CTI reissues: box-set, 1971 concert, single titles

ghost of miles

Well, I bought two of these today: "Red Clay" and "She Was Too Good to Me". Listening to the Hubbard now, it definitely sounds more like what I remember the original LP sounding like when I heard it: the mastering is warm, theres a bit more of Lenny White's bass drum, and it is not super compressed, the added warm reverb of the remix doesn't show up here. I sold the '02 CD and got this. Though I think I will keep the '02 CD of "Sugar" which sounds very good, definitely from a different tape than the 80's CD.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wanting to hear Ron Carter's ALL BLUES for quite awhile, after getting a strong rec for it from a friend a few years ago.

Definitely the most interesting looking one of this batch! :tup Would be nice if they did some others that haven't been out on CD in the US...it looks like most of the rest of them have.

I will be checking "All Blues" out too because it seems Ron's leader albums are hit or miss, though the soundclips I've heard of "Dear Miles" sound good, I only have "Where?" myself.

Dear Miles is a good one. I've also got Etudes and Third Plane (with Herbie & Tony) and those are pretty amazing. Used to have Uptown Conversation and Spanish Blue on LP, but no longer. I remember them both being good though. There are definitely some sketchy ones from the 70s that are a little too disco-ish (avoid "Anything Goes" like the plague!) ... Sorry to get off-topic... :)

Used to have Uptown Conversation and Spanish Blue on LP, but no longer. I remember them both being good though.

Those two and 'Where' have been the Carter "keepers" for me through the years. On many of his other leader recordings, I've found him to be much too enamored of his own bass playing as opposed to the total impact of the music.

Got "Morning Star" yesterday and I really dig how warm and deep it sounds. I'm gonna pick up the rest as well. Seems like SUGAR is a good deal just to have "Gibraltar" on there. Hopefully this reissue campaign continues past January.

These might be some of the warmest remasters I ever heard.

where'd the version of "Gibralter" come from? Don't recall ever hearing this one (although it seems like I've heard another half dozen or so)?

I wondered that myself. I just figured it was a different version than the one that's on SALT SONG. I like it, though.

"Gibraltar" on the current reissue of 'Sugar' was recorded at the same session as the rest of the album, but Creed Taylor chose not to include it, allegedly because he found it too monotonous... It was recorded again four months later during the sessions for "The Sugar Man", but again wasn't included on the album.

I've gotten these reissues and I'm very happy with the sound. The only album I had on CD previously is 'Red Clay' (from 2001) and compared to that I prefer the sound on the latest reissue. As has been mentioned the sound is warm and full, and while I haven't compared them with the LP versions they seem to have been remastered faithfully to the original sound. A big drawback is the lack of any information whatsoever (dates, musicians etc.) regarding bonus tracks.

Edited by Daniel A

The live versions of Red Clay and Sugar were recorded July 19, 1971 (a day after the Hollywood Palladium recording) at the Southgate Palace in LA. Interestingly enough, Creed was unaware of these new reissues and I'm sure he'd disapprove of the "California Concert" reissue with all the bonus tracks because he feels all the bonus tracks added to the CD reissues were left off the albums for a reason.

Interesting indeed! Yet another chapter in the CTI saga, I s'pose. Y'know, I've never really liked the live tracks you just mentioned. For that matter, and now that I think about it, I've never been a big fan of live CTI albums in general. The tracks just seem to go on fooooooooorrrrrrrreveerrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! The studio tracks, OTOH, are finely polished gems, IMHO.

My copy of the new "California Concert" reissue should be in the mail today, will let everyone know how it compares. Doug Payne told me it is the best American released CTI CD he's heard.

Unfortunately the copy of California Concert I ordered from Amazon.co.uk has been delayed by 2 weeks. They did shop my copy of The Cool Revolution yesterday. I'm very much looking forward to hearing how the new mastering compares to the older reissues.