BFT #78 Discussion Thread

Hot Ptah

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - had no idea Harold Land played oboe.

I don't think he played it often. I hear a couple of places where it sounds like he is losing control of the note just a little bit. I knew a college music graduate who played oboe, who told me that it is difficult to hit and hold the notes on oboe compared to other reed intruments, and that a good, experienced player can be spotted by their lack of difficulty.

I threw in Harold Land on oboe, as one of those Blindfold Test curveballs.

You da man, Thom.

Now I feel silly, because I believe I was standing nearby when Hot Ptah purchased that CD a couple of months ago.

Yes, at a garage sale held by the family of a jazz collector who had passed away. Accoring to Thom Keith's link, it is not easy to find this album on CD. I feel fortunate to have spotted it.

Edited by Hot Ptah

All of my tracks have now been identified, at least to some extent, except #10. No one has come close on that one.

Bill, for some reason I missed hearing this track.

is it by any chance Renaud-Garcia Fons playing bass (one of his specially-built instruments) con arco there?

I really dislike what the tenor player is doing re. improv; otherwise, some nice instrumentation and ideas.

(Or could this be one of Henri Texier's groups? Garcia-Fons goes for a more "composed" sound, with the exception of his very early stuff.)

the melody sounds like it could be from the Balkans, the Middle East and/or North Africa. (Though made somewhat more Western European-sounding in certain palaces... maybe an adaptation of someone's work?)

My final guess is Gilad Atzmon on tenor, but that doesn't - for me - give me much to go on re. bass and cello (if that *is* a cello).

Other thoughts: Dave Holland knows a lot about Indian classical music; he and Tunisian oudist Anouar Brahem did a trio record with John Surman (it's called Thimar)... and although I know this cut isn't from that recording, it reminds me of it. Surman really didn't know what to do with Arabic music and that particular ECM session would have fallen apart without Holland's participation.

Whoever is playing sax here reminds me of Surman on that album - out of his/her depth.

* and finally (ha!), there are some killer Turkish cellists out there. I wonder...

Edited by seeline

All of my tracks have now been identified, at least to some extent, except #10. No one has come close on that one.

is it by any chance Renaud-Garcia Fons playing bass (one of his specially-built instruments) con arco there?

I really dislike what the tenor player is doing re. improv; otherwise, some nice instrumentation and ideas.

(Or could this be one of Henri Texier's groups? Garcia-Fons goes for a more "composed" sound, with the exception of his very early stuff.)

the melody sounds like it could be from the Balkans, the Middle East and/or North Africa. (Though made somewhat more Western European-sounding in certain palaces... maybe an adaptation of someone's work?)

My final guess is Gilad Atzmon on tenor, but that doesn't - for me - give me much to go on re. bass and cello (if that *is* a cello).

Other thoughts: Dave Holland knows a lot about Indian classical music; he and Tunisian oudist Anouar Brahem did a trio record with John Surman (it's called Thimar)... and although I know this cut isn't from that recording, it reminds me of it. Surman really didn't know what to do with Arabic music and that particular ECM session would have fallen apart without Holland's participation.

Whoever is playing sax here reminds me of Surman on that album - out of his/her depth.

* and finally (ha!), there are some killer Turkish cellists out there. I wonder...

Those are very interesting ideas, but none are correct.

I kinda figured, but hey - might as well throw out some ideas, right?!

My other guess: this is a cut from a relatively obscure Black Saint/Soul Note session, or maybe something on India Navigation... :)

Or an outtake from that (imo) extremely weird Oliver Lake Xmas album with steel drums! (Not a joke; I should do a BFT someday and use something from it...)

Edited by seeline

I kinda figured, but hey - might as well throw out some ideas, right?!

My other guess: this is a cut from a relatively obscure Black Saint/Soul Note session, or maybe something on India Navigation... :)

Or an outtake from that (imo) extremely weird Oliver Lake Xmas album with steel drums! (Not a joke; I should do a BFT someday and use something from it...)

It is not a Black Saint, Soul Note or India Navigation session.

Don't have anything else to say about the music, but I wanted to say how impressed I am with the depth of knowledge that some of you (especially seeline) show concerning Latin music. This is an area I know very little about.

When I contemplate my ignorance in this area, I can at least console myself by thinking about obscure New Orleans musicians.

Don't have anything else to say about the music, but I wanted to say how impressed I am with the depth of knowledge that some of you (especially seeline) show concerning Latin music. This is an area I know very little about.

When I contemplate my ignorance in this area, I can at least console myself by thinking about obscure New Orleans musicians.

oh gosh - thanks! but we all know about different things; also, I don't know nearly as much about Latin music as it might appear. I picked up a lot of what I know from working with someone who really did know a lot - and he had plenty of sources to go to. ;)

Edited by seeline