Ahmad Jamal, Vindicated

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Comment deleted, thought better about it).

The first Jamal I ever hearsd was "Happy Moods" because somehow that lp got into the family collection before we left for Africa. I played that one over and over and over (another that I played over and over often right after it was "Bossa Nova USA" by Brubeck). The music on that lp still reaches out and grabs my imagination and pushes most of my pleasure buttons.

Edited by jazzbo

I like Jamal's playing in the above video clip,

but it shows that nuance is sorely missing with the other musicians.

The percussion is, to my ears, awful -

it's as if someone had opened the side doors to the club

and invited the Hare Krá¹£nas inside.

(Comment deleted, thought better about it).

The first Jamal I ever hearsd was "Happy Moods" because somehow that lp got into the family collection before we left for Africa. I played that one over and over and over (another that I played over and over often right after it was "Bossa Nova USA" by Brubeck). The music on that lp still reaches out and grabs my imagination and pushes most of my pleasure buttons.

Too bad you deleted the rest - I thought it was "on the money".

"Happy Moods" was my first Jamal too. I was in high school and got it from the Columbia Record Club.

I like Jamal's playing in the above video clip,

but it shows that nuance is sorely missing with the other musicians.

The percussion is, to my ears, awful -

it's as if someone had opened the side doors to the club

and invited the Hare Krá¹£nas inside.

Hey man, cell phone audio!

That was from earlier this year. Here we go, from 2005:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMprn3uDAVI

I love this shit, the timing, the float...it's almost like the Meters if they played in the clouds instead of from the earth (and that's a really horrid description, i know, but hey....maybe The Meters are like Jamal...or maybe they're both unique & so are you, and I'm full of shit. But I still love this... ).

Have to say that the previous clip did nothing for me, except make me feel like I wasted eight minutes of my life. Perhaps not a total waste, since I know I'll never listen to Ahmad Jamal again.

There seem to be many here who love his playing. They're not me and I'm not them - that's part of what makes all the different worlds of music we have.

Yeah, I liked that MUCH more than the 2010 version,

tho I liked Jamal's playing a bit more - (maybe, it's hard to hear) - on the '10 version

(minus the "...Silver Lining/Effendi (slight)" opening, of course).

Ideally:

• keep the rhythm section of '05 (please!)

• keep much of Jamal's playing from '10

• add the very fine ending (7:10 on... {Harmonies!}) from the '05.

*The Jamal/Jamal mashup*

Jamal's always in my heart and soul - been there for over 50 years - no reason to leave now.

Would you like any more ham in that ham sandwich?

I can enjoy Jamal the same way I can enjoy some Gene Harris. I suppose the difference is that Harris is (often) straightforward cheese and aimed at a, shall we say, less ept audience. Jamal is a better musican probably, but like Allen I feel quite resistant when large claims are made about his gentle noodling and dramatic pauses. That's entertainment, I suppose.

Ham and cheese in the same sammich? Now you're talking.

No-one heard Extensions then?

Damn near perfect.

Yup, it really is.

Hafta say that what others are calling noodling,

I thought was called the expressive style of

getting a lot out of a few carefully placed notes.

Quiet intensity of form going from "ppp" to "fff".

Dramatic pauses? We know what Miles would've said.

I humbly disagree - there is a difference between mannerism and style - and that, to me, is all mannerism.

For a welcome contrast listen to Count Basie play the piano - same basic concept of intermittent musical coloration - but his comments connect and add up to something. And they have a reason for being.

Edited by AllenLowe

This thread has become a very interesting read. It almost scares me to continue reading. If the reason that I enjoy the Ahmad Jamal trio so much is due to the fact that I haven't given it enough thought, then I'm not sure that I want to give it any more thought. :D

I like Jamal a lot- I've been enjoying the Mosaic box and other recordings, especially Chamber Music of the New Jazz. I saw the trio w/Idris Muhammad and James Cammack in concert a couple years ago and was thoroughly impressed by the swing, spontaneity and precision. I'm surprised by all the negativity here, but, as always, to each his/her own.

Edited by Free For All

I'm surprised there's so much anti-Jamal feeling here. Visceral distate like Allen's is more understandable than the critiques I've seen so far...

Especially when so many people have and will again jerked off twinkletoes like Hank Jones and Tommy Flanagan, or can abide Oscar Peterson in any way but getting to Lester or Ben. Or fucking Jarrett and all his standards crap-- worst records DeJohnette ever made and who sucked out Peacock's brain? At least Eicher puts the money back into the label to real hot shit like Roscoe and Frank Martin (New Series).

Jamal consistently challenges both the fingersnappers and the phony 'progressives'-- but then I'll defend nearly all John Lewis too; he probably shouldn't been so nice to Gary Giddins but it mighta seemed politic at the time.

Jamal Means Unconquered!

For me, the big difference between Miles and Jamal is what comes between the "dramatic pauses".

Edited by MomsMobley

... I'm surprised by all the negativity here, but, as always, to each his/her own.

Same here ... but no thoughts whatsoever will spoil my enjoyment of the Jamal Trio. 

Saw him two years ago with Cammack and Muhammad and was slightly disappointed - I love the relaxed precision there was with Crosby and Fournier. That's one of the greatest kinds of trio playing I have ever heard. 

For me, the big difference between Miles and Jamal is what comes between the "dramatic pauses".

No it's the pauses themselves that make me wish Miles would stay away ...  :g

Still not really sure what a "deeper jazz self" really is, but...

I can see how this poses any number of "critical problems" but I can also just as easily, at least, see how it also offers at least one pretty basic musical "solution" - it is what it is and really has no reason (to need/want) to be anything else.

Go 'head on, then!