FMP in Retrospect

FMP is planning a 12 CD retrospective set plus book.

Info here: http://www.fmp-label.de/special-subscription/FMPSubscriptionWEB-website1-index.html

Contains a mix of issued and unissued material. CDs will also be available separately. I'm excited about CD1. Check out who did the liner notes for CD 12.

The CDs:

CD 01 (FMP CD 137): Baden-Baden ’75 / Globe Unity Orchestra & Guests 1975

Enrico Rava-trumpet; Manfred Schoof-trumpet; Kenny Wheeler-trumpet;

Anthony Braxton-alto saxophone, clarinet; Peter Brötzmann-saxophones & clarinets;

Rüdiger Carl-alto & tenor saxophone; Gerd Dudek-soprano & tenor saxophone, flute;

Evan Parker-soprano & tenor saxophone; Michel Pilz-bass clarinet;

Günter Christmann-trombone; Albert Mangelsdorff-trombone; Paul Rutherford-trombone;

Alexander von Schlippenbach-piano; Peter Kowald-double bass, tuba;

Buschi Niebergall-double bass; Paul Lovens-drums

Unissued (Exception: Titel “Jahrmarkt” by Peter Kowald reissued from PoTorch LP)

Liner Notes: G. Fritze Margull, Alexander von Schlippenbach/Rüdiger Carl, Martin Speicher

CD 02 (FMP CD 138): In Berlin / Steve Lacy - Solo 1975 & Quintett 1977

Steve Lacy-soprano saxophone;

&

Steve Potts-alto saxophone; Irène Aebi-cello;

Kent Carter-double bass; Oliver Johnson-drums

Reissue: Solo (LP Stabs) & Quintet (2. Side Follies)

Liner Notes: Bill Shoemaker

CD 03 (FMP CD 139): Messer und… / Schweizer/Carl/Moholo 1975/77

Rüdiger Carl-alto & tenor saxophone, clarinet, piccolo flute;

Irène Schweizer-piano; Louis Moholo-drums

Reissue: LP Messer & 1. Side Tuned Boots

Liner Notes: Ulrich Kurth

CD 04 (FMP CD 140): at Quartier Latin / Schlippenbach Quartet 1975/77

Evan Parker-soprano & tenor saxophone; Alexander von Schlippenbach-piano;

Peter Kowald-double bass; Paul Lovens-percussion instruments

Reissue: LP The Hidden Peak & 2. Side Three Nails Left

Liner Notes: Klaus Kürvers

CD 05 (FMP CD 141): Wolke in Hosen / Brötzmann Solo 1976

Peter Brötzmann-clarinets, alto-, tenor-, bass-saxophone

Reissue: first Brötzmann Solo LP

Liner Notes: Thomas Millroth

CD 06 (FMP CD 142): UND?...plus / Malfatti/Wittwer 1977

Radu Malfatti-trombone, etc.; Stephan Wittwer-guitar, etc.

Reissue: LP UND? & Bonus Track

Liner Notes: Felix Klopotek

CD 07 (FMP CD 143): Piano Solo / Fred Van Hove 1981/86

Fred Van Hove-piano

Reissue: LP Prosper 1981 & LP Die Letzte 1986

Liner Notes: Rob Leurentop

CD 08 (FMP CD 144): Close Up / Die Like A Dog 1994

Peter Brötzmann-alto-, tenor- & bass saxophone, tarogato, a-clarinet, bass clarinet;

Toshinori Kondo-trumpet, electronics; William Parker-double bass;

Hamid Drake-drums, tablas

Unissued

Liner Notes: David Keenan

CD 09 (FMP CD 145): Choral-Konzert / Manfred Schulze Bläser Quintett 1998

Paul Schwingenschlögl-trumpet; Manfred Hering-alto saxophone;

Heiner Reinhardt-tenor saxophone; Gert Anklam-baritone saxophone;

Johannes Bauer-trombone

Unissued

Liner Notes: Bert Noglik

CD 10 (FMP CD 146): Live In Berlin / MANUELA plus 1999

Rüdiger Carl-clarinet, accordion, claviola; Jin Hi Kim-komungo;

Hans Reichel-guitar, daxophone; Carlos Zingaro-violin

Unissued

Liner Notes: Felix Klopotek

CD 11 (FMP CD 147): Was Da Ist (live) / Peter Kowald 2000

Peter Kowald-double bass; voice

Unissued

Liner Notes: Ulrich Kurth

CD 12 (FMP CD 148): Stretto / Tristan Honsinger & Olaf Rupp 2010

Tristan Honsinger-cello; Olaf Rupp-guitar

Unissued / new

Liner Notes: Clifford Allen

I'd love this set, but, not surprisingly, FMP makes it that much harder to buy it. Bank transfers sounds a bit 19th century. You would think PayPal would be easy enough. This is not going to be inexpensive either. The set is about $247.00 (a sliver more than $20 per disc) and shipping is another $41.00 sad.gif (and that's not even for air, only surface post). You gotta really want it. I do. But they ain't making it easy.

Payment details are pretty sketchy. Are you planning to order this? How would I go about it? The Europeans seem to go for instant bank transfers which are not available here in the USA. Has anyone bought anything straight from FMP?

It's kind of like ordering Stockhausen CDs--too much trouble. I would imagine the set will see some limited distribution once it is released. Box looks nice, but I'd likely pick up the first CD separately.

Stockhausen CDs are easy to order.

You write a check in dollars.

Yes, you have to add an exorbitant bank fee

of $18 to your order, but otherwise it's quite easy.

But doesn't the cheque have to be in Euros or US dollars? For the rest of the world, that means standing in a bank lineup.

However, there is a UK site where you can pay for Stockhausen CDs by credit card.

I'm particularly interested in discs 1,2,4,5,7,8. I'm going to have to debate whether to buy singles, or splurge for the box/book. I'm looking forward to the reviews of the box when it comes out. I hope this signals other reissues on the label and/or mining of the vaults. I'd love to have a "clean" sonic copy of Globe Unity's Pearls some day.

It's kind of like ordering Stockhausen CDs--too much trouble. I would imagine the set will see some limited distribution once it is released. Box looks nice, but I'd likely pick up the first CD separately.

I agree. I'd love to hear the music on the box but fancy-price commodity music buying is not top of my agenda these days. First disk is a must-hear, after that there's a few I might like to hear in due course. At that price it's competing directly with the Beatles box. In the end the prices tumbled on things like the Ayler and Two T's, so the time might come for those who have patience and/or a good streaming service. Looks good though...

I received a flyer in the mail about the following:

There is a subscription running until November 30, 2010 for a 12 CD retrospective box set of the FMP label, the CDs will be available separately after that; the set will be availbale in January, 2011 in a limited edition of 1000 copies. Half of the CDs are unissued material by the Globe Unity Orchestra, Peter Brötzmann, Manfred Schulze, MANUELA, Peter Kowald, Tristan Honsinger etc.

Please e-mail fmp[at]freemusicproduction.de for details - sorry but I don't have the time to list all the music included ... seems there is on info on their website about the box set. 

Price will be € 178.50 plus shipping.

The box set and shipping (quite costly) would come to just a sliver under $300. My bank charges $40 for the bank transfer (apparently the bailout wasn't enough). So, $340 total for the 12 discs and book(let). That is just too heavy, for me. The cream of the box is:

CD 02 (FMP CD 138): In Berlin / Steve Lacy - Solo 1975 & Quintett 1977

CD 04 (FMP CD 140): at Quartier Latin / Schlippenbach Quartet 1975/77

CD 05 (FMP CD 141): Wolke in Hosen / Brötzmann Solo 1976

CD 08 (FMP CD 144): Close Up / Die Like A Dog 1994

CD 02: (FMP CD 137): Baden-Baden '75 / Globe Unity Orchestra & Guests 1975

I suppose I'll just grab the single issues. Would be nice to have the book though!

Edited by Leeway

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Sorry to pull up a long ago discussion but...

For those of us who missed this set, I've noticed a re-release of some sort (along with single FMP CDs) listed as "Spanish Import" for sale on numerous sites (Barnes and Noble, Amazon, ImportCDs, etc). Anyone familiar with this? Did this stuff get licensed out for legitimate reissues?

Aaron

yes, we're not allowed to post links to possible bootlegs here, even if they're on amazon... but: with the information you provide it takes significant effort to figure out which reissues you are talking about - this degree of discretion is not necessary afaik. It would help if you provide the names of two or three albums included in this series, and/or the name of the label...