Bad Santa

When I was living in Austin I got a call to be Santa one year (someone who knew Santa-like musicians made it happen).

Talk about earning your bread! That was the most miserable several hours I've ever spent. It was for the children of IBM employees and I thought it'd NEVER end!

The outfit/hat/makeup was hot as hell and the kids were a bunch of greedy, snot-spewing, terrified, incontinent bunch of little................"sweethearts". :rolleyes:

It was one of those "I'm such a whore!" moments equalled only by the TUX/BUX/SUX gigs.

Ho ho (cha-ching) ho.

I thought this was one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while. I liked the way there were a lot of out of nowhere jokes that they never really ended up explaining, and the way Billy Bob would deal with them....

A wooden pickle? The talking walnut? Strange but flipping funny in my book.

Talk about earning your bread! That was the most miserable several hours I've ever spent. It was for the children of IBM employees and I thought it'd NEVER end!

The outfit/hat/makeup was hot as hell and the kids were a bunch of greedy, snot-spewing, terrified, incontinent bunch of little................"sweethearts". :rolleyes:

Reminds me of a STORY in today's New York Times -- I was impressed with this Santa:

Victor Nevada, a retired real estate agent from Calgary, Alberta, who runs year-round weekend seminars to train department-store Santas… has worked as a Santa for 20 years...

About three weeks ago, Mr. Nevada said, he played Santa at a local mall and saw a boy in line — age 8 or so — throw his baseball cap squarely into his mother's face. The parents laughed uncomfortably, but did nothing.

Mr. Nevada faced a moral decision: should he capitulate and offer blandishments to the brat, or, attired in Santa's authoritative garb, teach him a lesson?

"I asked him to apologize to his mother, and he said no, and so I told him I was very sorry, but I didn't really have time for him that day," Mr. Nevada said. The boy started to cry. "Were they crocodile tears? I don't know. The kids can turn them on and off like taps."

Mr. Nevada said he became anxious as he saw the manager of the event approach him. But she told him he had done exactly what she would have done. And eventually, the child returned and said he had apologized to his mother.

"Nevertheless, I told him the page in my book with his name on it was a little smudged for the year," Mr. Nevada said.

Ho ho (cha-ching) ho.

Yeah, the Wash. Post ran some piece a few days ago that had some Santas pulling in $30K for a one month tour of mall duty (10-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week). That's alota TOCJs.

And in some malls, thirty grand is cheap at twice the price.

Imagine yourself stuck for ten hours per day, seven days a week, in a hot, synthetic Santa oufit, including fake beard and mustache, sweating like crazy, listening to a bunch of mostly snot-nosed spoiled, rude brats demanding stuff.

So, seventy hours a week, times four weeks at thirty grand works out to two hundred and eighty hours. So, they get paid just over a hundred bucks an hour. [my math is laughable, but I think I'm close]

But, it's only for a month and even so, I wouldn't do it. :blink::blink:

Edited by patricia

And in some malls, thirty grand is cheap at twice the price.

Imagine yourself stuck for ten hours per day, seven days a week, in a hot, synthetic Santa oufit, including fake beard and mustache, sweating like crazy, listening to a bunch of mostly snot-nosed spoiled, rude brats demanding stuff.

Remove the synthetic Santa outfit from the equation, and ya wonder how M. Cuscuna views the world? B) 'Yes, little Rodney, we're gonna schedule a release date for that 'Dance With Death' Conn'.............

........... 'Yes, Arthur, we'll do that Crusaders Mosaic just as soon as.....' :g

More bad Santas:

Santas Turn Bad at Islanders Game   

Wed Dec 24, 3:36 AM ET 

UNIONDALE, N.Y. - A parade of Santas turned holiday cheer into anything but at Nassau Coliseum.

The New York Islanders (news) offered a free ticket to Tuesday night's game against the Philadelphia Flyers (news) to anyone who came dressed as Santa Claus.

After the first period, around 1,000 Santa-clad fans were invited onto the ice in their costumes. But the good will went somewhat awry when two Santas ripped off their jackets to reveal jerseys of the rival New York Rangers (news).

Some Santas, partial to the Islanders, jumped the ones with the Rangers jerseys. They were knocked to the ice and had the shirts ripped off during a melee in one corner of the rink.

Security tried their best to calm the fans down, but some took advantage and went sliding across the ice.

The entire parade took nearly nine minutes, and nearly delayed the start of the second period. The Islanders rallied in the third period for a 4-2 victory.

Islanders forward Arron Asham said the team wasn't aware of the in-between periods excitement. But when he was briefed, a smile came across his face.

"Awesome," Asham said.

"Black Christmas", with, I think Margot Kidder is along the same lines as "Silent Night Deadly Night" and always seemed to be a strange way to celebrate the birth of the Savior.

But, when I think about it, not much stranger than celebrating the birth of the Savior with the gifting of someone with a posthole auger, or a thousand-bit screwdriver, or a table-saw or a set of questionable lingerie.

We all express our spirituality in our own unique way. :blink:

...not much stranger than celebrating the birth of the Savior with the gifting of someone with a posthole auger, or a thousand-bit screwdriver, or a table-saw or a set of questionable lingerie.

Well, all those items invoke a general sense of "drilling" in their own unique ways, and what better way to celebrate the gift of the Creator than to engage in creative acts, pro- or otherwise?

...not much stranger than celebrating the birth of the Savior with the gifting of someone with a posthole auger, or a thousand-bit screwdriver, or a table-saw or a set of questionable lingerie. 

Well, all those items invoke a general sense of "drilling" in their own unique ways, and what better way to celebrate the gift of the Creator than to engage in creative acts, pro- or otherwise?

:lol:

I've never looked at it that way before.

That's almost spiritual.

Puts the fight I saw at a sale at a department store, just before Christmas, over the last power-washer into perspective.

Creativity and spirituality takes many forms and far be it for me to scoff at it's many manifestations.............I guess.

Edited by patricia