Jimi Hendrix West Coast Seattle Boy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They accidentally (or at least they were only available for a day) about 12 mp3s from the set and I thought the sound quality was great. And that was confirmed by a single that has been released. It's an alternate "Love Or Confusion" w/ a unique b-side (not on the box) called "12 Bar With Horns" that's almost 11 minutes long. The b-side is The Experience + Chris Wood and percussionist Rocky Dzidzornu. To me some of the horn work is so-so, but Jimi's guitar work is not! And it's not some aimless jam. I think Sony is letting independent CD shops get the single at a good price, or for whatever reason it was less than $4 where I bought it and there were many copies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

4 discs total (plus a 90-minute DVD) -- and out of the 4-hour audio portion, at least 2 hours of truly revelatory material. For those on the fence about this, who don't mind a fair number of all-instrumental demos and early takes (of greatly 'lesser-known' material), I can highly recommend it.

The first disc is all pre-JHE material (sideman work for various R&B artists), but/and the other 3 discs are chocked full of interesting stuff. Perhaps 30 to 45 minutes of lesser interest (alternate mixes of already released material), but otherwise - there's a LOT to like if you're already steeped in Hendrix.

One nugget for organ fans: the jam with Larry Young (previously released in a 10-minute edit), is now a bit over 20 minutes long. Even the 3 previously unreleased BOG tracks from New Years Eve are decidedly NOT the "same old, same old" -- all three easily rival or best much of the other material already released from those shows (I know, hard to believe, I couldn't believe it either).

In many ways, nearly this entire set also tops the recent "Valley's of Neptune" release, which was also all previously unreleased. Little of the new box is commercial enough to include in a "regular" (mainstream) Hendrix release, and therein lies the strength of this set.

A number of acoustic (apartment) demos as well; really valuable stuff and not mere throw-away recordings.

Anybody else pick this up yesterday?

Just bought the track with Larry Young as an Amazon MP3. This is the only track with Larry Young in this set, correct?

Are we sure the earlier version was an edit, or just a different take? I plan to compare, but it won't be easy.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Yes, this was the only track with Larry Young from this set (unless I overlooked something, but I've read the complete liners twice thus far), and I think it may be the only track thus far released with Jimi and Larry (of any sort).

According to the liner notes, the earlier version (from Nine to the Universe) was an edit of this new track (clocking in at roughly 10 minutes in the edited version).

I thought this was one of the most disappointing sets I've ever bought.

Aside from the (seemingly paid-for ) reviews around the Net ... or from people who seemingly only listened to the box for three minutes to get their $5 for a review, I thought that the label didn't even partially manage to mine the potential of such a set. Although I absolutely hate all of those Amazon reviews, just head over to Amazon.com and read the first two reviews. IMHO, they are spot-on.

Waste of money if you know your Hendrix (and have mined what's out there, legally and bootlegged).

My .5 cents.

I thought this was one of the most disappointing sets I've ever bought.

Wow. I know my Hendrix, and I thought this new set was worth every penny, and then some. If my copy got lost, I'd replace it in a heartbeat.

Here's an pretty impartial assessment of just the quality of the material (at to what degree it's "new") from someone over at the Steve Hoffman board (source) -- someone who HAS mined practically everything that's out there. This (below) starts with Disc #2, because the first disc is the pre-JHE sideman work that Jimi did.

Hope this helps. Red denotes an unheard performance. Blue is a significant upgrade over a performance that has been booted.

Disc 2

Fire (1967) - remix, guitars split L/R, stereo drums, cold end

Are You Experienced (1967) - unbooted, take 1

May This Be Love (1967) - remix of LP version

Can You See Me (1967) - unused '67 mono mix w/ double tracked vox

Love Or Confusion (1967) - remix of LP version, diff vox, wide stereo, dry mix

Little One (1967) - huge sonic upgrade of boot version, cold end

Mr. Bad Luck (1967) - huge sonic upgrade of boot version

Cat Talking To Me (1967) - huge sonic upgrade of boot version

Castles Made Of Sand (1967) - unbooted

Tears Of Rage (1968) - unbooted

Hear My Train A Comin' (1968) - unbooted

1983 (A Merman I Shall Turn To Be) (1968) - unbooted

Long Hot Summer Night (1968) - unbooted

My Friend (1968) - unbooted

Angel (1968)

Calling All The Devil's Children (1968)

New Rising Sun (1968) - longer/less edited version of Voodoo Soup track

Red denotes an unheard performance. Blue is a significant upgrade over a performance that has been booted.

Disc 3

Hear My Freedom (1968) - huge upgrade of boot version

Room Full Of Mirrors (1969) - alt mix of boot version, longer

Shame, Shame, Shame (1969) - alt mix of boot version, longer

Messenger (1968) - huge upgrade of boot version

Hound Dog Blues (1969) - unbooted

Untitled Basic Track (1968) - booted in great quality

Star Spangled Banner (1969) - LA Forum version on Lifelines, orig mix

Purple Haze (1969) - LA Forum version on Lifelines, orig mix

Young/Hendrix (1969) - longer version than on Nine to the Universe

Mastermind (1969) - unbooted

Message To Love (1969) - not sure what this is.

Fire (1969) - upgrade of version on BOG DVD

Foxy Lady (1969) - previously only available on aud tape

Red denotes an unheard performance. Blue is a significant upgrade over a performance that has been booted.

Disc 4

Stone Free (1969) - upgrade over boot version

Burning Desire (1970) - unbooted

Lonely Avenue (1969) - unbooted

Everlasting First (1970) - unbooted

Freedom (1970) - huge upgrade over boot version

Peter Gunn/Catastrophe (1970) - longer version

In From The Storm (1970) - unbooted Jimi/Eddie mix

All God's Children (1970) - unbooted

Red House (1970) - released on OOP 'Live Forever' comp

Bolero (1970) - huge upgrade over boot version

Hey Baby (New Rising Sun) - alt mix of LP version

Suddenly November Morning (1970) - unbooted

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Yeah RT, I don't have my set yet, but this looks like more than I would have expected from a non-Dagger Records release and some material that most collectors don't have. The draw for me is the sonics of material I have in bootleg in not so great sound. Looks like a successful release to me, and I'm looking forward to hearing the set, very much so.