Sirius Radio

jazzkrow

I rented a car last weekend that had Sirius radio.

I found a station-I think it was called Real Jazz-but it might have had another name.

I think it was station #72?

Anyway, I was very impressed with the playlist and sound quality.

How many non-smooth jazz stations are on Sirius?

Worth purchasing the service? I would have to have the portable radio with docking station as I do not intend to replace my car stereo.

I did notice the station cutting out whenever I went under an overpass or entered a

tunnel.

How is the reception at home?

Opinions appreciated.

The monthly fees I have seen quoted seem quite cheap at under $10 a month.

I rented a car last weekend that had Sirius radio.

I found a station-I think it was called Real Jazz-but it might have had another name.

I think it was station #72?

Anyway, I was very impressed with the playlist and sound quality.

How many non-smooth jazz stations are on Sirius?

Worth purchasing the service? I would have to have the portable radio with docking station as I do not intend to replace my car stereo.

I did notice the station cutting out whenever I went under an overpass or entered a

tunnel.

How is the reception at home?

Opinions appreciated.

The monthly fees I have seen quoted seem quite cheap at under $10 a month.

Real Jazz in the only station on Sirius/XM that plays "straight ahead" jazz. There is Water Colors, which is the smooth jazz station, and Spa, playing "Windham Hill" type of stuff. The other station that I listen to for jazz is 40s on 4, that station play big band music from the thirties and forties, and is very good.

I love having Satellite Radio, as I drive a lot, and I'm able to listen clearly to any station wherever I am (I love to listen to baseball games when I drive). I also have it set up where I can play it through my stereo system at home. I've enjoyed that so much, I canceled my Direct TV subscription.

jazzkrow, I have been a happy subscriber for 4.5 years. I get Sirius in my car.

In addition to the music, I listen to the cable tv news channels, and feel no need to subscribe to cable television.

Two years ago I drove to Kansas and back, and appreciated being able to listen to music or whatever without the channels ever fading out and needing to find another.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm biased about this because for many years I've done volunteer jazz programming for broadcast radio stations. Satellite radio may be good, but it's sucking up the audience for broadcast and Internet radio, especially the audience for non-mass-market music genres like jazz. It's part of a long-term trend that's causing radio stations to drop their specialized music programming and switch to talk formats. Sirius may program good stuff, but for me there's nothing like having a real live DJ whose selections are based on his or her personal taste.

I agree with David Utevsky's post. There is nothing like a live DJ playing jazz. Radio station WUCF-FM 89.9 (Orlando) has live disc jockeys playing jazz from 6am to 6pm every day. They even take requests. WUCF-FM streams on the internet and is available everywhere. You can't beat this station!

I have XM (same thing) and get the channel on Channel 70. I listen to it a lot. The only drawback is that they seem to repeat things a lot. I notice this a lot with their Classic Vinyl rock station. One of the programs that I like is the "organ hour" on Fridays at 7 pm est.

I understand the comments about smaller stations and DJs but when you're on long drives where local reception fades in and out, XM Sirius is a real plus. I can also access it from work via the web, another plus.

• 4 years later...

My wife just got off the phone with these idiots and they wanted to charge her over $200/year for renewing her subscription. She opted out. They said they would then charge her a $10 disconnection fee. After going back and forth with them she hung up. I got a number from there website and she managed to cancel the service without a hassle. We both love the service and the ability to listen to the cable news channels. Somehow I don't remember paying even close to that amount for renewing our service last year. Anyone else encounter these problems and ending up canceling there subscription?

My wife just got off the phone with these idiots and they wanted to charge her over $200/year for renewing her subscription. She opted out. They said they would then charge her a $10 disconnection fee. After going back and forth with them she hung up. I got a number from there website and she managed to cancel the service without a hassle. We both love the service and the ability to listen to the cable news channels. Somehow I don't remember paying even close to that amount for renewing our service last year. Anyone else encounter these problems and ending up canceling there subscription?

We've renewed a couple times with them. You have to threaten to cancel, and then they typically connect you to someone else who offers better deals.

We pay about $8 per month per car.

Is there any reason to get satellite other than for use in the car? I know that most of those specific shows aren't available, but there's no shortage of free internet-based radio. I don't drive enough to make it worth installing in my car.