Most disappointing new release 2003

mikeweil

Of all new releases during this year 2003, which was the most disappointing in your opinion, did not live up to the expectations you had before buying etc.

My choice would be Miroslav Vitous: Universal Syncopations - not a bad record, but not the fireworks these masters are capable of.

OK, this disc is really from late 2002, but I haven't been buying new releases much this year.

The Dave Holland Big Band disc (on ECM), was certainly a "good" disc, but it wasn't anywhere near as "incredible" as I was hoping and expecting it to be. It's still good, don't get me wrong. It's just that with Dave Holland, I've come to expect far better than just "good"!!!!

None of the players are on my radar screen, so I have no opinion, AND I find the recent Dave Holland bands a "snore".

Yaaahhheeemm...Okay then, well...

heh heh...not even Steve Nelson?

I don't find either of the recent DHQ cd's disapointing in the least. If I did have to pick a most disapointing new release of 2003 it would be the awful last Scofield cd...Up All Night? Snoozer!

I felt a bit disappointed with a number of releases this year. I gave my new Roy Hargrove away as soon as I heard it. The new Jason Moran is quite interesting, but doesn't really grab me the way some of his other discs do. I don't care too much for the new Ravi Coltrane either. Maybe my biggest disappointment was the new James Carter, because I was expecting much more.

The new live Tim Berne was OK, but it is hard for me to get excited about Science Fiction after Bloodcount.

I can't comment on the new Dave Holland since I haven't heard it yet.

I'll stop there, but there were other disappointments in 03 as well for me. There have been better years for jazz releases.

Wow....I'm surprised you don't like the Dave Holland CD, Rooster. I thought that that album would be every Dave Holland Quintet fan's dream come true. To me, its really the first one they've released that truly shows how great they really are. I think its a spectacular release. My favorite of 2003.

My biggest disappointment is also Jason Moran's "Bandwagon". I don't dislike it, but after the four amazing albums he released previously, this one was a bit of a letdown.

There have been better years for jazz releases.

Well, thinking about that, I guess I should be disqualified from this discussion. The problem being that I'm so new to jazz (about five years now as a serious listener) that I'm only just making the switch from being primarily a reissue buyer to picking up new stuff. I'm sure my tastes, and impressions of current jazz will continue to be in flux for a while yet...

Wow....I'm surprised you don't like the Dave Holland CD, Rooster.  I thought that that album would be every Dave Holland Quintet fan's dream come true.  To me, its really the first one they've released that truly shows how great they really are.  I think its a spectacular release.  My favorite of 2003.

No, no, no.

I'm talking about the Dave Holland Big Band CD from late in 2002, which I found to be a disappointment (at least to some extent).

f47028t7dwi.jpg

I'm NOT talking about the 'live' double-CD with the quintet (which I haven't heard yet, but which I'm quite sure is probably AMAZING).

It was DH's Big Band CD that didn't live up to my expectations. I thought it was a cool concept, and "reasonably well done" in terms of the end result. But I don't think I have to explain how a DH release that's only "reasonably well done" is one that doesn't meet my expectations.

Count me as one who has LOVED all of his most recent quintet CD's -- everything since Chris Potter joined the group (as I expect I'll love the new 'live' double CD).

I was very disappointed with Bobby Previte's Counter-clockwise on Palmetto, crude stuff from such a fine leader

I saw the band live, with Joseph Bowie in for Anderson who couldn't make the tour. That was a hell of a show, and Bowie was the biggest surprise! This man has full command of his instrument! He played a ballad with harmon mute, and he really did sound like Miles... And Swallow, shit! Previte banging his cans and enjoying his band and himself...

I never even thought of gettin their CD. On the Palmetto-site you can find three tracks recorded live in Europe (but on a later tour then the one I saw). I had a friend of mine burn all that stuff on CD, but had no chance to listen so far.

ubu

Wow....I'm surprised you don't like the Dave Holland CD, Rooster.  I thought that that album would be every Dave Holland Quintet fan's dream come true.  To me, its really the first one they've released that truly shows how great they really are.  I think its a spectacular release.  My favorite of 2003.

No, no, no.

I'm talking about the Dave Holland Big Band CD from late in 2002, which I found to be a disappointment (at least to some extent).

f47028t7dwi.jpg

I'm NOT talking about the 'live' double-CD with the quintet (which I haven't heard yet, but which I'm quite sure is probably AMAZING).

It was DH's Big Band CD that didn't live up to my expectations. I thought it was a cool concept, and "reasonably well done" in terms of the end result. But I don't think I have to explain how a DH release that's only "reasonably well done" is one that doesn't meet my expectations.

Count me as one who has LOVED all of his most recent quintet CD's -- everything since Chris Potter joined the group (as I expect I'll love the new 'live' double CD).

Oops.....sorry! :rolleyes:

I too was disappointed by "Counter Clockwise". It all seemed rather too studied to me. But I've seen a video of them on tour, almost like a different group with room to stretch put.

Strange about Holland. The band are great live but their records don't do much for me.

Another disappointing release is Pat Martino's Think Tank. A great line up which doesn't quite deliver.

I have to agree with Chuck and JohnS. Holland's more recent records bore me. Don't get me wrong, they are all motherfuckers, but some how the CD's just seem so perfect. I don't want perfect. I want adventure taking. If you're not making mistakes you not reaching far enough. They are hot live though. But I haven't been really enthused by a DH recording since 'Jumpin' In'.