re- Herbie/Fat Albert Rotunda- Van Gelder stampers

mellow.gif hey you guys, my question to you is: i was suprised today to see my copy of fat albert rotunda, is on the Warner label, but has vangelder stampers! what i wanted to know, is: ---are the vangelder stamped issses only on the whitelabel promo (which is what i have) does the standard, i guess it would be...greenlabel issue...does or does not use vangelder stamps. i would guess: no, right? i mean vangelder stampers on a WB record? no way right? well i do seem to recall a grover washington jr record from like 74 ot 75 on motown, and vangelders are on THAT...so....

mellow.gif hey you guys, my question to you is: i was suprised today to see my copy of fat albert rotunda, is on the Warner label, but has vangelder stampers! what i wanted to know, is: ---are the vangelder stamped issses only on the whitelabel promo (which is what i have) does the standard, i guess it would be...greenlabel issue...does or does not use vangelder stamps. i would guess: no, right? i mean vangelder stampers on a WB record? no way right? well i do seem to recall a grover washington jr record from like 74 ot 75 on motown, and vangelders are on THAT...so....

Grover Washington Jr's later Kudu albums were distributed by Motown. Then they signed him up, but he only made 2 LPs, before moving to Elektra. He produced his own albums at Motown & Elektra. The first one on Motown, "Reed seed" was not recorded by RVG, it was done in Philly. But RVG mastered it. And there's a Van Gelder stamp on my copy. The follow up, "Skylarking" had no involvement from RVG and I'd be surprised if originals had a Van Gelder stamp, but I don't know because I have a Spanish edition, issued by Discos Belter.

The last album GWJ made at Kudu, "Live at the Bijou" had no RVG involvement either but, curiously, there is a very faint trace of a Van Gelder stamp on both sides of both discs - but so faint it looks as if there had been an attempt to rub it out. Now, if RVG had no input into that album, what are his stampers doing in the dead wax, looking like they're not supposed to be there? I conclude someone else must have been able to use those stampers, so that an error could be made. If one error, why not another? Why not many?

MG

PS Just to add, the recording credits on "Live at the Bijou" are

live recording at Bijou Cafe, Philly, by Dale Ashby & Father

Mixed at Electric Lady Studios

David Palmer, Engineer

Joel Cohn, Assistant Engineer

Did any of these people have a connection with RVG that might have enabled them to access a Van Gelder stamp?

MG

Fat Albert was recorded by RVG so no surprise really.