skeith

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Late said:

This album is new to me. Thanks for the heads-up! Interesting to hear Rosnes with Henderson:

Yeach, wish I knew more about the provenance of this one. Airshot? Definitely a live recording. This resource tells us it's from Bradley's in SF, 1986. I believe this was a working trio.

I didn't realize that Marlene Rosenberg's career extended that far back.  Quite by accident ended up sitting next to her at the newly-reopened Cafe Bohemia this past January during a Wallace Roney gig.  

I swear to God I read an interview with Joe while he was still alive in which he lamented Verve's lack of interest in releasing anything by his trio.  But not sure what era/incarnation he was referring to.

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

I didn't realize that Marlene Rosenberg's career extended that far back.  Quite by accident ended up sitting next to her at the newly-reopened Cafe Bohemia this past January during a Wallace Roney gig.  

I swear to God I read an interview with Joe while he was still alive in which he lamented Verve's lack of interest in releasing anything by his trio.  But not sure what era/incarnation he was referring to.

Marlene is on Facebook - ask her about it.

9 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Irene Rosnes??? - so Renee's actual name was Irene Louise. Didn't know that.

Which is why Renee is pronounced Ree-Nee and not with the French accent at the end.

I once asked Renee about this all female rhythm section with Joe and she lamented the fact that it never made a record so I doubt that this is a legit release.

Edited by bresna

9 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Irene Rosnes??? - so Renee's actual name was Irene Louise. Didn't know that.

She's part Indian descent and was adopted, IIRC. She tells the story in the notes to this CD, again IIRC, I don't have that disc anymore.

R-11720614-1521302017-3937.jpeg.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

12 hours ago, Joe said:

There's also this one, which may or may not be a boot [?].

R-12526834-1537689287-4928.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Joe-Henderson-Punjab/master/1487182

I saw that band live (with a different bassist who was replaced by Rosenberg as she was expecting a child). Joe chose an all-woman band to point out the excellent quality of female jazz players - great move. 

Joe was touring a lot in Europe during those years, more than in the USA. Saw him three or four times. He even dropped in when I was playing with a singer at a local club to check out the venue with his agent. That was shortly after he had recorded the Mulgrew Miller date for Landmark. Nice guy, for sure.

13 hours ago, jlhoots said:

By stealth you mean unknown.

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

Relatively unknown, yes. Compared to many Blue Note/Milestone/Verve/Etc. And no drop-off in quality either. Never got major distribution or press in the US 

Yes!  Barcelona is a good one.  Ed Soph is kind of hidden away in academia, but he is an excellent drummer.

4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I saw that band live (with a different bassist who was replaced by Rosenberg as she was expecting a child). Joe chose an all-woman band to point out the excellent quality of female jazz players - great move. 

Joe was touring a lot in Europe during those years, more than in the USA. Saw him three or four times. He even dropped in when I was playing with a singer at a local club to check out the venue with his agent. That was shortly after he had recorded the Mulgrew Miller date for Landmark. Nice guy, for sure.

Nice!

BTW, wah's the deal with all the Joe tunes on the Pepper Adams / Zoot Sims Prestige date from 1968 (ENCOUNTER)? I mean, I get the Detroit theme and all, but I do wonder who brought those tunes — "Punjab" and "Serenity" — to the table. Pepper?

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Nice!

BTW, wah's the deal with all the Joe tunes on the Pepper Adams / Zoot Sims Prestige date from 1968 (ENCOUNTER)? I mean, I get the Detroit theme and all, but I do wonder who brought those tunes — "Punjab" and "Serenity" — to the table. Pepper?

The date was produced independently by Fred Norsworthy and then sold to Prestige. According to an interview with Norsworthy in the annotated Pepper Adams discography, Adams picked all the tunes. 

I've always liked the dopey tempo of Punjab, and Carter does some wild glissandos on that one. For sure one of the most enjoyable covers of Punjab. But it does not feel like a tune that Zoot Sims would ever had played, before or after. 🙂 

21 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

The date was produced independently by Fred Norsworthy and then sold to Prestige. According to an interview with Norsworthy in the annotated Pepper Adams discography, Adams picked all the tunes. 

I've always liked the dopey tempo of Punjab, and Carter does some wild glissandos on that one. For sure one of the most enjoyable covers of Punjab. But it does not feel like a tune that Zoot Sims would ever had played, before or after. 🙂 

Thanks. And agree with you - Love that version of "Punjab". Flanagan's solo is particularly fine!

R-2534598-1414081701-8456.jpeg.jpgR-2534598-1414081689-9026.jpeg.jpg

This album came out on compact disc, and there was also a second disc ("More From An Evening With Joe Henderson") with three more tracks from the same date. The seven tracks together (80 minutes) can fit on one disc.

1. Ask Me Now
2. Serenity
3. Beatrice
4. Invitation
5. Visa
6. Rue Chaptal
7. All The Things You Are

To me, Joe's sound is far more robust than on the Blue Note trio dates of the same period.

Okay, just checked: the title More From An Evening With Joe Henderson might be download-only (and not a disc as stated above). I have it as a download. The music is excellent. Weird that all seven tunes couldn't have been placed on the same disc. Apparently Henderson told Charlie Haden that this was his favorite recording of himself.

As much as I love Charlie Haden's playing, I don't find him a good fit for this particular setting. He doesn't take away from the music, but I keep wanting to hear, say, Richard Davis. But that's just me. The album is strongly recommended nevertheless.

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

Just finished the first (an intriguing look at crime and political corruption in 1920s/early 30s Los Angeles) and am halfway through the second (which is a 2020 reprint of the 1977 edition, with a new foreword by Gornick):

6367573.jpg

9781788735506-aed0031e3aa8023717cb29ddfa

Is Joe Henderson in the book?:D

1 hour ago, Late said:

Okay, just checked: the title More From An Evening With Joe Henderson might be download-only (and not a disc as stated above). I have it as a download. The music is excellent. Weird that all seven tunes couldn't have been placed on the same disc. Apparently Henderson told Charlie Haden that this was his favorite recording of himself.

As much as I love Charlie Haden's playing, I don't find him a good fit for this particular setting. He doesn't take away from the music, but I keep wanting to hear, say, Richard Davis. But that's just me. The album is strongly recommended nevertheless.

"More..." is available for streaming at Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/7H9h0xqGD8EiiwcJp6NriV

Agree re Haden's playing being not the best match for neither Henderson nor Foster. On the original album ("And Evening With...") he and Foster are also mixed too upfront (and Henderson a bit too distant). Foster plays well (a bit too intrusive to my taste) but the sound of his drums is really ugly. All is compensated by truly inspired playing by Henderson. I also like this trio date better than the earlier Blue Note release.       

On 4/9/2020 at 1:25 PM, Late said:

R-2407607-1294397500.jpeg.jpg

Wayne Darling is so damn good on this record. I'm listening to it right now. Darling might have been the bassist for Joe. No joke. Listen to the way he anticipates Joe's moves: when to keep with the arco, and when to go into a walking line. EVERY Joe fan should have this record. Sound is decent — not bad, not great. Thank Ghawd this 1977 gig (just "Barcelona," actually) was recorded.

49 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Agree re Haden's playing being not the best match for neither Henderson nor Foster. On the original album ("And Evening With...") he and Foster are also mixed too upfront (and Henderson a bit too distant). Foster plays well (a bit too intrusive to my taste) but the sound of his drums is really ugly. All is compensated by truly inspired playing by Henderson. I also like this trio date better than the earlier Blue Note release.       

Dig. Agreed on all accounts.

Stanley Crouch and Wynton Marsalis were in attendance for the Blue Note trio recordings. Maybe they had an effect on Joe's performance? :g I like those records, but they're a little subdued for my taste.

Edited by Late

12 minutes ago, Late said:

Wayne Darling is so damn good on this record. I'm listening to it right now. Darling might have been the bassist for Joe. No joke.

I might not be remembering this correctly, but I think this trio might have sprung forth out of the earlier (earliest?( incarnation of the Jamey Aebersold jazz clinics.

32 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I might not be remembering this correctly, but I think this trio might have sprung forth out of the earlier incarnation of the Jamey Aebersold jazz clinics.

Do you mean duo (Darling/Soph)? I was at North Texas in 1988, when Ed Soph was still there, and Jamey Aebersold gave one of his clinics. I have to say, the guy, no matter what people think of him, can play. Ed Soph was on the gig, but for the life of me, I can't remember the bassist. I don't think it was Darling. I think they brought in the bassist from the 1 O'Clock, who, at that time, was a 15 year-old wunderkind. I remember walking back to Bruce Hall thinking Damn, Aebersold's for real.

11 hours ago, Late said:

Do you mean duo (Darling/Soph)?

Yes. I went to an Aebersold clinic in 1978, and both Joe and Soph had been doing them, although neither were at this one. Darling, I have no idea. But I think I've heard tahat Joe was discovering the utility of the college circuit through these clinics and would book a gig like this one (the one at Wichita, where there might have even been a JA clinic) with players like Soph & Darling, who he had met and who could play, and who could also make the gig not too pricey.

How do folks here feel about RELAXIN' AT CAMARILLO. I know MIRROR, MIRROR gets a lot of love, and its a fine date. But I prefer the former. Chick Corea sounds a bit more fired-up on the Contemporary, IMO, spurring Joe to really dig in. I also like what Peter Erskine brings to the table, especially on this track. Sounds may find his approach a bit too "rockish"/fusion-y, but I don't know... it feels appropriately "colorful" to me in this context.

Finally, Joe and Tony Williams playing together in a small combo... that did not happen too often. But "Crimson Lake" makes a strong case for their having recorded together more frequently.