Last Verve Gatefold

Chas

The Velvet Underground and Nico.

That was blue label not black.

I must be color blind. My copy has a black label and gatefold.

There was a discussion about the black label version over at Hoffman's. Seems inconclusive as to whether first pressings had black as well as blue labels.

In any event, the three jazz records you've listed are what I had in mind by specifying black label, and they were issued after that Velvet Underground LP in any case.

Despite the existence of a Verve jazz gatefold from 1972 (Bluesmith), I believe that many Verve jazz LPs from the late sixties were never issued in gatefold jackets. Instead of determining which gatefold was the latest, perhaps it would be better to compile a list of all known Verve jazz gatefolds.

Also, am I correct in assuming that for black label originals, gatefold and non-gatefold jackets do not exist for the same title ?

I'm not an expert, but I have many, many Verve albums that I have accumulated over many, many years. It seems like the titles I've encountered numerous times over the years are consistent as far as gatefold or not. There must be exceptions to this, but I can't think of any offhand.

Edited by Teasing the Korean