially Black Fire and Unity but my favorite out of all these amazing sides actually might be "Our Thing". There is just something so special to me about that date......

As for non Blue Note stuff, Power to the People is the shit to me, it might even be my favorite Joe record......

I concur, especially Black Fire and Unity but my favorite out of all these amazing sides actually might be "Our Thing". There is just something so special to me about that date......

As for non Blue Note stuff, Power to the People is the shit to me, it might even be my favorite Joe record......

Actually hadn't gone through all my blue note stuff and Basra and Unity are firm faves so will do some serious listening there. It was Song for my Father that started me listening to Joe since his solos on that are so economical but really good.

Roy Ayers Virgo Vibes: Never heard this so will see if I can find it. Like Roy Ayers too!

Though he's his own man now IMO, when Rich Perry was with the Vanguard Orchestra, they called him "Little Joe."

This goes back a few years, to '76. JH was 1 of 2 major tenor influences, the other being Wayne Shorter. Mark Levine came out w/a a really interesting LP: Up Til Now (Catalyst, and long out of print I'm sure). I got it b/c of Tom Harrell-and he's great on it but so is Ray Pizzi and the writing and thinking by Levine. I can't remember the tenor player's name now, but his piece was Owed to Joe.

Though he's his own man now IMO, when Rich Perry was with the Vanguard Orchestra, they called him "Little Joe."

This goes back a few years, to '76. JH was 1 of 2 major tenor influences, the other being Wayne Shorter. Mark Levine came out w/a a really interesting LP: Up Til Now (Catalyst, and long out of print I'm sure). I got it b/c of Tom Harrell-and he's great on it but so is Ray Pizzi and the writing and thinking by Levine. I can't remember the tenor player's name now, but his piece was Owed to Joe.

I have that Levine LP. Just looking at it now. Will have to give it a spin. The tenor player is Mike Morris.

Bobby Hutcherson - The Kicker - Blue Note

Duke Pearson - Wahoo - Blue Note

Lee Morgan - The Rumproller - Blue Note

Bobby Hutcherson - Stick Up - Blue Note

Duke Pearson - Sweet Honey Bee - Blue Note

Paris Reunion Band - For Klook - Sonet/Gazell

Frank Morgan - Reflections - Contemporary

Arnett Cobb - Tenor Tribute - Soul Note

Arnett Cobb - Tenor Tribute 2 - Soul Note

Mulgrew Miller - The Countdown - Landmark

Bebop & Beyond - Plays Thelonious Monk - Blue Moon

McCoy Tyner - New York Reunion - Chesky

Valery Ponomarev - Profile - Reservoir

Walter Norris - Sunburst - Concord Jazz

James Williams Meets The saxophone Masters - DIW

Roy Hargrove - Tenors Of The Time - Verve

Some of the best playing of Joe's I ever heard was when he took part in a re-incarnation of George Gruntz' Noon In Tunisia project - it was performed at the German Jazz Festival in Frankfurt and recorded by the local radio, who is part responsible for that festival. They should release that on CD - Joe was brilliant in that context, his own version of the sheets of sounds perfectly fitted into the Arabian context.

Edited by mikeweil

Neil Swainson '49th Parallel' (Concord). Obscure but good.

Yes, that's a good one; Woody Shaw is also in the front line.

Here's another one, even more obscure, on Justin Time, rec. in Montreal, Dec. 1988. It's very good. Bassist Swainson is on this one too, along with Jerry Fulller on drums.

JUST030.jpg

Edited by John Tapscott

Neil Swainson '49th Parallel' (Concord). Obscure but good.

Yes, that's a good one; Woody Shaw is also in the front line.

Here's another one, even more obscure, on Justin Time, rec. in Montreal, Dec. 1988. It's very good. Bassist Swainson is on this one too, along with Jerry Fulller on drums.

JUST030.jpg

Whew! I have never even seen that one..... Something else to look for. To me JH was the essence of a pro. He could do it all inside, outside, solo, small group, big band..... just great!!

there are a couple of tracks with prime later Joe Henderson on these 2 terrific albums:

Mal Waldron - Soul Eyes 1997 with appearances by Abbey Lincoln and Jeanne Lee but most importantly all with the great trio of Mal, Reggie Workman and Andrew Cyrille.

One of the great Waldron recordings

Bheki Mseleku - Timelessness - another wonderful recording I think from the early 90's - also with a strong feature from Pharoah Sanders

There's a beautiful Kenny Burrell recording from the late 60s-early 7os: Ellington is Forever. It came out then as 2 LPs. I can't even remember the personell, but I seem to recall Sweets Edison. Everybody was on that level. Nice ensembles, solo pieces by the leader, and vocals too. JH was the youngblood on it and blended right in-though well into a career gigging and recording as a leader. You can hear the humility, joy, and respect.

There's a beautiful Kenny Burrell recording from the late 60s-early 7os: Ellington is Forever. It came out then as 2 LPs. I can't even remember the personell, but I seem to recall Sweets Edison. Everybody was on that level. Nice ensembles, solo pieces by the leader, and vocals too. JH was the youngblood on it and blended right in-though well into a career gigging and recording as a leader. You can hear the humility, joy, and respect.

A little discussion of this side here: AOTW

Joe plays great on the two Griffith Park Collection LPs, especially the 2-LP live recording "The Griffith Park Collection 2 In Concert."

He also appears on a couple of good records by the fine guitarist Akio Sasajima, who I think is still somewhere around San Francisco but whom I knew as a Chicagoan some 25 years ago. "Humpty Dumpty" (Enja) and "Akio" (Muse)

Edited by Mark Stryker

There's a beautiful Kenny Burrell recording from the late 60s-early 7os: Ellington is Forever. It came out then as 2 LPs...

A little discussion of this side here: AOTW

Thanks! I have in storage. How could I forqet Thad?! A hero. I rememcer My Little Brown Book being sung, forgot it was e Ernie pandrews. As for Jimmy Jones-maybe one of the all-time underrated people. Listen to his string writing for Wes on Fusion! or backing of Sarah Vaughan on that womderful EmArCy w(Brownie and all those ballads. (is it called Sarah or Sarah Vaughan?) I have to get back to Kenny's date. There's 2 ways to be a leader: try to show what a MF you are and risk being a hog or bore-or show how beautiful the music is while being a good, uninsecure host. Kenny is such a class act.

1341887565' post='1209707']

Joe plays great on the two Griffith Park Collection LPs, especially the 2-LP live recording "The Griffith Park Collection 2 In Concert."

He also appears on a couple of good records by the fine guitarist Akio Sasajima, who I think is still somewhere around San Francisco but whom I knew as a Chicagoan some 25 years ago. "Humpty Dumpty" (Enja) and "Akio" (Muse)

Irecently got hold of the Griffith Park concerts, good stuff indeed. I've had the Sasajima 'Humpty Dumpty' for a while but haven't given it a listen since I got it. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Joe's playing on the Johnny Coles Blue Note, it's not as if it's that obscure a record. I also love Joe's soloing on 'Soul Surge' on Freddie Hubbard's 'Blue Spirits'.

• 7 years later...

I am dusting off this old thread simply to express my gratitude for the fantastic insight and opinions all of you share on this forum. I just created an account so I can finally register my thanks for this place and for you people.

Any time I have wanted to get smart about an artist or album over the past couple years I've always just punched [artist] or [album] + organissimo into Google and more often than not I've been led to good stuff. This thread has been one of my faves over the course of my hours lurking here, so seemed a fitting place to say thanks for sharing your insights and for keeping the internet interesting!

Also, I should add: if anyone would like a copy of the complete performance of Joe's 1971 Junk Club Tokyo set (of "Joe Henderson in Japan" fame), send me a message and I'll get it to you. Even if you're already familiar with 4 of the 5 tunes, hearing the emcee announce "Ladies and gentlemen, Junk is proud to present Joe Henderson Quartet..." as the band slams into "Junk Blues" will get your blood pumping...

• 2 months later...