Gene Ammons - Bad Bossa Nova/Jungle Soul

jeffcrom

Okay, this is one of those questions about original issues and repressings that's ultimately kind of unimportant, but I'm curious:

I just picked up a nice mono copy of the Prestige 7257 by Gene Ammons. It's got the Prestige blue label with the silver trident and lettering; deep groove with Van Gelder's stamp in the dead wax. The title on the front cover is "Bad! Bossa Nova." The title on the back cover and labels is "Jungle Soul (ca' purange)." Is this the original pressing or an early repress, or what?

In any case, it's musically pretty badass behind its genial facade.

The first (1963) LP issue had a yellow mono (PRLP-7257) or silver stereo (PRST-7257) label, with the Bergenfield address on top of the label. In 1964 the label was changed to blue with a trident logo on the right and the Bergenfield address on the bottom, so your pressing was the later one.

My copy of Jungle Soul has a different cover from the regular Bad Bossa Novavinyl

61vQtqBktTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It has the yellow Bergenfield labels, Van Gelder stamps and a dark/green tainted closeup of Gene Ammons (by Esmond Edwards) on its cover.

Liner notes by Del Shields are dated December 1963.

"Jungle Soul" was the original title. It was re-titled to cash in on bossa nova.

Are you sure about that? Both jazzdisco.org and Lord seem to say that Bad! Bossa Nova was the original title, and Jungle Soul the later one.

You're right, according to Bruyninckx, Michel Ruppli's Prestige discography (page 133) and Neal Umphred's Goldmine's Price Guide to Collectible Jazz Albums 1949-1969 (2nd edition; page 48) Bad! Bossa Nova was the original LP title.

"Jungle Soul" was the original title. It was re-titled to cash in on bossa nova.

Are you sure about that? Both jazzdisco.org and Lord seem to say that Bad! Bossa Nova was the original title, and Jungle Soul the later one.

You're right, according to Bruyninckx, Michel Ruppli's Prestige discography (page 133) and Neal Umphred's Goldmine's Price Guide to Collectible Jazz Albums 1949-1969 (2nd edition; page 48) Bad! Bossa Nova was the original LP title.

That makes sense to me, given my "hybrid" copy. They would use up their supply of "Jungle Soul" LPs, even if they put them in newer "Bad Bossa Nova" covers.

Edited by jeffcrom

That makes sense to me, given my "hybrid" copy. They would use up their supply of "Jungle Soul" LPs, even if they put them in newer "Bad Bossa Nova" covers.

Shouldn't that be the other way around? Bad! Bossa Nova came first, followed by Jungle Soul, or am I misreading your post? :)

Shouldn't that be the other way around? Bad! Bossa Nova came first, followed by Jungle Soul, or am I misreading your post? :)

Yes, I read it backwards. And my feeble brain is more confused that ever....

Seems like I mixed up those two "Jungle" tunes - what album was Ammons' version of Jungle Strut on?

And who in all the world was this "Mussapere" who was credited for writing Jungle Soul?

apparently a man who died a year ago at 91 and who was later known as Antenor Moreyra Lima or Nato Lima

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_%C3%8Dndios_Tabajaras

Thank GOD they changed the name. It was so embarrassing how clueless United Statesians threw around the phrase "bossa nova" in the early days. I am assuming that the title was the work of some marketing hack. Anyway, I will gladly trade my LP cover of "Bad Bossa Nova" for a "Jungle Soul" LP cover, which is so much more appropriate, given the music.