parentally sanctioned violence

When I woz a boy scout, bottle drives were a main source of fundraising.

After one such, big boys (dads) and little boys (sons) adjourned to the local tip/landfill.

Thusly was spent a super hour so disposing of unredeemable glass products. Bottles of all shapes and sizes were hurled on to the rocks and rubble below. The many different kinds of light bulbs made especially satisfying explosions!

So cool!

On another occasion, we were demolishing an old wooden house on the lot that was to be our new home in Dunedin, NZ. Halfway through, we tied a long rope around the tall brick chimney. Tug, tug, grunt, tug - and the whole thing came smashing crashing down, more or less cleaning up what remained of the old place.

Marvellous!

After one such, big boys (dads) and little boys (sons) adjourned to the local tip/landfill.

Thusly was spent a super hour so disposing of unredeemable glass products. Bottles of all shapes and sizes were hurled on to the rocks and rubble below. The many different kinds of light bulbs made especially satisfying explosions!

You can still do this in recycling bins in supermarket car parks. THough I've never noticed any boy scout trips to the local Tescos.

Anyway, I believe scouts nowadays are more tied up earning badges for applying hair gel or changing SIM cards (that's my old codger comment for the month).

How quaint.

Today's young'uns have far better opportunities to kick-start their enjoyment of violence...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5854686068870249151#

I enjoyed the comment at the end congratulating the girl and her dad for some good shooting.

Yep, that was some real fine marksmanship there, all right. Dandy.

You can still do this in recycling bins in supermarket car parks. THough I've never noticed any boy scout trips to the local Tescos.

Anyway, I believe scouts nowadays are more tied up earning badges for applying hair gel or changing SIM cards (that's my old codger comment for the month).

I hear that male youths use hair straighteners now.

Back to the orginal point. My son (aged 7) does love to come to the tip with me, primarily to chuck stuff (or watch me chuck stuff, as I chuck further) off the ledge into the pit below. Boys do love to break things.

Edited by rdavenport