Record cleaners

rdavenport

Okay everyone, I have inherited a big collection of old classical LPs, some of which look a little grimy, some of which sound a little like "space dust" (a "popping candy" beloved of UK children of the late 1970s/early 1980s, probably banned for good reason).

Anyway, I would like to clean these, and a Moth isn't financially feasible, so can anybody recommend a budget alternative? I see lots of kits on Ebay - spray applicators and cloths - do these work? More importantly, will they foul the records up?

Thanks in advance.

Hi

As a relatively cheap alternative I find the Disco Antistat to be very good. Often causes some debate - many people have issues that the cleaner does not dry the record - it comes with a rack for air drying - other issues people have is that as the record is drying fluid can drip over the label I have never had any labels damaged in this way, any drips dry very quickly. These appear on the bay quite frequently for between £35 - £50 new (don't pay more). I use my own brew of fluid - 1 part pure Isopropanol alcohol 3 parts distilled water and a tiny drop of washing-up liquid (acts to breakdown the water surface tension) again lot of debate on best fluid. I would say if you have records which are 'grimy' and you want to get them up to playable state then this is a good option.

Lots of good debate on record cleaners on the forums on vinylengine

Hope this helps, have fun

Phil

Edited by RedPhil

Hi

As a relatively cheap alternative I find the Disco Antistat to be very good. Often causes some debate - many people have issues that the cleaner does not dry the record - it comes with a rack for air drying - other issues people have is that as the record is drying fluid can drip over the label I have never had any labels damaged in this way, any drips dry very quickly. These appear on the bay quite frequently for between £35 - £50 new (don't pay more). I use my own brew of fluid - 1 part pure Isopropanol alcohol 3 parts distilled water and a tiny drop of washing-up liquid (acts to breakdown the water surface tension) again lot of debate on best fluid. I would say if you have records which are 'grimy' and you want to get them up to playable state then this is a good option.

Lots of good debate on record cleaners on the forums on vinylengine

Hope this helps, have fun

Phil

Thank you Phil. That's a hell of a lot of discussion!

• 2 years later...

What do you make of the manufacturers' claims to "use only OUR cleaning fluid with this unit," etc.? Is each company's fluid specifically formulated to work with the various materials that are used in the units themselves, or is this simply a ploy to sell their own product by playing into vinyl junkies' paranoia?

I have a Nitty Gritty and I'm having a hard time finding the 16 oz bottle at either B&M stores or online.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

• 1 year later...

I recently ordered additional drying cloths for my Spin Clean. It seems they have greatly cheapened the fabric. The photo on Amazon still shows the old cloths:

51BxvR-6r9L.jpg

However, what arrived in the mail was this (photo taken from Spin Clean's website):

59020193.jpg

An email to Spin Clean has so far gone unanswered. Disappointing. And no word on what the blue ribbon is for.