CTI reissues: box-set, 1971 concert, single titles

ghost of miles

I'm starting to collect the CTI: Timeless Collection 40 out of Japan, and they are very good, with the mastering being excellent. Highly recommended to take a chance if you find some.

Deodato Deodato 2

Deodato Prelude

Deodato/Airto In Concert

Airto Fingers

Airto Free

Ray Barretto La Cuna

Antonio Carlos Jobim Stone Flower

Astrud Gilberto Gilberto With Turrentine

Jackie & Roy A Wilder Alias

Jackie & Roy Time & Love

Patti Austin End Of A Rainbow

Patti Austin Havana Candy

Nina Simone Baltimore

Urbie Green The Fox

Hubert Laws The Rite Of Spring

Hubert Laws The Chicago Theme

Lalo Schifrin Black Widow

Lalo Schifrin Towering Toccata

Fuse One Fuse One

Fuse One Silk

Freddie Hubbard Red Clay

Freddie Hubbard Polar AC

Freddie Hubbard/Stanley Turrentine In Concert

Jim Hall Concierto

Chet Baker/Jim Hall/ Hubert Laws Studio Trieste

Chet Baker She Was Too Good To Me

Bill Evans Montreux II

George Benson Summertime/2001(aka In Concert -Carnegie Hall)

Milt Jackson Sunflower

Milt Jackson Olinga

Stanley Turrentine Sugar

Stanley Turrentine with Milt Jackson Cherry

Paul Desmond Skylark

Paul Desmond Pure Desmond

Joe Farrell Outback

Art Farmer/Jim Hall Big Blues

Don Sebesky Giant Box

Gabor Szabo Mizrab

Allan Holdsworth Velvet Darkness

Randy Weston Blue Moses

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Holdsworth album is far from what most people would expect from a mid 70s CTI album, though perhaps not the best recording of Holdsworth. Has anybody else heard it?

It was released in the 90s as a Columbia Jazz Masterpieces cd against Holdsworth's wishes. I have it. I find it interesting, but just ok.

The Holdsworth album is far from what most people would expect from a mid 70s CTI album, though perhaps not the best recording of Holdsworth. Has anybody else heard it?

It was released in the 90s as a Columbia Jazz Masterpieces cd against Holdsworth's wishes. I have it. I find it interesting, but just ok.

I find it mediocre and generic, and I actually like 70's Holdsworth quite a bit. Pick up Soft Machine 'Bundles' to hear him shine on the side-long "Hazard Profile".

Matthew, try to get Johnny Hammond's "Breakout" and Hubbard's "Straight Life" while you're on the CTI kick. Those are two of my favorites.

I'm making an Amoeba run on Monday, hopefully they will be there.

Yes, definitely STRAIGHT LIFE. That's Hubbard's CTI masterpiece, AFAIC.

They weren't there today when I went. I'll try again in a couple of weeks, and hopefully at least Straight Life will be in the bins.

PS: Got a ton of other CTI / Kudo stuff though...

Edited by Matthew

Such as... :)

Gabor Szabo: Mizrab

Deodato: 2

Ester Phillips: Capricorn Princess

Hank Crawford: We Got A Good Thing Going

Freddie Hubbard: Polar AC

George Benson: In Concert - Carnegie Hall. Guest: Hurbert Laws

George Benson: Shape Of Things To Come

George Benson: I Got A Woman And Some Blues

Wes Montgomery: Down Here On The Ground

Wes Montgomery: Goin' Out Of My Head

Wes Montgomery: A Day In The Life

Idris Muhammad: Power Of Soul

Johnny Hammond: Gambler's Life (never heard of the CTI subsidiary label Salvation before)

Hurbert Laws: The Chicago Theme

Maybe not a ton, but it was a lot.

Wow! Nice haul!! I really wish I had an Amoeba near me. When I went to the Amoeba in LA on vacation last year, I almost passed out seeing so many bins full of jazz CD's -- so much music and I had so little time to explore -- I did, however, bring back a nice little haul myself!! ;)

Ordered Ron Carter's All Blues yesterday - I'm curious about the sound, in particular, although there certainly will be an improvement over my scratchy second generation LP pressing. Musically, it is the best of Carter's CTI albums, IMHO.

What I'd like to see is a double with all of the New York Jazz Quartet recordings (there was a second concert released only in Japan), as these are superb.

That was Ron Carter and Ben Riley along with Frank Wess and Roland Hanna, BTW:

(never heard of the CTI subsidiary label Salvation before)

They did one album by the New York Jazz Quartet (Frank Wess, Roland Hanna, I forget the other two...) & one, I think, by Airto. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks, I'll have to look for these next time at Amoeba.

Matthew, man, nice score!

Gabor Szabo: Mizrab is, like most of Szabo's output, an underrated beauty! Same can be said for Freddie Hubbard: Polar AC! Idris Muhammad: Power Of Soul more than lives up to its name. I'd love to hear your opinion of Johnny Hammond: Gambler's Life. Is that a one- or two-LP set? Also Hubert Laws: The Chicago Theme; I see that from time to time, but have yet to actually get it. Would love to hear your opinion of this one, too.

Matthew, man, nice score!

Gabor Szabo: Mizrab is, like most of Szabo's output, an underrated beauty! Same can be said for Freddie Hubbard: Polar AC! Idris Muhammad: Power Of Soul more than lives up to its name. I'd love to hear your opinion of Johnny Hammond: Gambler's Life. Is that a one- or two-LP set? Also Hubert Laws: The Chicago Theme; I see that from time to time, but have yet to actually get it. Would love to hear your opinion of this one, too.

Johnny Hamond's Gambler's Life is an interesting cd, he does not play the organ, but plays a Fender Rhodes throughout the session (the cd has four other cuts from different albums), and it is arranged and produced by Larry Mizell of Blue Note fame / infamy. The sound is heavily layered, with percussion, wah-wah guitars, and vocals, some wordless, some with lyrics, that are layered also, forming the basis of each number. The only solos you hear are by Hammond, and after awhile, things start to sound the same. It's still good, but I don't think it's a cd that will get constant rotation on my player, it seems like a "mood cd," if you know what I mean. Hurbert Laws The Chicago Theme has Bob James doing most of the arranging, and is more low key than Hammond's. Laws solos on each song, and a host of others make appearances -- there are no less that thirty-one musicians listed. Both albums were recorded in 1974, and have that early '70 feel to them. Overall, I prefer the Laws' cd, as it is less frenetic than Gambler's Life, and seems more musical, while Gambler's Life seems centered on creating an atmosphere. I'm glad I have both, but if I saw both cds in front of me, I would recommend The Chicago Theme first.

edit for spelling

Edited by Matthew

I think you'll be quite happy with the sound on "All Blues."

Sorry - no .... but the reissue engieners probably made the best of it. I never liked RVGs sound on the CTI LPs - too much noise reduction, still a lot of hiss, very artificial instrument balance, drums too low in the mix, unpersonal bass pickup sound, uniform piano sound, hardly any natural room ambiance, you name it - for my ears, a low point in jazz audio engineering. You can hardly hear Cobham's cymbals - they probably mixed them down to avoid the high level of hiss on these tapes. The playing is very good, but the recording is ruined, IMO.

Maybe the bad sound is the reason they left off this one from the first batch of CTI reissues many years ago?