Ronnie Ross

couw

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

In another place I have been told about an album "Messages from Munich" reported to have been issued on the Hot House label about 1996/7. Details so far:-

Personnel: Rick Kiefer (trumpet), Rudy Friesen (trombone), Olaf Kubler (soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone), Don Menza (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone), Dick Spencer (alto saxophone, flute), Hans Koller, Rudi Fierl (tenor saxophones), Ronnie Ross (baritone saxophone), Rudi Risavy (flute), Pepsi Auer, Joe Haider, Bill Le Sage (pianos), Peter Trunk, Hans Ratenbacher; George (Jiri) Mraz (basses), Cees See, Meinrad Gepport, Pierre Favre (drums). 

Leader: Ronnie Ross

Dates: 1963 to 1967

Venue: Munich, Germany

Label: Hot House

Album Title: Messages From Munich

Tracks:

1. Since Yesterday

2. Sub Basement Blues

Note: Other tracks unknown

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Those titles should stem from sessions held in July 1965 at Trixi Studios, Munich

You'll find the complete tracklisting here (as well as the CD "Unforgettable Ronnie Ross):

http://www.wewerka-online.de

(go to "catalogue & artists" and click "Jazz Collection")

Ronnie Ross - bars

Dick Spencer - as

Don Menza - ts (9,10,11)

Rudi Risavy - fl (2,3,4)

Rick Kiefer - tr (1,2,5,7 - 12)

Rudi Fuessers - tb (1,2,5,7 - 12)

Pepsi Auer - p (1 - 4)

Joe Haider - p (7 - 12)

Peter Trunk - b

Pierre Favre - dr (1 - 6)

Cees See - dr (7 - 12)

Tracks 9 to 12 are possibly under the leadership of Peter Trunk

4 further tracks from December 1963 you'll find on

"Night Bounce" (tracks 9 to 12)

Ronnie Ross - bars

Hans Koller - ts

Rudi Flierl - ts

Dick Spence - as

Ira Kris - guit

Hans Rettenbacher - b

Meinrad Geppert - dr

More info on "Wewerka Archive" you'll get here:

http://www.sonarkollektiv.de/releases/SK019CD/

- Christian

Edited by Jug21

couw,

there are CDs! Acutally, I'm listening to the Ronnie Ross right now. Mr. Siegi Pleyer from "Musikverlage Hans Wewerka" has offered to present them at Virgin Vienna (I'm the Dept.Manager there). We have to order directly in Munich as there are no distributors interested so far. Maybe this will change after the release of the "Forum West"-CD!

- Christian

couw,

there are CDs! Acutally, I'm listening to the Ronnie Ross right now. Mr. Siegi Pleyer from "Musikverlage Hans Wewerka" has offered to present them at Virgin Vienna (I'm the Dept.Manager there). We have to order directly in Munich as there are no distributors interested so far. Maybe this will change after the release of the "Forum West"-CD!

- Christian

thanks Christian, I think I will contact the Wewerka Verlag and ask them how I can get my paws on these. The Ronnie Ross sounds very promising. Any other Recommendations? Thanks!

After a first listen:

"Margret Rose" is a Koller Session (Dec. 62) and very good. Typical Koller of the early Sixties. Some tracks are with a String Quartet, very subtle arranged. Though I think the best tracks (six) will be on the Forum West Sampler. Anyway, Koller & Pauer on one CD (with a total of 17 tracks) is a must for an Austrian.

"The Rambler" is Fritz Pauer with Joe Nay & Dieter Gützkow as is

"Beat The Beat" (both 1966). Very solid playing but still not the quality of his debut as a leader on MPS 3 years later (Live At The Berlin Jazz Galerie)

"Animals Talk" is Pauer solo. All compositions by him. And if you like his composing it's also a must

"Night Bounce" consists of 3 different sessions - one led by Attila Zoller, one by Wolfgang Dauner (with Eberhard Weber - 1964!!!) and the above mentioned 4 tracks led by Ronnie Ross with Koller!

The "Unforgettable Ronnie Ross" is the highlight so far!

Both - "Abstractions" by Mangelsdorff (with Sauer, Lenz, Hübner und Kronberg (on alto))

and "Avantgarde" (with Manfred Schoof, Gerd Dudek, Alexander Von Schlippenbach, Buschi Niebergall und Jaki Liebzeit) - are looking very promising too, but I didn't get those so far.

- Christian

Edited by Jug21

"Abstractions" by Mangelsdorff (with Sauer, Lenz, Hübner und Kronberg (on alto)

That's actually a the Now Jazz Ramwong album. Highly recommended. There's a 1993 CD reissue on CBS, I believe. It has popped up on amazon.de again a couple of months ago. Nice to see this one out again.

Christian - Thanks very much for the info on [Messages from Munich] - it was one of the big holes in my discography although I'm sure there are many more. And still some way to go before it's anywhere near complete by the looks of it.

Rodney

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone wants to contact Wewerka, they have a new email address. Mails to the address on their site get bounced. The new address is office@humedia.de

Just in case anyone wants to contact, the email address is office@hwmedia.de - "w" not "u". Hope you don't mind the correction, Couw.

If anyone wants to contact Wewerka, they have a new email address. Mails to the address on their site get bounced. The new address is office@humedia.de

Just in case anyone wants to contact, the email address is office@hwmedia.de - "w" not "u". Hope you don't mind the correction, Couw.

not at all, I should have done it myself by now....

Hi couw,

JPC currently offers a compilation of german jazz between 1962-68 including some Ronnie Ross called

Forum West - Modern Jazz From West Germany 1962-1968

Tracklist:

Content:

1.  Wolfgang Lauth Sextet: Intrada 

2.  Hans Koller Ensemble: Mingus privat 

3.  Joe Haider Septet: Straight out 

4.  Hans Koller Ensemble: Casa loma 

5.  Joe Haider & his Orchestra: Hymnus for Che 

6.  Wolfgang Dauner Trio: Freefall 

7.  Rolf & Joachim Kühn Quartet: Arabia rock 

8.  Ronnie Ross & his Band: Tranquology 

9.  Hans Koller Ensemble: Saint John perse 

10.  Ronnie Ross & his Band: Last of the wine 

11.  Joe Nay & Fritz Pauer: Beta draco 

12.  Hans Koller Ensemble: Zoot 

13.  Wolfgang Dauner Trio: Ten notices 

14.  Fritz Pauer Trio: Red roof 

15.  Hans Koller Ensemble: Call me Eric 

16.  Joe Haider Septet: Eternal oil lamp 

17.  Hans Koller Ensemble: Lucky Tom 

Cheers, Tjobbe

tjobbe, that's the disk Jug21 pointed towards on this thread. It's a compilation form the Wewerka archives. There is a complete Ross disk out as well as one with some Ross tracks on it. Still no luck contacting these people on those CDs...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

using a B&W copy made at the british library and the colour info Sidewinder gave us by posting the little pic, I was able to reconstruct a large colour version of this amazing cover (below a scaled down version). This album needs to be re-released.

Edited by couw

Well done indeed! It looks even better than the original I had in my hands at the British Library Sound Archive and from which I took the B & W copy. The colour on the original had faded I should think as it is now getting on in years and perhaps hadn't been stored out of the light.

Strongly agree that the album should be re-issued too.