Clarke Boland Big Band reissues

RogerF

I can't see any discussion about this anywhere other than where I've posted it but I thought it was quite good to learn from the Dusty Groove website that CBBBs long OOP "At Her Majesty's Pleasure" (titled by Francey Boland after Griff spend a while in Pentonville for unpaid back tax) is now reissued on the Italian Rearward label (Google: Ishtar Rearward). Also reissued are the Live at Ronnie's CBBB titles. As a CBBB fan I was rather delighted at this news. Great album.

There's also Benny Bailey's Mirrors with a Clarke-Boland-related line-up:

Benny Bailey: Trumpet & Flugelhorn

Tony Coe: Tenor saxophone & Clarinet

Sahib Shihab: Bariton saxophone & Flute

Francy Boland: Piano

Jean Warland: Bass

Tony Inzalaco: Drums

..plus 12 strings section

And also coming up: The Golden Eight - Encore (feat. Karl Drewo and Dusko, among others):

All the tracks, taken from the second of the May 1961 Golden Eight recording sessions, are now released for the first time, with liner notes by Mike Hennessey

read on...

Naw...it's best heard, and heard in that particular English accent. :cool:

I'm intrigued. I don't remember any voices on that one - other than Ronnie S. doing his usual intro comedy spiel. I'll have to dig out the 2LP set (MPS/BASF) - it's been a while since I listened to it.

Edited by sidewinder

All or almost all of the Clarke/Boland Big Band material now being reissued has already been out on CDs.

For example, I have the 2 Live at Ronnie Scott - "Volcano" and "Rue Chaptal" sessions and also "At Her Majesty's Pleasure" and "Off Limits" on a 2 CD set titled BLOWING THE COBWEBS OUT on the Emanon label. This was released in 1994.

IIRC the price on the Emanon cd's was obscene. I think Cadence had them for $90, for a two cd set. Matter of fact, they still have Blowin Out the Cobwebs, and its still $90.

Originally, maybe more than that, Tom.

I have them both -- the first was in a metal longbox, the second's longbox is chintzy cardboard! They were numbered, indicating a limited issue, though I have no idea how many were to be made. My "Historically Speaking" is #0036, and "Blowing The Cobwebs Out" is #0177, so I'd guess a minimum of 1000, a maximum of 9999. (Some Limited!)

My "Blowing..." has a pre-Euro price sticker from LUDWIG BECK am Rathauseck (Munich, I think) indicating DM140.00, but I don't know what the conversion rate was then.

Sorry, I was mistaken about the number of copies made - the labels on the boxes say how many there were: 1000 of the first and 1500 of the second .... but I vividly remember I was anxious to get a copy, the first box was sold out in no time!

How much was a Dollar 30 years ago? somewhere between three and four Deutschmarks for a Dollar ...

Edited by mikeweil

Sorry, I was mistaken about the number of copies made - the labels on the boxes say how many there were: 1000 of the first and 1500 of the second .... but I vividly remember I was anxious to get a copy, the first box was sold out in no time!

How much was a Dollar 30 years ago? somewhere between three and four Deutschmarks for a Dollar ...

Right...printied in black on navy blue (!), I see it now: "DOUBLE CD SET, LIMITED EDITION FROM 0001 TO 1000"...and mine is #0036.

IIRC the price on the Emanon cd's was obscene. I think Cadence had them for $90, for a two cd set. Matter of fact, they still have Blowin Out the Cobwebs, and its still $90.

Originally, maybe more than that, Tom.

I have them both -- the first was in a metal longbox, the second's longbox is chintzy cardboard! They were numbered, indicating a limited issue, though I have no idea how many were to be made. My "Historically Speaking" is #0036, and "Blowing The Cobwebs Out" is #0177, so I'd guess a minimum of 1000, a maximum of 9999. (Some Limited!)

My "Blowing..." has a pre-Euro price sticker from LUDWIG BECK am Rathauseck (Munich, I think) indicating DM140.00, but I don't know what the conversion rate was then.

Bought a used copy of "Blowing The Cobwebs Out" for 1,000 yen in Tokyo a few weeks ago. That is less that $12 which seems quite reasonable! Have "Historically Speaking" too and while both sets are great, I definitely prefer the first one.