Mobley-Joe Henderson-Sonny Red-Joe Brazil

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Joe Brazil And His Friends

Donald Towns (tp) Joe Brazil, Sonny Red (as) Joe Henderson, Hank Mobley (ts) Hugh Lawson (p) Ernie Farrow (b) Roy Brooks (d) Joe Brazil's Basement, Detroit, MI, September 25, 1958

Now's The Time private tape Paul's Pal - Woody'n You - Sweet Georgia BrownNows the time

Pauls Pal

Woody n You

Sweet Georgia Brown

did they update the hank discog? i serously have never heard of this.....?!?Now's The Time private tape Paul's Pal - Woody'n You - Sweet Georgia Brown

The Joe Brazil sessions exist, but in horrible condition. "Borderline unlistenable" is putting it about as politely as possible.

Let me set the scene: the group was in the living room, and the recorder was in the 2nd bedroom down the hall. And the only tape that survives is a 40th generation copy of the original.

(And THAT'S putting it politely too.)

On second thought, how's about we say it's "just about the worst sounding thing I've ever heard in my entire life". At least 100x worse than THE absolute worst Hendrix bootleg I've ever heard (and I've heard plenty).

I've never heard those tapes. I was told by a couple of musicians that Joe's recorder ran often...the sessions were in the basement of his house on Fleming St. on Detroit's NE side. And everybody went there, even when Joe was working at the Ford plant. New Year's eve after regular gigs ended guys would gather at Joe's and discharge their pistols in a ceremony...outdoors, of course...

Roy Brooks had a box of tapes, he let me sift through them (once) for a few minutes. Tossed into a box, tapes boxes damaged, etc. I did see stuff with 'Trane and other guys but don't know where it was recorded. Roy tried to tape his own sessions, and I'd be surprised if he didn't have stuff from Joe's house. There may have been more boxes.

I did hear one of Roy's tapes, transferred to CD, with just Roy and Trane, c.1960's, very adventurous playing. About 20 mins total, sound not bad at all.

• 1 year later...

It would be interesting to hear, but I've heard the material, and you can't hear too much of anything, really.

I have a very high tolerance for homemade tapes and such, but this one is damn near unlistenable. You can hear the lines (more or less), but the tones all sound the same, which is to say, one prolonged GRGGRGRHKNWPCLQGRGGRGRHKNWPCLQGRGGRGRHKNWPCLQGRGGRGRHKNWPCLQ Not a vowel to be had.

Too bad, really.

What Jim says... there have been some "fixing" attempts, but even the best version I've heard is virtually unlistenable... guess these sexophones could actually have been impersonated by a muddy early rhodes or some such. Quality is really, really bad, and if it weren't for Trane and the other luminaries involved, I'd certainly not have played this through several times.

jsngry u were the funniest in describing it to me, he was all, he was like this is how it sounds: immagine the worst zeppelin boot youve ever heard. now play it on a pair of headphones on the ground and walk 3 doors down and re-record it in the closest of the next room, thats what it is like.............lolz :smirk:

and Brownie, what real proof has come about to ID hank as the guy. i call : NO WAY. brownie do you have a source on that. you say he "has been idenitified as the....".....

Can't remember the source that identified Mobley...

From the Coltrane discography by John Thurlow

Coltrane 1958

-------------

580925 - JOE BRAZIL AND HIS FRIENDS

John Coltrane, ts; Donald Towns, tp; Joe Brazil, Sonny Red, as; Joe Henderson, Hank Mobley, ts; Hugh Lawson, p; Ernie Farrow, b; Roy Brooks, d

Date : September 25, 1958

a. “Blues Jam - Now's The Time” (19:41)

PRIVATE RECORDING

b. “Woody'n You” (8:10)

PRIVATE RECORDING

c. “Paul's Pal” (13:12)

PRIVATE RECORDING

d. “Sweet Georgia Brown” (12:34)

Notes: see The Coltrane Reference for more information.

-------------