Exterminate all the brutes

David Ayers

So here I am at Rays, looking through all the new vinyl. I am checking a copy of The Cooker in the light of a discussion in another thread. I'm expecting it to be a facsimile, but the rear cover is modified, though it quotes the original notes, and there is an EXTRA TRACK on the LP which I find odd. So I check other classic LPs which are all in this format (modified rear cover, peculiar extra track) and are all on the Jazzwax label. So someone tell me this is not just Andorran vinyl of a weird variety. All are DMMs (!) and come in at £15 which is maybe $20 so not cheap either. Anyone know anything about these?

Well these are definitely from the same organization that is doing the CD 'pirates'. The covers are the same as some of those fakes. They are listed here at amazon.co.uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=jazz+wax+records&tag=googhydr-21&index=music&hvadid=3435113706&ref=pd_sl_7w5ffa0qlf_e#/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n%3A229816%2Ck%3Ajazz+wax+records&keywords=jazz+wax+records&ie=UTF8&qid=1287311264

Check out the fake Way Out West cover:

51T4UsnxYgL._SS500_.jpg

:puke:

I didn't buy one! There is no name on the notes, and most of the notes are just a word-for-word quotation of the original notes. The company name appears (Jazz Wax Records), there is no address or even country of origin. Reference to the original label is removed. The sticker about DMM contains some hocus pocus and an engineer's name. I found brief mention of these on the SH forum (I don't read that forum, I was googling, honest...) and someone said the sound was fine though guessed it was taken from a CD.

I think these are designed to cash in on the market for genuine audiophile vinyl and depend on confusion marketing. I'm not sure why Ray's bought so many. They seem to have pushed put genuine product. They are cheaper than genuine audiophile, though they resemble them, and dearer than the OJC and Blue Note new vinyl you sometimes see knocking around.

I didn't buy one! There is no name on the notes, and most of the notes are just a word-for-word quotation of the original notes. The company name appears (Jazz Wax Records), there is no address or even country of origin. Reference to the original label is removed. The sticker about DMM contains some hocus pocus and an engineer's name. I found brief mention of these on the SH forum (I don't read that forum, I was googling, honest...) and someone said the sound was fine though guessed it was taken from a CD.

I think these are designed to cash in on the market for genuine audiophile vinyl and depend on confusion marketing. I'm not sure why Ray's bought so many. They seem to have pushed put genuine product. They are cheaper than genuine audiophile, though they resemble them, and dearer than the OJC and Blue Note new vinyl you sometimes see knocking around.

I am convinced all the "Audiophile" "180-gram" vinyl out there from previously unknown record labels are either boots or straight up pirates (especially the ones that claim to issued by the original label)

They're all surely from digital too. :tdown

But, I did buy the version of Miles Ahead (chick cover, stereo mix) just to have the corrected stereo version on a clean LP. It sounds okay...; nothing earth shattering.

And they are $20 to $25...so they're definitely not cheap.

Edited by Parkertown