Mark Turner

save0904

Ha! Different strokes, I guess - I thought Lathe of Heaven was great, as was the live performance of this band that I saw shortly after the album's release.

I liked Lathe of Heaven a lot also, but I did have issues with the ECM production values. To my hearing, the music was not allowed to "breathe." I am one of those who have that issue with many, but not all, ECM recordings.

I have heard Mark Turner live on numerous occasions and have always found him to be an interesting and entertaining player.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For fans of Turner, there is a very good profile in the current issue of Music & Literature.

Music & Literature No. 8

"Finally, in a first for Music & Literature—one proving that the M&L aesthetic is as at home in jazz as in classical music—we are excited to offer a portfolio exploring the career of American saxophonist Mark Turner, one of the most influential musicians of his generation. Here, an extensive conversation with Ben Ratliff is complemented by a series of reflections on Turner’s life, work, and utterly unique sound by longtime collaborators, students, and friends. Transcriptions and facsimiles of his musical notebooks offer further insight into an artist of exceptional depth and creative vision."

I found the Turner interview and the essay by his wife especially revealing as to his motivations in his approach to the saxophone.

On 9/20/2017 at 8:05 AM, Guy Berger said:

Hey folks - earlier this year I heard that ECM would be releasing an album of Mark Turner/Ethan Iverson duets this fall.  Anyone know any further details on whether this is still happening?

There's a tour in the Spring with Turner / Iverson / Ben Street & Billy Hart.