Happy Birthday Lester Bowie

Chuck Nessa

God, I miss that guy. Heard him a few times, never knew him, but still...just knowing that such a spirit was alive and walking the earth gave me joy.

I look at so many of the sprints walking the earth today and...any number of thousands - millions - of them combined do not contain the truth & beauty & wisdom & all the other ingredients for joy as did the one Lester Bowie.

At some rapidly approaching point, that will no longer matter. But that doesn't make it any less true. If anything, it makes it all the more true.

Keep it alive, by any means necessary.

He was definintely one of the most creative voices in jazz. Such a tragic loss to the music community in general. Got to meet him once after an astonishing lecture he gave while I was in college and man, what an impression he left on me (he even wore the lab coat). I think I'll spin Tribute to Lester in his honor today.

edit: how could I forget, Happy Birthday!

Edited by Holy Ghost

I saw him play twice and both were quite memorable. The first was with Brass Fantasy, and I believe they covered 'My Way' that night1 What a powerhouse group, a bunch of brass and Philip Wilson on drums(WOW!!!)

The second was with an adhoc group lester put together called the 'Hip-Hop Feelharmonic' that had a huge brass section, huge woodwind section, strings and about 4 drummers. It had to be about 30-35 pieces altogether, and they swung like mad. Once the bamd was properly revved up he brought out a half dozen rappers to great effect. Crowd went wild and I kept thinking that you'd never hear anything like this on the radio, it busted too many barriers. HB Lester, and thanks so much.

• 10 years later...
On 11/10/2010 at 11:21 PM, PHILLYQ said:

The second was with an adhoc group lester put together called the 'Hip-Hop Feelharmonic' that had a huge brass section, huge woodwind section, strings and about 4 drummers. It had to be about 30-35 pieces altogether, and they swung like mad. Once the bamd was properly revved up he brought out a half dozen rappers to great effect. Crowd went wild and I kept thinking that you'd never hear anything like this on the radio, it busted too many barriers. HB Lester, and thanks so much.

Did this group ever record?