What format do you usually use?

GA Russell

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was surprised to see on another board I am a member of that the majority of people there listen to music with MP3s rather than CDs, so I thought I would ask here. (They have ripped most of their CD collection to MP3s.)

Does the majority of your listening come via MP3s or CDs?

Edited by GA Russell

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the car, I only listen to LPs. Actually, this is something of a dream of mine, but that's off-topic.

My preferences run LP -> CD -> MP3. But my reality is virtually all MP3. It's a byproduct of not being able to take LPs and CDs on the road. I try to keep my MP3s high-bit rate, but then storage gets to be a problem. Sheesh. Never ends.

I still have hundreds of LP's, but they never get played anymore (even if I wanted to play them, I can't, because I discovered recently that my turntable had died).

Other than long car trips, which are pretty rare for me, I almost never play CD's these days.

I've transferred almost my entire collection to MP3, and other than listening to KCSM in the car, almost all of my listening is done on the ipods or in itunes on the Mac.

At home, my listening is pretty evenly divided between CDs and LPs, with some 78s thrown in. Like (I imagine) others here, my turntable gets as much of a workout as my CD player. I download music when I can't get it any other way, and I love the convenience of my iPod when I'm away from home.

I like my 78s, though - you can't beat the convenience of a bulky, highly breakable medium containing six minutes of music. :rolleyes:

One other option for me, when I can't have LPs or CDs and even an MP3 player is inconvenient, I've found reasonable satisfaction with internet radio, particularly AccuRadio. ...not that the "skip" button doesn't see active use...

As I was typing that, Esperanza came on.

Exclusively .mp3's. So much so that I see these CDs as a burden - where to put them all, how to find one when I want to consult the liner notes, etc. I've digitized a good part of my LP and cassette collection, and continue to do so.

We have Internet radio on the iPod - we play it through a clock radio with an iPod connection in the kitchen. We use that exclusively for country music (there are no country stations in the NYC region).

There was a time in the 90s there was a country format station in NYC but that eventually switched.

As for the question du jour, even if I download an album in MP3 format from Amazon or Walmart, it gets burned to CD. I have no digital storage of music files outside of Dime concerts that still wait to be burned to CD. Vinyl listening is limited to transferring new purchases (rare) or old LPs that I want to digitize.

Funny thing is that my wife bought a car stereo for my birthday that includes a plug for a flash drive, then cleared off one of hers to give to me. I had to tell her that while I could see loading the flash drive for a really long trip (the unit can handle 500 CDs or something like that), on my still-new daily commute, I am enjoying catching up on CDs I haven't listened to or haven't absorbed enough, and that the whole point is listening to the CD from start to finish.

There is no I-Pod and when I fly to CT to visit the parental units at the end of the month, I will proudly pull out my ancient disc man and CD case, no matter what odd looks I get from the ear-bud crowd.