Photo

Lester Young/Basie Set Selling Well

141 replies to this topic

#91 JSngry

JSngry

While logic makes its demands, emotion lends its voice

• 48,384 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Speaking of airshots, Basie, & Pres, what about those three Basie airshots that Columbia put out on Super Chief (one from 1937, the other two from 1938)? Billie was said to be with the band on the 1937 date, but the only one they included did not have her singing. Has that stuff come out anywhere since?

#92 Pete C

Pete C

Funkateer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

Speaking of airshots, Basie, & Pres, what about those three Basie airshots that Columbia put out on Super Chief (one from 1937, the other two from 1938)? Billie was said to be with the band on the 1937 date, but the only one they included did not have her singing. Has that stuff come out anywhere since?

I've seen They Can't Take That Away From Me and Swing Brother Swing (from the Savoy, 1937) on a number of releases. These and I Can't Get Started from another gig later that year are on the Lady Day complete Columbia box.

http://www.billiehol..._songs.htm#1937

#93 JSngry

JSngry

• 48,384 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

Super Chief had "Shout & Feel It" from 6-30-37, where (allegedly, per John Hammond) Billie "can be heard shouting encouragement". It's fine, to put it mildly...

#94 paul secor

paul secor

Groovissimo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,045 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

Didn't mean to be snippy! :) The biggest worry I have with the public domain labels and what they release is that they often release material the majors haven't. . . and the sound isn't great. But the majors may think (and probably with good reason) why should we now make any effort to put this out, most of those who want it have either bought these releases or ripped it from a blog. And so those who may have the best possible sources and may have the best engineers and facilities continue to not release the material. And we don't get the stuff as we could, and maybe should.

Which may all be nonsense, just something I imagine that is a way they look at it. I may be giving them way too much "credit," or they may have a totally different view and reason for not releasing this material.

If I worked at Sony or Universal I'd pitch a sort of "bootleg series" such as has started with the Miles Davis estate, but with classic jazz. Seek out what I could find of these sort of airchecks of the swing, "New Orleans Revival," bebop, etc. material, secure the rights, remaster them as well as possible, put them out in nice packages with some nice notes. And then be laughed out of my job, most likely. . . .

Didn't take your reply as snippy. I just didn't read your post thoroughly.

#95 mikeweil

mikeweil

totally tjaderized

• Members
  • 15,489 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

I got my Basie 1941-51 10LP box today... so I've got all the Columbia (Vocalion/OKeh) Basie I need.

I once had both Basie Columbia boxes, but found I rarely listened to them - too many alternates in some cases, and my favourite Basie track of all, Fiesta in Blue, was defective ...

What does that Columbia box look like? I can't seem to find it, only two Definitive boxes that go for ridiculous prices:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Is it this 4 CD box?

Posted Image

Edited by mikeweil, 02 March 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#96 mikeweil

mikeweil

totally tjaderized

• Members
  • 15,489 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

But that box doesn't include Fiesta In Blue, that's a major reason I skipped it ... OTOH there's a like new copy on amazon for 25 incl. shipping ...

#97 jazzbo

jazzbo

Just a Lucky So and So

• Members
  • 30,271 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:40 PM

Didn't mean to be snippy! :) The biggest worry I have with the public domain labels and what they release is that they often release material the majors haven't. . . and the sound isn't great. But the majors may think (and probably with good reason) why should we now make any effort to put this out, most of those who want it have either bought these releases or ripped it from a blog. And so those who may have the best possible sources and may have the best engineers and facilities continue to not release the material. And we don't get the stuff as we could, and maybe should.

Which may all be nonsense, just something I imagine that is a way they look at it. I may be giving them way too much "credit," or they may have a totally different view and reason for not releasing this material.

If I worked at Sony or Universal I'd pitch a sort of "bootleg series" such as has started with the Miles Davis estate, but with classic jazz. Seek out what I could find of these sort of airchecks of the swing, "New Orleans Revival," bebop, etc. material, secure the rights, remaster them as well as possible, put them out in nice packages with some nice notes. And then be laughed out of my job, most likely. . . .

Didn't take your reply as snippy. I just didn't read your post thoroughly.

Thanks Paul.

#98 John L

John L

Funkateer

• Members
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:17 AM

Masters of Jazz covered virtually everything live through early 1939. The live tracks alone make up about 4 full CDs of amazing music. Too bad the series got cut short. A couple CDs of the Lincoln Hotel recordings from 1944 would have been a musical Godsend.

#99 king ubu

king ubu

just sayin'

• Members
  • 25,506 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:01 AM

Mike, I did get the orange and blue LP boxes... other than that, yes there's the "America's Band #1" box, which has all the octet studio material, some other small group (most of that in fact) and some selected big band sides (not enough of them, not nearly so!)... but the main point is the glorious live material on disc 4. Most or all of it had been out on Masters of Jazz before, but not in as great sound. Pres is amazing there! Some of the best I've heard!

#100 John L

John L

Funkateer

• Members
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:59 AM

Masters of Jazz covered virtually everything live through early 1939. The live tracks alone make up about 4 full CDs of amazing music. Too bad the series got cut short. A couple CDs of the Lincoln Hotel recordings from 1944 would have been a musical Godsend.

I should also add that the Basie airshots with Billie Holiday are included on the Complete Lady Day box.

#101 JSngry

JSngry

• 48,384 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

Can you still find those Masters of Jazz discs anywhere?

I've within the last two weeks picked up two LPs of (mostly) 1944 Lincoln Hotel. Can't find that stuff just anywhere these days either.

#102 king ubu

king ubu

just sayin'

• Members
  • 25,506 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

MoJ discs are difficult to find nowadays and may cost a lot.
They went under around in the early noughties, not sure when exactly, 2001/2, I think..

#103 kh1958

kh1958

Dr. Funkenstein

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,801 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

I've within the last two weeks picked up two LPs of (mostly) 1944 Lincoln Hotel. Can't find that stuff just anywhere these days either.

A few of them are available from amazon sellers at elevated prices.

#104 king ubu

king ubu

just sayin'

• Members
  • 25,506 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

Look through the Basie and Pres corners if you want to know which volumes contain lots of live material... I've got Vols. 4, 5, 6, 8 and 11... guess those fit the bill. The Famous Door material from July 15, 1939 is on the second half of Vol. 11 - I think that was how far they got with Basie, but I'm not sure there (it came out in 1999).

There's one overpriced offer here:
http://www.amazon.fr.../dp/B00000K2L7/

#105 kh1958

kh1958

Dr. Funkenstein

• Members
  • 5,801 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

I have six of the volumes on Masters of Jazz.

Volume 1 (1937-39)--I don't think any of this volume is rare.

Volume 3 (1943): There's just one track of Lester with Basie, an AFRS G.I. Jive Transcription.

Volume 4 (1944): No live material.

Volume 5 (1944): No live material.

Volume 6 (1944): This volume has some broadcasts, Basie from the Lincoln Hotel (one track), the Jammin' the Blues soundtrack, broadcast with Hot Lips Page and Charlie Barnett (1940)j, and Lee and Lester Young broadcast (1942).

Volume 7 (1945-46): Only live material is a JATP recording.

#106 king ubu

king ubu

just sayin'

• Members
  • 25,506 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

Those are the Pres volumes (and more about them can be foudn in the Pres corner).

The ones I was talking about are the Basie volumes (eleven of them up to mid 1939). A quick search didn't turn up much on them, though I do rememeber they have been discussed somewhere here, several years ago.

#107 mikeweil

mikeweil

totally tjaderized

• Members
  • 15,489 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

Mike, I did get the orange and blue LP boxes... other than that, yes there's the "America's Band #1" box, which has all the octet studio material, some other small group (most of that in fact) and some selected big band sides (not enough of them, not nearly so!)... but the main point is the glorious live material on disc 4. Most or all of it had been out on Masters of Jazz before, but not in as great sound. Pres is amazing there! Some of the best I've heard!

Yes, not nearly enough of the big band classic sides ... thanks for your comment, I ordered that cheap copy. Since I'm not a Basie completist and have a lot of Pres, that should do it for me - besides the fact that I need a good sounding CD with Fiesta In Blue!

#108 medjuck

medjuck

Funkateer

• Members
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Just checked the discography in the Lewis Porter Prez book. He lists a shit load of airchecks! I've only been able to find a couple of them. He also lists some Benny Goodman sides for RCA. Does Prez solo on them?

BTW Fiesta in Blue can be downloaded from iTunes. They have it from several sources.

#109 Stompy Jones

Stompy Jones

Veteran Groover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

Just checked the discography in the Lewis Porter Prez book. He lists a shit load of airchecks! I've only been able to find a couple of them. He also lists some Benny Goodman sides for RCA. Does Prez solo on them?

Only on Ti-pi-tin. It's on Masters Of Jazz MJCD 46 Lester Young volume 1 1937-1939. The complementary works.
All master takes from that session are on Classics 899 Benny Goodman 1937-1938
The two alt takes from that session are on Neatwork RP 2049 Benny Goodman volume 2 1937-1938

#110 brownie

brownie

Groovissimo!

• Members
  • 26,783 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:58 AM

Not on their homeground anymore.
Plenty of the Masters of Jazz CDs turned up at discount stores here when the label went down but this is now a thing of the past!

#111 JSngry

JSngry

• 48,384 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:02 AM

That's a bummer too...they never really were around in the stores here, and by the time I really figured out what they really were (I though they were that sorryass label that released whole albums under different names, but that was Giants of Jazz), they were gone.

Oh well...time to start looking at leisure and carpe-dieming when possible.

And next time, pay attention! :g

#112 David Ayers

David Ayers

Dr. Funkenstein

• Members
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

And next time, pay attention! :g

There's bound to be a next time.... right....? :unsure:

#113 JSngry

JSngry

• 48,384 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:48 AM

#114 colinmce

colinmce

Funkateer

• Members
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

I was lucky enough to snag a sealed box of the first 5 volumes of the Armstrong MOJ series for $12 on ebay.

#115 Ted O'Reilly

Ted O'Reilly

Groove Merchant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

....I've never really understood how the famous Sony Original Masters Ellngton was put out in new and fine masters in 2008 only to disappear after a year or so. That showed what could be done, and at the lowest price imaginable. But why just that one, and why so short-lived...?

That is one fine release, and it was at a very fine price. Why indeed did it disappear so quickly? I'm told it's going at ridiculous prices on ebay.

That release showed the majors could beat the bootleggers at their own game...but as it seems to be a one-off, they choose NOT to do it.

#116 J.A.W.

J.A.W.

Music addict

• Members
  • 11,219 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

....I've never really understood how the famous Sony Original Masters Ellngton was put out in new and fine masters in 2008 only to disappear after a year or so. That showed what could be done, and at the lowest price imaginable. But why just that one, and why so short-lived...?

That is one fine release, and it was at a very fine price. Why indeed did it disappear so quickly? I'm told it's going at ridiculous prices on ebay.

That release showed the majors could beat the bootleggers at their own game...but as it seems to be a one-off, they choose NOT to do it.

That was a European release. Sony have their own release policy in the various European countries.

#117 Chuck Nessa

Chuck Nessa

Groovissimo!

• Members
  • 22,038 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

My guess is these packages were initiated by a Euro executive trying to battle the PD folks by going the PD route from his office. This put the parent company in a bad place and the issues were discontinued.

#118 Peter Johnson

Peter Johnson

Master of the Groove!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

If I worked at Sony or Universal

The world would truly, finally be a kind and benevolent place! You got my vote, Lon! :)

#119 jazzbo

jazzbo

Just a Lucky So and So

• Members
  • 30,271 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

Ha! Well, if I could do it from Austin, I'd accept if they call. :) Not sure i could handle that though. Even though I have experience dealing with the messed up state government of this century, I don't want to work in that sort of a situation again if I can help it. Almost got a job at my local Harley dealer, but a the last minute they decided not to add more staff now. They're telling me to sit tight and wait, and I will but I think I'll also target book stores next. Gotta do something to get the laptop off my lap and some money in the bank for my high property taxes. ;)

Edited by jazzbo, 07 March 2012 - 07:36 AM.

#120 J.A.W.

J.A.W.

Music addict

• Members
  • 11,219 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

The Young/Basie set is now on the "Last Chance"-list.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users