Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skeith

Joe Henderson

169 posts in this topic

What do people think of the two 1968 live discs of Joe with the Wynton Kelly trio that Verve issued in the 90s?

I’ve spent a lot of time with Straight No Chaser recently and it’s enjoyable but also underwhelming given the names on it.  Basically great musicians on a ho hum night - very different from Joe Henderson in Japan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the first volume, "Four," is out-of-this world fantastic. Joe on "On the Trail" or "Green Dolphin Street" is as great as Joe gets. On the whole, Straight No Chaser isn't quite as strong a record. As it happens, I had a conversation last week with Pat Metheny, who LOVES these records. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like both of those records very much. They swing like swing swings with all of those people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, they're both excellent. I usually don't get too excited about the Wynton Kelly Trio with Cobb, but Joe seems to bring things up a notch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I “like” them both quite a bit, though the absence of any of Joe’s originals is always an obvious detraction — which is what keeps me from really loving either of them.

The live document with Nat Adderly from Oct 1966 has some fiery-er playing from Joe than either of the two Left Banks with Wynton Kelly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_Memory_Lane
 

But it’s  a damn shame there’s nearly NO examples of Joe playing any of his own stuff in the 60’s — save for this one and ONLY example, at least that I’m aware of…

“Isotope” Monterey, 1966

 

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

I agree, they're both excellent. I usually don't get too excited about the Wynton Kelly Trio with Cobb, but Joe seems to bring things up a notch. 

The first one, it came on the radio one day in the car, and I reroted directly to a record store. SO much swing, enough swing to reroute a car for crissakes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28-11-2021 at 1:53 AM, Guy Berger said:

What do people think of the two 1968 live discs of Joe with the Wynton Kelly trio that Verve issued in the 90s?

I’ve spent a lot of time with Straight No Chaser recently and it’s enjoyable but also underwhelming given the names on it.  Basically great musicians on a ho hum night - very different from Joe Henderson in Japan.

I feel the same way. I was very excited initially when I bought them second hand on a cd/lp fair. Started listening with high expectations but was a little disappointed. Joe was doing more exciting things those years.

It’s not bad. I mean hey: it’s Joe and Wynton! But I could live without them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I agree, they're both excellent. I usually don't get too excited about the Wynton Kelly Trio with Cobb, but Joe seems to bring things up a notch. 

Same here. Wynton Kelly Trio sounds nice, but doesn´t really exite me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ll goodness, gracious — lookee, lookee!  And “Isotope” starts at 11:28 (that isn’t the song length).


Joe Henderson & Kenny Drew trio, Molde Jazz Festival, Norway, August 1968 (colorized)

Titles 1. Chelsea bridge 00:00 2. Isotope 11:28

Joe Henderson (tenor sax), Kenny Drew (piano), Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen (bass), Albert "Tootie" Heath (drums).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listened yesterday to the Verve date "Four" with the Wynton Kelly trio.  It was a decent session (in my opinion), but not anything special. The tune "On The Trail" was my favorite. The sound quality was below average. The bass & drums were not at all clear. There was a muddy quality to the sound. 

This is not unusual for a number of recordings from that Baltimore venue. I strongly suspect it was not recorded with the intent to release it on a commercial label.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Listened yesterday to the Verve date "Four" with the Wynton Kelly trio.  It was a decent session (in my opinion), but not anything special. The tune "On The Trail" was my favorite. The sound quality was below average. The bass & drums were not at all clear. There was a muddy quality to the sound. 

This is not unusual for a number of recordings from that Baltimore venue. I strongly suspect it was not recorded with the intent to release it on a commercial label.

The Left Bank was essentially recording for "archival" purposes. Almost all of the recordings were never meant for commercial release but over the years many have seen the light of day. Some are pretty well recorded many certainly are not and have a lot of issues. Some are salvageable, some are not.... But as the years pass by, a lot of them are the only documentation of many great artists performing live with their own bands during a particular period of time (or for some, ever) and for that, are quite valuable, to me at least. 

On 11/28/2021 at 0:46 PM, Mark Stryker said:

I think the first volume, "Four," is out-of-this world fantastic. Joe on "On the Trail" or "Green Dolphin Street" is as great as Joe gets. On the whole, Straight No Chaser isn't quite as strong a record. As it happens, I had a conversation last week with Pat Metheny, who LOVES these records. 

I have to agree with this and like the 2nd one as well but perhaps not as much. Joe is amazing on these and as great as I think he is, these recordings were still a bit of a surprise for me. The Village Vanguard stuff never really floated my boat. It's good but it never had repeated plays in my house....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, david weiss said:

The Left Bank was essentially recording for "archival" purposes. Almost all of the recordings were never meant for commercial release but over the years many have seen the light of day. Some are pretty well recorded many certainly are not and have a lot of issues. Some are salvageable, some are not.... But as the years pass by, a lot of them are the only documentation of many great artists performing live with their own bands during a particular period of time (or for some, ever) and for that, are quite valuable, to me at least. 

I have to agree with this and like the 2nd one as well but perhaps not as much. Joe is amazing on these and as great as I think he is, these recordings were still a bit of a surprise for me. The Village Vanguard stuff never really floated my boat. It's good but it never had repeated plays in my house....

Didn't many of those Left Bank JS recordings feature a very out of tune piano?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Didn't many of those Left Bank JS recordings feature a very out of tune piano?

Yes, the piano is out of tune to varying degrees depending on the recording. Sometimes it's not so bad, sometimes the music is so powerful, you overlook it a bit....

Sometimes it completely ruins the recording or someone with a conscious deems the recording unusable and the world at large never hears it....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Gary Bartz album from the Left Bank, 'Home' is fantastic and desperately needs CD release.  'The Free Slave' by Roy Brooks from there is also great, and those both sound OK, much better than other recordings from there.  I guess those two were meant for release when recorded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good question. Home is awesome; I feel like it could use a remaster (rhythm section seems a little 'distant' on the LP) if possible, but the music is super. And the Roy Brooks is essential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe Henderson (tenor sax), Kenny Drew (piano), Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen (bass), Albert "Tootie" Heath (drums) is a good lineup. I'd like to hear that.

A favorite Henderson track is "Lazy Afternoon" on the "Power To The People" album. Great mood, and Herbie Hancock plays a superb riff on it.

Joe's playing on Miroslav Vitous's "Infinite Search" is excellent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

Joe's playing on Miroslav Vitous's "Infinite Search" is excellent.

Thats some of my favourite Joe.

2 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Joe Henderson plays well on this date.

5121dA5uQmL._AC_UY218_.jpg

I saw his quartet with Rosnes many years ago. Fine all female rhythm section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.