Miles Davis - Complete Live at the Blue Coronet 1969

mjzee

• 4 weeks later...

Set 1: This/Agitation/No Blues/Paraphernalia

Set 2: Gingerbread Boy/Paraphernalia/Miles Runs the Voodoo Down/Masqualero/Walkin'

It's a shame that there aren't more club dates from late 1969 - I think Miles kept playing the older repertoire until pretty late and this is not really reflected in the (phenomenal) European recordings from the fall.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I just got that double CD yesterday.

I don´t care so much for the sound quality, I´ve been through so many Parker&Co live material, which I have enjoyed for the wealth of music, that a mediocre sound quality is a small price for me.

About the music: It´s sure among the last occasions when Miles played material like "Walkin´", "No Blues", "Gingerbread Boy" along with some material from recent albums like "Miles in the Sky" etc.

The most "far out" musician of the group is Chick Corea, playing through all the stuff on Fender Rhodes. At one moment he starts his solo with a phrase that sounds like if a phone is ringing. He repeats that phrase, it´s really fun.

Another point: Dave Holland. The difference between him and Ron Carter is, that Ron played more "the bottom" of the stuff, while Holland frequently uses the higher register and leaves out the bottom. I´m quite sure that was some of Miles´directions, like "play what´s not here". Really really interesting.

And don´t forget Wayne and Jack DeJohnette, they really exciting.

I would disagree... the fall material is the best, the band got better collectively over time. However, the Blue Coronet stuff is probably more likely to appeal to fans of straight-ahead jazz.

To my recollection the best-sounding of the early lost quintet gigs (before the Antibes concerts in July) is from the Village Gate, in April or May.

The starter kit I would recommend for this lineup:

Both Antibes concerts (July 25th and 26th)

Rome (October 27th)

Rotterdam (November 9th)

I would disagree... the fall material is the best, the band got better collectively over time. However, the Blue Coronet stuff is probably more likely to appeal to fans of straight-ahead jazz.

To my recollection the best-sounding of the early lost quintet gigs (before the Antibes concerts in July) is from the Village Gate, in April or May.

The starter kit I would recommend for this lineup:

Both Antibes concerts (July 25th and 26th)

Rome (October 27th)

Rotterdam (November 9th)

Although many here are fans of only straight ahead jazz, I do not fit into that group. I wholeheartedly stand by my original statement. My ears must be hearing things in a different way than yours are.

Which date is the one that there were technical problems with the Rhodes?? - and Chick plays acoustic piano(!) for the entire first set.

Answering my own question, there appear to be
TWO
such dates,
(4 items, including an acoustic "Miles Runs the Voodoo Down"; TT = 19:57), and
(15 items, including "Bitches Brew" as possibly being acoustic, and "Paraphernalia" most certainly is acoustic; TT = 103:25)

So I've always been curious to hear what is essentially acoustic "Bitches Brew"-era Miles.

Can anybody speak to these? Has anybody heard the "recent re-broadcasts" of the two shows from 5-NOV-69??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Which date is the one that there were technical problems with the Rhodes?? - and Chick plays acoustic piano(!) for the entire first set.

Answering my own question, there appear to be
TWO
such dates,
(4 items, including an acoustic "Miles Runs the Voodoo Down"; TT = 19:57), and
(15 items, including "Bitches Brew" as possibly being acoustic, and "Paraphernalia" most certainly is acoustic; TT = 103:25)

So I've always been curious to hear what is essentially acoustic "Bitches Brew"-era Miles.

Can anybody speak to these? Has anybody heard the "recent re-broadcasts" of the two shows from 5-NOV-69??

The 11/5/69 date has two sets. During "Bitches Brew" at the beginning of the 1st set, the electric piano breaks down. Chick eventually comes back with the acoustic piano for the piano solo of that tune. Then, they play post-bop material for the remainder of the set - "Paraphernalia", "Nefertiti", "Masqualero". By the 2nd set the electric piano is working again.

I've only listened to the 7/27/69 date once and don't remember it that well.

The acoustic interlude is interesting enough, but it ultimately shows how the Rhodes was the right sound for that band and that music.

IMO, of course.:rolleyes:

At the risk of getting too arcane, are you sure that it's a Rhodes electric piano at that point and not the Wurlitzer (or any other model)? Or were you using Rhodes as the generic for "electric piano" such as Kleenex for "tissue" or Scotch Tape for "cellophane tape"?

Edited by Mark Stryker

[link removed; discussing bootlegs is fine, but we don't allow links to pages where they can be obtained - see forum rule 7]

That seems like a tenuous line being applied here. Who's to say this is an illegal bootleg?

The original link was to Amazon. It shows it as an import from the label Ais. It's even being offered with Free Super Saver Shipping.

I'm sure if Amazon was aware it was selling illegal goods, it would shut the page down, no?

The acoustic interlude is interesting enough, but it ultimately shows how the Rhodes was the right sound for that band and that music.

At the risk of getting too arcane, are you sure that it's a Rhodes electric piano at that point and not the Wurlitzer (or any other model)? Or were you using Rhodes as the generic for "electric piano" such as Kleenex for "tissue" or Scotch Tape for "cellophane tape"?

No, I was using Rhodes as a specific b/c that's what Chick usually used. Not sure if he always used it, though. Don't think he traveled with one, so anything is possible.

And I do think that overall, Rhodes (the specific) was the right sound for that band and that music.

[link removed; discussing bootlegs is fine, but we don't allow links to pages where they can be obtained - see forum rule 7]

That seems like a tenuous line being applied here. Who's to say this is an illegal bootleg?

The original link was to Amazon. It shows it as an import from the label Ais. It's even being offered with Free Super Saver Shipping.

I'm sure if Amazon was aware it was selling illegal goods, it would shut the page down, no?

Nothing tenuous here. It is a bootleg. Miles was under contract with Columbia at the time, and the rights are now owned by Sony.

I don't know why CDs with unauthorized material are being sold by Amazon, but the fact that CDs like this set are being offered with Free Super Saver Shipping doesn't say anything about the legality of the items.

Miles was using the Fender Rhodes on the road during this period.

Guy

Nothing tenuous here. It is a bootleg. Miles was under contract with Columbia at the time, and the rights are now owned by Sony.

I don't know why CDs with unauthorized material are being sold by Amazon, but the fact that CDs like this set are being offered with Free Super Saver Shipping doesn't say anything about the legality of the items.

While I am sympathetic to the general rule of "no bootleg links" on this board, this seems to be an overly zealous application of that rule.

That said, I think most people can figure out from this discussion how to search amazon for the recording in question. Not to mention all the other wonderful ways to acquire it, many of which do not involve paying $$$ to bootleggers.

Guy

While I am sympathetic to the general rule of "no bootleg links" on this board, this seems to be an overly zealous application of that rule.

I don't see the difference, a bootleg is a bootleg and the rule here is "no linking bootlegs", period. No exceptions. There's nothing zealous about it.