Weather Report's "8:30"

CJ Shearn

I was listening to some of it last night (I bought the Mastersound edition a while back since it has the complete album unlike the domestic) and I think that compared to the other WR albums I have (Black Market, Live in Tokyo, Live and Unreleased, and Heavy Weather) it's the weakest of the bunch, the live portions are excellent, but the studio half is a little dissapointing, "Sightseeing" cooks, but "Brown Street" despite having some cool grooves and patterns (Zawinul's walking bass with a little "hump") but it doesn't go anywhere on the whole. "Live in Tokyo" is IMO the ultimate WR live album, they just take amazing chances on that. "8:30", as I understand it was a "greatest hits" sort of tour, so the risks they took may not have been as great during that time. Anyone care to weigh in their perspectives on "8:30"?

thanks Rockfeller, I have read that info before. I just think with "8:30", it doesn't have an edge, even though the live stuff is great it doesn't have many risks as say "Live in Tokyo" or even tracks off "Live and Unreleased" from around the same time. I love the edition with Jaco, but I think the lack of percussion took out a pleasing textural element that was there before, and I think the groove thing they went it too maybe restricted things a tiny bit. Although I still think "Heavy Weather" and "Black Market" are great albums. Compositionally, HW is great.

I was listening to some of it last night (I bought the Mastersound edition a while back since it has the complete album unlike the domestic) and I think that compared to the other WR albums I have (Black Market, Live in Tokyo, Live and Unreleased, and Heavy Weather) it's the weakest of the bunch, the live portions are excellent, but the studio half is a little dissapointing, "Sightseeing" cooks, but "Brown Street" despite having some cool grooves and patterns (Zawinul's walking bass with a little "hump") but it doesn't go anywhere on the whole. "Live in Tokyo" is IMO the ultimate WR live album, they just take amazing chances on that. "8:30", as I understand it was a "greatest hits" sort of tour, so the risks they took may not have been as great during that time. Anyone care to weigh in their perspectives on "8:30"?

I've always thought it was pretty boring, even the live stuff. The best parts are "Sightseeing", "Black Market", and (especially) "Badia/Boogie Woogie Waltz".

Guy