Jimi Hendrix West Coast Seattle Boy

This is known to exist (I am not providing a link to a boot or anything, just a pseudo-discographical listing):

Which part is the 21-minute Young/Hendrix?

Bertrand.

1 13:46

2 8:19

3 1:59

4 9:23

5 7:19

6 5:26

7 World Traveler 5:56 [left channel dips from 3:30]

8 World Traveler (Reprise) 2:01

9 My Brother's Dead 10:20

10 Livin' At the Burwood 10:10

Total Time: 74:43

Jimi Hendrix - guitar

Larry Young - organ

Billy Cox - bass

Mitch Mitchell - drums

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bertrand, I don't have the details at hand, but I've heard from a collector and read online that the material on that cd is NOT Larry Young and Hendrix but another organist. Anyway I think none of the material you list is actually the jam with Larry Young that is on the box set.

Edited by jazzbo

• 2 years later...

Revisiting this set over the past couple of days and I somehow never watched the DVD! A lot of fun. Bootsy does a great job. What strikes me, time and again, is how level-headed and "regular" Jimi truly was, versus the pop icon and myth that I grew up imagining.

I haven't read any reviews of this set, and didn't click on the link above, but I just can't imagine how anyone could be disappointed in this set! It inspired me to pull the purple velvet box down for another marathon!

Revisiting this set over the past couple of days and I somehow never watched the DVD! A lot of fun. Bootsy does a great job. What strikes me, time and again, is how level-headed and "regular" Jimi truly was, versus the pop icon and myth that I grew up imagining.

I haven't read any reviews of this set, and didn't click on the link above, but I just can't imagine how anyone could be disappointed in this set! It inspired me to pull the purple velvet box down for another marathon!

Well...not sure about the "level-headed" part but god, given his upbringing...I agree about loving this set & the effect it has on revisiting the Purple. I tend to reach for discs 2-4 of West Coast Seattle when I want to hear some Hendrix.

Cary wrote: Dude goes off to basic training and come home famous.

It's not quite that simple, there was a lot of scuffling before the trip to England. But yeah, he rose at a young age and didn't last nearly long enough. I could listen to him everyday (he says, wearing one of his Hendrix t-shirts).

Edited by jazzbo

Well, I don't like WCSB very much and I am not the only one. (scroll down)

The material is just not up to the standards of the better EH-studio releases. The purple box is superior by miles and even some Dagger releases offer better quality material. As the guy says in his review, EH are scrapping the bottom of the barrel - and they continued to do that with PH&A.

I really love the WCSB box, and find nearly all of it to be illuminating stuff -- and most all of it very worthy of release. I'm not always in the mood for it, but I'm thankful they put it out, and (at times) love nearly all of it.

Also, I'm at least half sure the phrase "West Coast Seattle Boy" is from a diary entry of Jimi's - or somehow it's a phrase attributed to (or associated with) him. Maybe pre-fame? I think the liners mention this.

LONDON (AP) — Miles and Jimi. Jimi and Miles. Fans of the late trumpet and guitar masters have long known that Miles Davis and Jimi Hendrix had been making plans to record together in the year before Hendrix's sudden death in 1970.

But less attention has been paid to the bass player they were trying to recruit: Paul McCartney, who was busy with another band at the time.

This tantalizing detail about the super group that never was — jazz standout Tony Williams would have been on drums — is contained in an oft-overlooked telegram that Hendrix sent to McCartney at The Beatles' Apple Records in London on Oct. 21, 1969.

"We are recording and LP together this weekend in NewYork," it says, complete with typographical errors. "How about coming in to play bass stop call Alvan Douglas 212-5812212. Peace Jimi Hendrix Miles Davis Tony Williams."

More here:

Yahoo News

Not told ideally perhaps, but I prefer this one:

A man is having an affair with his secretary. They leave the office early one day and go to her apartment, where they screw all afternoon, finally fall asleep exhausted and don't wake up until 8 p.m.

The man rushes home, where his wife meets him at the door and asks where he has been.

The husband decides to confess. "My secretary and I are having an affair. We left work today, went to her place, screwed all afternoon, and then we fell asleep."

"You bastard," the wife says. "You've been playing golf again."

Again, not perfectly told, but I prefer it because golf is a game for obsessives and bowling AFAIK is not. Further, bowling, for those who do go hard for it, is a game that typically revolves around a bunch of guys getting together. Thus the Helmsley joke might have worked better if the punch line would have been something like: "You've been out bowling with your buddies again!"

A man I used to work with in the 1960s tried to write a joke:

A man used to like to drink beer and play poker with his pals, and his wife didn't like him drinking all that beer. If he came home late at night she would meet him at the door and smell his breath. If she smelled beer on his breath she wouldn't let him inside the house. He got tired of her treating her like that after awhile and decided to give up beer. So one night he brought some cans of sardines to the poker party. Whenever any pals offered him a beer he said, "No thanks," and ate another canful of sardines. That night when he came home from the party his wife met him at the door and said, "Have you been drinking again?" He said, "No," and she said, "Let me smell your breath."

My co-worker could not think of a punch line.

A man I used to work with in the 1960s tried to write a joke:

A man used to like to drink beer and play poker with his pals, and his wife didn't like him drinking all that beer. If he came home late at night she would meet him at the door and smell his breath. If she smelled beer on his breath she wouldn't let him inside the house. He got tired of her treating her like that after awhile and decided to give up beer. So one night he brought some cans of sardines to the poker party. Whenever any pals offered him a beer he said, "No thanks," and ate another canful of sardines. That night when he came home from the party his wife met him at the door and said, "Have you been drinking again?" He said, "No," and she said, "Let me smell your breath."

My co-worker could not think of a punch line.

Maybe she says: "Something's fishy here."

LONDON (AP) — Miles and Jimi. Jimi and Miles. Fans of the late trumpet and guitar masters have long known that Miles Davis and Jimi Hendrix had been making plans to record together in the year before Hendrix's sudden death in 1970.

But less attention has been paid to the bass player they were trying to recruit: Paul McCartney, who was busy with another band at the time.

This tantalizing detail about the super group that never was — jazz standout Tony Williams would have been on drums — is contained in an oft-overlooked telegram that Hendrix sent to McCartney at The Beatles' Apple Records in London on Oct. 21, 1969.

"We are recording and LP together this weekend in NewYork," it says, complete with typographical errors. "How about coming in to play bass stop call Alvan Douglas 212-5812212. Peace Jimi Hendrix Miles Davis Tony Williams."

More here:

Yahoo News

What doesn't fit here? I can hardly imagine Miles/hendrix/Williams with Paul McCartney?????!!! on bass? WTF?