LOCKJAW DAVIS WILL SLIT YOUR THROAT AND DRINK YOUR BLOOD!!&#33

JSngry

Yes! to all the above comments. Great clip. The Basie band playing "mad". They were always at their best when they did that. (The reference comes from the time the band and Joe Williams remade some of their famous Verve sides for Roulette. Apparently the studio call was for 9AM, and everyone was really ticked off at the early hour. So they played "mad" and got great takes).

Yes! to all the above comments. Great clip. The Basie band playing "mad". They were always at their best when they did that. (The reference comes from the time the band and Joe Williams remade some of their famous Verve sides for Roulette. Apparently the studio call was for 9AM, and everyone was really ticked off at the early hour. So they played "mad" and got great takes).

John I think you might have heard Joe say that to me, in an interview on my show years ago. Just to add to the "mad" -- the band had already been paid for the session weeks before, and had spent the bread. :lol:

Yeah, by that time, the Basie band was making a lot of "polite" albums. Just goes to show the truth of the old adage "don't mistake my kindness for weakness"...

You remind me of a Basie Roulette that wasn't included in the Mosaics -- "String Along With Basie" (Roulette 500013, from '59/'60). It was 'kind' without being weak in any way. Can't be weak with Ben Webster on one of the sessions!

Admittedly, it wasn't with the band, but it WAS a Basie record, and a darn good one, that to my knowledge has never been on CD. Or has it? Anyone here know?

Yeah, by that time, the Basie band was making a lot of "polite" albums. Just goes to show the truth of the old adage "don't mistake my kindness for weakness"...

You remind me of a Basie Roulette that wasn't included in the Mosaics -- "String Along With Basie" (Roulette 500013, from '59/'60). It was 'kind' without being weak in any way. Can't be weak with Ben Webster on one of the sessions!

Admittedly, it wasn't with the band, but it WAS a Basie record, and a darn good one, that to my knowledge has never been on CD. Or has it? Anyone here know?

Amazon :)

Show the cover from that link, dude, that shirt is freakin' amazing...

51EROV8%2BSlL._SS500_.jpg

Gotcha! Thanks. I'll likely pick up that twofer, though I have Jones stuff on the Mosaic, as well as a single CD. I have the "String Along..." on a CD-R transferred from an excellent French Roulette pressing.

I'd guess they put these two together because Quincy arranged one of the string sessions (1959.07.20). The others are by the under-recognized George Williams (1960.05.10 & 11).

John I think you might have heard Joe say that to me, in an interview on my show years ago. Just to add to the "mad" -- the band had already been paid for the session weeks before, and had spent the bread. :lol:

You're right, Ted, I got it from your program (which is why we miss it so much!) But I'd honestly forgotten that it came from your Joe Williams interview. I thought you may have said it in introducing a record.

Edited by John Tapscott

You're right, Ted, I got it from your program (which is why we miss it so much!) But I'd honestly forgotten that it came from your Joe Williams interview. I thought you may have said it in introducing a record.

It was probably in reference to the Basie/Williams Roulette studio version of "Every Day" (recorded in Chicago 1959.09.24). I recall telling Joe I thought it was a far better version than the original Verve, and he agreed, telling the "mad" story. He also added that they had played it so many times (at least once a night for five years) and were so familiar with it they could just PLAY it. Being "mad" was that recording's bonus.

• 6 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Picked this one up recently without even checking the personnel:

B000002AGI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I had it on but was doing something else at the moment. As soon as Lock came on, I turned my head to the speakers. What the ... ? Lock?! He has that way of grabbing your attention. I didn't even check the line-up, and Lock finished his (albeit brief) solo.

Fine album, by the way.

Also have to put a plug in for this one:

M194617W595.jpg

Jeeeeeeeeeeesus....talk about showing your blade up front just so there's no misunderstanding about mistaking your forthcoming kindness for any kind of residual weakness...

In a world full of out of left field entrances, this is certainly one of the most explicitly, unambiguously, defiantly vulgar things I've ever heard. But no laws are broken, the guy knows exactly where the line is. Exactly.

My hero.