Maintaining a CD Collection (AM New York article)

BeBop

Maintaining a CD (or vinyl) collection in New York City takes a special kind of person. We’ve got limited space in our apartments, moving it is a nightmare and finding a good record store has become quite a chore.

But even in the age of digital downloads some remain dedicated to the round discs. We spoke with four New Yorkers about their devotion to the CD. Article

Nice article, and don't we all sympathise with some of the problems and odd experiences mentioned?

But talking about 400 CDs and all of THIRTY-FIVE LPs (or even 150 LPs)? :excited:

Space must really be at an extreme premium when that kind of figure warrants mentioning at all. (Yes, hopefully I'll NEVER have to move house. ;))

For anyone who hasn't seen it, AM New York is a free paper handed out on the street. It's mainly to get adverts into the hands of people who otherwise (1) get their news on the web, (2) don't read the news, and/or don't think the news has a positive monetary value. Seems to me - generalizing - that probably would be the iPod/younger generation.

For me and for many people, I'd imagine compact discs (or vinyl LPs or even cassettes) are like photographs. … In most instances with my collection, when you pull out an isolated disc, I can probably tell you where I acquired it, where I'd first heard it, where I was working at the time, who I was dating and a handful of other memories inexorably interwoven with it. To jettison the disc would be, for me, like tearing up a photograph that serves that same end.

That bit rings true with me! It's not just about what is on the disc.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Nice article, and don't we all sympathise with some of the problems and odd experiences mentioned?

But talking about 400 CDs and all of THIRTY-FIVE LPs (or even 150 LPs)? :excited:

Space must really be at an extreme premium when that kind of figure warrants mentioning at all. (Yes, hopefully I'll NEVER have to move house. ;))

Makes me think of a question - homes in Japan are really tiny, right? I mean, most if not all. That's the impression I've gotten.

And, Japan has these extensive and still ongoing Blue Note reissue programs, presumably supported by a core of hardcore Blue Note/Jazz fans.

So for these people, how do they fit their collections into the typical Japanese home? Are there "Its me or the CD collection!" articles in Japanese media?

400 CD's and 150 LP's? This is a joke, right?

No, this is New York City, where everybody and everything is SPECIAL ALL THE TIME!!!

20th Century FOREVER!!! :bad:

(apologies in advance to any and all NYC-ers who honestly maintain the old & for-real used-to-be in the face of the insurmountable and the inevitable)

400 CD's and 150 LP's? This is a joke, right?

Liz Hester, about 400 CDs and about 35 vinyl albums.

"When I moved to New York about five years ago, I put all the CDs in books and threw out the jewel cases, which was traumatic enough. I kept thinking about how much I would miss the art and books. It was such a big decision that I can't imagine getting rid of any of the actual CDs."

400 CDs without booklets and jewel cases? Those will fit in a single CD folder...

cd_320_storage.jpg

Edited by Daniel A