The Onion's Least Essential Albums of 2003

Big Al

i was glad they pilloried that lou reed piece of crap. what a load that dude is. he's one of the worst cases of a guy being taken way too seriously for a VERY slim body of inspired work...

I agree completely.

Really -- I saw him promo-ing that thing on Letterman or SNL and had to change the channel.

Well, The Velvet Underground were primarily Lou's baby. Their four studio albums are, in my opinion anyway, among the truly essential recordings of the rock era. As for his solo stuff, well true it is pretty hit and miss. At its best though, on albums such as Transformer, Berlin, the Blue Mask and New York it is only a small step down from the brilliance of the Velvet's. Obvioulsly I am a fan, but I really think he is one of the most important figures in the history of rock music.

Clementine, much as I like John Cale, and agree he has written some really good songs, nothing he has written compares with Lou's Velvet's output. Remember that almost all of the classics, from 'Waiting for the Man' to 'Sweet Jane' were written by Lou Reed. There are at least half a dozen that are among the greatest rock songs ever.