CTI reissues: box-set, 1971 concert, single titles

ghost of miles

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still no Joe Farrell, hopes dashed again :angry:

Looks like Wounded Bird Records is releasing three of Joe Farrell's CTI records: Penny Arcade, Canned Funk, and Upon This Rock. I very happy about this.

Here's the linky -- dinky

Out of the three, which one would you recommend the most?

I have not heard any of the three, so someone else will have to chime in on this one.

BTW, for some reason, in the past couple of months, CTI cds have really rekindled my interest in jazz, there's just something about CTI, and Taylor's approach, that I'm finding... fun! I'm even starting to buy nothing but CTI right now, striving to build a nice collection.

Still no Joe Farrell, hopes dashed again :angry:

Looks like Wounded Bird Records is releasing three of Joe Farrell's CTI records: Penny Arcade, Canned Funk, and Upon This Rock. I very happy about this.

Here's the linky -- dinky

Out of the three, which one would you recommend the most?

Nice review of all three off of Doug Payne's website

'Upon this Rock' is a bit fusiony, but great playing by both Beck & Farrell(As I recall, haven't heard 'em in about 25+ years!. I can't order from Wounded Bird directly(no orders from NY state),so I have to wait until I can order them from Artist shop. I've waited for a looong time for these, so a little more won't hurt. Many thanks for the heads up Matthew!

I got the 4-disc set for Xmas and have been working my way through. Of the CTI LPs that I care about (pre-disco, no Bob James arrangements), I think I have all of them on vinyl, so it's nice to have stuff on CD.

I like disc 2 (the groovy disc) and disc 3 (the Brazilian disc) the best. Discs 1 and 4 are a mixed bag.

I have long been obsessed with Hubert Laws's version of "Fire and Rain" from Afro Classic. Really nice to have that one on CD.

I also heartily recommend PENNY ARCADE! The other two aren't too shabby either and, in the absence of any other CTI Farrell on CD, will do very nicely!

Another :tup for Penny Arcade. Really smokes and is fun-kay :excited:

Edited by Eric

I hate to be the party pooper here, but as I listen to Hubert Laws' Morning Star, I am reminded of how bad CTI really was. OUCH!

Eh, understandable! CTI definitely ain't everyone's cuppa coffee. IMHO, "Morning Star" is one of the most beautiful records on the planet, but you can take that with a grain of salt: you should see my dislike list! :D

Alright folks, I've tried and tried and tried and TRIED, but I can't help it: CALIFORNIA CONCERT is one of *the* most boring records I've ever tried to get through. That's the gamble with live albums, I guess: they are always of the moment, and I'm sure seeing these guys strut their stuff in person was monumental to say the least. Unfortunately, that doesn't always translate to the most exciting of live albums, and this one's no exception. These songs go on foooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrevvvvvvvvvvvverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! I was hoping that the unreleased stuff would've warranted investigation beyond the original LP, but it turns out that doubling the length of boring just means twice as boring.

And I can't help but wonder: Freddie sounds incredibly bored with the whole thing, playing the same ol' licks that began plaguing him in the late 60's. Or am I just imagining things?

Alright folks, I've tried and tried and tried and TRIED, but I can't help it: CALIFORNIA CONCERT is one of *the* most boring records I've ever tried to get through. That's the gamble with live albums, I guess: they are always of the moment, and I'm sure seeing these guys strut their stuff in person was monumental to say the least. Unfortunately, that doesn't always translate to the most exciting of live albums, and this one's no exception. These songs go on foooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrevvvvvvvvvvvverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! I was hoping that the unreleased stuff would've warranted investigation beyond the original LP, but it turns out that doubling the length of boring just means twice as boring.

And I can't help but wonder: Freddie sounds incredibly bored with the whole thing, playing the same ol' licks that began plaguing him in the late 60's. Or am I just imagining things?

More to the point, this is the gamble with live CTI albums, or most of the studio ones for that matter.

And what's wrong with Ron Carter on Red Clay? It sounds as if he's playing it in a different key that the others. Or his bass was just terribly out of tune. There are 2 versions in the real book (in C and in C sharp) so mayby he's confused about that!!! (can't imagine actually).

Did anyone hear the 3 Joe Farrell Wounded Bird reissue cd's already? I've heard Canned Funk and Penny Arcade and they sound very bad. Muffled and restricted as if they are transferred from bad LP copies.

I remember the Penny LP to sound quite good.

I've played all three a couple of times, and they sound good to me -- of course, I have nothing to compare them with, it's the first time I have heard them.