Blue Note 1568 Hank Mobley question about 'takes'

The Cuscuna/Ruppli BN Label Discography (1988 edition) mentions this:

This session was recorded in stereo but the stereo version remains unissued, except the version of take 2 used in the German issue, which is the stereo one

The liner notes for the Hank Mobley Fifties Sessions (where the session is in stereo) adds:

The original mono master of Mighty Moe and Joe was tk 2 with the tenor and trumper solos from tk 3. The unedited tk 2 was issued in stereo on Box 3 of 40 Years of Jazz - The History of Blue Note. It was also issued on the first stereo CD release of this album (J)TOCJ-1568. That CD is also missing the insert ending for Double Explosure.

this is strange! is this the only time in blue note 1500 series history this happened? i mean its not quite 'bitches brew' level, but wow.

so is the mosaic set, is that same one as on the "40 years of blue note" set?

so they say this original disc was only pressed in quanity of 500 copies. how do we know that? sources?

i have an original of this on the way. i bought one, for 150 dollars. mine has no cover, and is scratched up. pending shipping, its gonna be awesome....

• 3 years later...

I have the TOCJ stereo disc and the original mono master on TOCJ-9064, the JRVG version.

I've never thought the mono edition of this record sounded very good — and I'm usually a mono fan. I only have a rip of the stereo edition, and it sounds like a different album.

What do other posters here think? Mono? Or stereo? This record would seem a perfect candidate for XRCD treatment, as Mobley appears beloved by that reissue campaign.

this is strange! is this the only time in blue note 1500 series history this happened? i mean its not quite 'bitches brew' level, but wow.

No. This isn't the only time. There's at least one more - There's a very famous edit in "Blue Train". The issued title track uses the piano solo from a different take. There is no unedited version left of this track. The only "master" left of the issued take is the edited one.

I have the TOCJ stereo disc and the original mono master on TOCJ-9064, the JRVG version.

I've never thought the mono edition of this record sounded very good — and I'm usually a mono fan. I only have a rip of the stereo edition, and it sounds like a different album.

What do other posters here think? Mono? Or stereo? This record would seem a perfect candidate for XRCD treatment, as Mobley appears beloved by that reissue campaign.

How are the musicians placed in the stereo mix? Van Gelder's early stereo mixes usually have everything panned hard left and right; before he started mixing the piano in the center.

How are the musicians placed in the stereo mix? Van Gelder's early stereo mixes usually have everything panned hard left and right; before he started mixing the piano in the center.

The tenor, alto & trumpet come from the left, the drums from the right and the piano and bass are in the centre.

The tenor, alto & trumpet come from the left, the drums from the right and the piano and bass are in the centre.

That is strange... this session was recorded roughly three months before Blue Train. Yet Blue Train has the more primitive stereo mix with nothing in the center.

& we now know from that one bob cranshaw interview that another one, is the title track to THE SIDEWINDER

he said somethin like he forgot what lick he played at the start, so they had to rewind and listen, and then theres a punch in- if you know it you can totally hear the edit

Edited by chewy