Who has an opinion???

sheldonm

Happy holidays to all!! I'm looking for a few thoughts on the following Mosaics sets. I've never been a huge fan of Big Band but I'm thinking of getting the following sets as it's starting to grow on me (not literally) :rolleyes: .

*Kenton Presents

*Duke Ellington reprise Studio Recordings.

How about the Gerald Wilson?

Thanks,

Mark

I would rate them, on a practical level:

1. Ellington Reprise: This is OOP, so get a copy while you can. It's a very enjoyable set, and even if you don't like it now, it will grow on you.

2. Gerald Wilson: This is a great set that shows what a great Big Band arranger Wilson truly is. The musicians on the set are outstanding, great solos abound, and Wilson's writting is a wonder to behold. Get this, and you'll never be sorry.

3. Cooper /Holman/Rosolino: I seem to be in the miniorty in enjoying this set immensely -- then again, I'm a sucker for the "West Coast Jazz Vibe" feel this box has. Cooper /Holman/Rosolino all are enjoyable here, with Holman being the tops in my book. Though, Rosolino is very enjoyable, if you don't mind his singing, which I don't.

So, final word, anyone you get you will enjoy.

Edit for spelling and sense making :wacko:

Edited by Matthew

Get the Gerald Wilson. The writing is excellent, and the playing is great all around. There are a lot of excellent solos by names we all know, too. I'm not a huge fan of big band either, and this was my first big band Mosaic. I've never been disappointed.

The Ellington Reprise has been a very nice surprise. I picked it up just before it went OOP. I'd never heard any of Duke's work other than the album he did with Coltrane, so this was a bit of a gamble. I've found everything great so far, even the Mary Poppins album. I'd pick it up before the prices go crazy on eBay.

I have all three. Just on the music, my preferences;

1. Kento Presents-by a mile over the other two. But then I groove on the West Coast thing.

2. Gerald Wilson-in my view, a genius is Gerald as an arranger and leader...but too many renditions of pop 60s songs makes me carefully choose which discs of the set I listen to. Yes, I'm a confirmed hater of California Dreamin'.

3. Ellington Reprise-one very good album in there with some OK (by the Duke's lofty standards) other work.

Can't really miss with any of them, though.

I have the Kenton Presents and the Ellington Reprise, and I do know that some day I will also have the Wilson...

I fully agree with what Matthew said about the Kenton Presents set :tup

The Holman stuff is terrific! The Cooper, I did not like it that much, though.

The Ellington Reprise seems to be available in that strange german edition (or is this just a Warner/Reprise edition?) - I saw it in a store yesterday, though not for a nice prize at all.

Maybe someone can help with that - I seem to remember there was some link pointing to this one in another thread (probably the Ellington Reprise is OOP one)

ubu

I add my recommendation to buy the Gerald Wilson set; parts of the Kenton Presents set are very good, but the Cooper section is a bit weak.

The Elllington Reprise I would recomend as a second purchase after Gerald Wilson. I have the German edition (with with original Mosaic liner notes translated into German), but later I have discovered that there is a English version (Rhino); available in Sweden and also in the UK. Very worthwhile to hear Ellington in (for him) unusual contexts.

Edited by andersf

I don't have the Ellington Reprise, so I can't comment on that one. Of the Wilson and Kenton sets, I'd have go with the Wilson. Not that it's without flaws. As I've said in other places at other times, this one would have been a terrific 4 CD set. Clandy44 got it right when he said you've got to exercise caution if you're to avoid the godawful renditions of pop songs like "Sunshine of Your Love" or "Light My Fire." What does knock me out about the jazz sides are the choices Wilson makes, like putting Richard "Groove" Holmes' B-3 out in front of the big band on a handful of cuts on the first disc. IMO, that's inspired musical decision making.

The Kenton just disappointed me. I'm no East Coast snob when it comes to jazz. As a matter of fact some of my favorite jazz artists are West Coast guys. I do enjoy the Rosolino cuts on this one, but there are just too many performances that sound to me like they're mailed in. Maybe I'll put this one back in rotation and see if I change my mind. Lord knows, the guys that play on this one are top notch.

Up over and out.

Thanks for all of your tips/opinions! I opted for the Duke Ellington as I found it used/mint for $75.00 in Chicago this weekend. I played disc one and loved it. I can't wait to pick up some of the others, but after taking out a second mortgage ;) on my house to pick us several OOP Mosaics (at very good prices) this past week, I'm on hold for a while.

Mark