CTI reissues: box-set, 1971 concert, single titles

ghost of miles

Another good example of this is the release of the Compost albums. I mean, why bother?

Because they're fun albums?

Wounded Bird by it's very nature is going to get the lesser known albums to release, since their focus is to release albums that the original labels have no intention of bothering with. That by itself doesn't mean the material is mediocre, just that the projected sales aren't high enough for a major to reissue.

Fun albums? I don't think so. There is much more worthy Bob Moses out there.

As far as your other comment goes, I already knew that. However, with a low ratio of exceptions, it DOES mean that the material is mediocre!

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are two tracks from "A Wilder Alias" by Jackie and Roy. This album is one of the reissues. I have a feeling that folks gloss over this one because they think it will be a typical Jackie and Roy album. Anything but. Also, that's Roy playing the Wurlitzer electric piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1jgTPzCMq0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GINLBMghPfc

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Here are two tracks from "A Wilder Alias" by Jackie and Roy. This album is one of the reissues. I have a feeling that folks gloss over this one because they think it will be a typical Jackie and Roy album. Anything but. Also, that's Roy playing the Wurlitzer electric piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1jgTPzCMq0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GINLBMghPfc

OK, that is some cool-sounding stuff! $4.94 new from an amazon seller ... hard to go wrong

A fantastic album indeed, with some KILLER Joe Farrell on it!

Just bumping this up to see if anyone has heard any recent news about this reissue program. I've been enjoying picking these up, but fear with no news in many months, things are dead in the water. Can someone prove me wrong?

Funny thing is the website is still up & running, but their e-mail address has changed. It used to be info@ctimasterworks.com, now it's d2cfeedback@sonymusic.com. Based on that, I'd say this series has, sadly, run its course. 'twas fun while it lasted, that's f'damn sure!

• 5 weeks later...

Did you get a response?

I sent an email today asking if more are on the way. If there is an answer, I will let people know

Id like to know myself.

Zero reply, it's like CTI fell of the face of the earth. I think it's back to Japanese imports to get a lot of the CTI / KUDU catalog.

Did you get a response?

I sent an email today asking if more are on the way. If there is an answer, I will let people know

Id like to know myself.

Zero reply, it's like CTI fell of the face of the earth. I think it's back to Japanese imports to get a lot of the CTI / KUDU catalog.

Was In A Temple Garden by Yusef Lateef ever released on CD?

Did you get a response?

Id like to know myself.

Was In A Temple Garden by Yusef Lateef ever released on CD?

According to Doug Payne's website (which is the last word for me in all matters CTI), it was reissued twice in Japan on lp, but never on cd.

Information here

Edited by Matthew

Yeah Doug's discography is a good resource but its not perfect. He lists kicj-9013 as George Benson's Body Talk but its actually Bad Benson.

And I have a CD issue of Nat Adderley's You Baby that he doesn't have listed at all. So theres still a chance some obscure CD issue still exist.

But still a new reissue would be nice. I currently have a rip I found on the internet. I can't tell if its from an LP, it sounds really clean.

Edited by Leroy Bad

The live versions of Red Clay and Sugar were recorded July 19, 1971 (a day after the Hollywood Palladium recording) at the Southgate Palace in LA. Interestingly enough, Creed was unaware of these new reissues and I'm sure he'd disapprove of the "California Concert" reissue with all the bonus tracks because he feels all the bonus tracks added to the CD reissues were left off the albums for a reason.

were these "Southgate Palace" live versions released on earlier CTI CD's or are they making their first appearance on the most recent US reissues?

The live versions of Red Clay and Sugar were recorded July 19, 1971 (a day after the Hollywood Palladium recording) at the Southgate Palace in LA. Interestingly enough, Creed was unaware of these new reissues and I'm sure he'd disapprove of the "California Concert" reissue with all the bonus tracks because he feels all the bonus tracks added to the CD reissues were left off the albums for a reason.

were these "Southgate Palace" live versions released on earlier CTI CD's or are they making their first appearance on the most recent US reissues?

Earlier (2002) CD reissues.

Yeah Doug's discography is a good resource but its not perfect. He lists kicj-9013 as George Benson's Body Talk but its actually Bad Benson.

And I have a CD issue of Nat Adderley's You Baby that he doesn't have listed at all.

Have you let Doug know all this? I imagine he'd welcome additions and corrections to his site.