max kaminsky-

big gord

anyone know the personnel of the lp max kaminsky-new orleans dixieland jazz-mk records 1001. on the cover it says kaminsky(tpt)cutshall(tbn)russell(clt)sullivan(pno)morgan(bs)wettling(drs).this cant be right, ihear a sax on some tracks also a banjo, guitar and the clarinet is not pee wee on a lot of numbers. i actually think it is a number of differant bands led by max. duke jerumonk

As it happens I have that one too (bought by an aunt of mine on location during a trip to the USA in 1974 that happened to include a visit to a club where Max played - and, though not a jazz fan, she thoughtfully had it autographed by Max Kaminsky and a few of his band members). Will give it a listen later to see what it's all about.

Bruyninckx' discogaphy isn't of any help as he lists the mjusicians from the back cover as the line-up (and a rec. date of c.1955) for the entire LP.

Would be a bit surpised if copycat Lord listed anything substantially different.

As it happens I have that one too (bought by an aunt of mine on location during a trip to the USA in 1974 that happened to include a visit to a club where Max played - and, though not a jazz fan, she thoughtfully had it autographed by Max Kaminsky and a few of his band members). Will give it a listen later to see what it's all about.

Bruyninckx' discogaphy isn't of any help as he lists the mjusicians from the back cover as the line-up (and a rec. date of c.1955) for the entire LP.

Would be a bit surpised if copycat Lord listed anything substantially different.

I've got the LP. It is quite clearly a Boris Rose production, probably from more than one broadcast. I suspect that Boris may have supplied these to Max to sell at his gigs. Mine is also autographed, dated 1979.

I have some partial information but won't have a chance to listen to the LP for a while to aurally confirm the information below or to get some leads on the other tracks.

"Lonesome Road" (Side 1, #4) is by Max Kaminsky and His Windy City Six: Max Kaminsky (t), Miff Mole (tb), Pee Wee Russell (cl), Joe Sullivan (p), Jack Lesberg (b), George Wettling (d). Recorded in New York City, 1954. Issued also on various Concert Hall, Hall of Fame, and Jazztone LPs.

From the same date are "Never Touched Me" (retitled as "New Orleans Joys" on MK 1001 (Side 2, #4)) and "Stuyvesant Blues" (retitled as "Midnight Blues" on MK 1001 (Side 2, #7)).

Susie (Side 2, #1) is by Bud Freeman & His Summa Cum Laude Orchestra. New York City, March 25, 1940. Max Kaminsky (t), Brad Gowans (v-tb), Pee Wee Russell (cl), Bud Freeman (ts), Dave Bowman (p), Eddie Condon (g), Pete Peterson (b), Morey Feld (d).

That's all I've traced so far. Information is from Bob Hilbert's Pee Wee Russell discography ("Pee Wee Speaks"). Other commitments loom, so that's all for now...

anyone know the personnel of the lp max kaminsky-new orleans dixieland jazz-mk records 1001. on the cover it says kaminsky(tpt)cutshall(tbn)russell(clt)sullivan(pno)morgan(bs)wettling(drs).this cant be right, ihear a sax on some tracks also a banjo, guitar and the clarinet is not pee wee on a lot of numbers. i actually think it is a number of differant bands led by max. duke jerumonk

Mine is also signed and dated (October 1978).

Anyone have an unsigned copy? Those are probably less common.

I've got the LP. It is quite clearly a Boris Rose production, probably from more than one broadcast. I suspect that Boris may have supplied these to Max to sell at his gigs. Mine is also autographed, dated 1979.

I have an unsigned copy. I bought it online new just a few years ago. It's just a grab bag of previous sessions. IIRC The Royal Garden is from a mgm 10' lp, When The Saints Go Marching In. Quite a few tracks are from Kapp MS 7520 The Battle Of the Dixieland bands. This has Doc Cheatham, Red Richards, Vic Dickenson, etc. There's the session with Miff and Pee Wee that was on Jazztone. Susie is from Bud Freeman's Summa Cum Luade Bix album. Apologies for being vague - I haven't a chance to listen all the way through now, but I think that covers much of it.

Edit to add: By the time I posted I saw Jazztrain's post. I think what he says plus the Kapp lp and the MGM lp pretty much cover things.

Edited by Harold_Z

I have an unsigned copy. I bought it online new just a few years ago. It's just a grab bag of previous sessions. IIRC The Royal Garden is from a mgm 10' lp, When The Saints Go Marching In. Quite a few tracks are from Kapp MS 7520 The Battle Of the Dixieland bands. This has Doc Cheatham, Red Richards, Vic Dickenson, etc. There's the session with Miff and Pee Wee that was on Jazztone. Susie is from Bud Freeman's Summa Cum Luade Bix album. Apologies for being vague - I haven't a chance to listen all the way through now, but I think that covers much of it.

Edit to add: By the time I posted I saw Jazztrain's post. I think what he says plus the Kapp lp and the MGM lp pretty much cover things.

So would the lineup indicated on the back cover be correct for ANY of the tracks at all?

So would the lineup indicated on the back cover be correct for ANY of the tracks at all?

I think not. i.e. For one example - iirc there are NO tracks on this lp where Pee Wee and Cutty appear together. It would have been better listed not as a lineup but rather "Musicians include....".

• 5 years later...

I'm jumping in over five years late to this topic, but if any of you are still out there, I've done some research on the Max Kaminsky "New Orleans Dixieland Jazz" MK-1001 LP.  With your help, I've identified 12 of the 14 tracks, but two are still a mystery to me.  There is no record in the Lord discography that Kaminsky ever participated in a recording of "South."  And, although he made several recordings of "Fidgety Feet," some with Eddie Condon and Bud Freemen, I have not found a match.  Can any of you help?

The other twelve are: "Susie" Bud Freemen 3/25/40; "Muskrat Ramble" Bud Freeman 7/23/40; "Basin Street Blues" Jam Session at Commodore #5 (Eddie Condon) 12/2/43; from MGM LP #E261 (When the Saints...) 1953: "Royal Garden Blues," and "Saints"; from Jazztone LP #J-1208 (Chicago Style) 1954: "Lonesome Road," "Jazz Band Ball," "Never Touched Me" (as "New Orleans Joys"), and "Stuyvesant Blues" (as "Midnight Blues"); and from Kapp LP #MS-7520 (Battle of the Dixieland Bands) 1961: "St. Louis Blues," "Tin Roof Blues," and "High Society."

Thanks!  John D.

Lord lists the following but, in light of the previous posts, the information is clearly wrong:

Max Kaminsky & South
[K244-16] Max Kaminsky
New Orleans Dixieland Jazz: 
Max Kaminsky (cnt) Cutty Cutshall (tb) Pee Wee Russell (cl) Joe Sullivan (p) Jeff Morgan (b) George Wettling (d) 
New York ? c. 1955
    Royal garden blues    MK 1001
    South      -
    Fidgety feet      -
    Lonesome road      -
    Jazz band ball      -
    St. Louis blues      -
    Tin roof blues      -
    Susie      -
    High society      -
    Muskrat ramble      -
    New Orleans joys      -
    Basin Street blues      -
    When the saints go marching in      -
    Midnight blues      -

Jazztrain, you were one of the posters on this topic on 9/8/10 that provided info that helped me a lot!  You said then that you hadn't had a chance to listen to the LP for a while.  Any more info on "South" and "Fidgety Feet"?

Not really.  I listened to South and Fidgety Feet last night following your post.  There's a banjo on Fidgety Feet.

It's clearly not Pee Wee on clarinet on those two.  Perhaps Bob Wilber or Peanuts Hucko?  Doesn't sound like Joe Sullivan either.  

Did you notice that the "personnel" listed on the front and back of the LP cover are different?  One side lists Jack Teagarden and Miff Mole in addition to Cutty Cutshall.

I did a little more searching on line to no avail.  Lord is no help on this one.

I'll let you know if I come across anything else.