Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

True Blue is selling the Miles Davis trumpet case box for $750 and you also get a $50 Mosaic gift card. (course, Sony at one time sold the box set for $675)

Get yourself a $500 or more Mosaic gift card first and they'll throw in a free Francis Wolff Jazz Photography book to boot.

since I can't really buy recorded music any more

Hm. Now I know you said you don't really buy it very much, but I don't remember you saying you couldn't? You can't - no space? or?

No home = no space. And I don't download - a preference thing.

Ohhhhhhhh.

By the way I agree with you on supporting live music not least because so much more of what you pay actually goes to musicians. I don't really agree with the idea that buying recordings 'supports music' - not so very much, IMO.

Edited by David Ayers

The Gillespie I mentioned is here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000GYHZWG/

Edited to add: uh, guys, it's a bargain...

Two sellers are offering it at a great price. Unfortunately, they don't ship to the U.S.

Sorry to see they don't ship to US. UKers should jump on this (£31.99 at this moment, tracking down every day...). The principal difference between the euromosaic and the regular is that these sets are unnumbered, the product code on the spine is different, there is a back cover information sheet describing the contents, and... the booklet paper is maybe a bit shinier.... Works out under £5 per disk at this price.

I just received my copy of People Time as a gift from my wife. The music is beautiful, as others have already said, and although the fold-out liner notes are not an ideal mode of presentation as one person indicated earlier in the thread, the essays by Gary Giddins and Kenny Barron in those notes, IMHO, are very nice and add to the listening experience. Giddins says that Getz was preparing to write his autobiography with Giddins's assistance at the time of Getz's final illness. That could have been an interesting book.

The Sonny Rollins Prestige Albums 8CD set can be had for 18€ at amazon.de - it contains the Rollins albums, as opposed to the complete 7CD set which also had the sessions with Monk and KD and some... the eight albums included are:

- SR & MJQ

- Movin' Out

- Worktime

- SR Plus Four

- Tenor Madness

- Saxophone Colossus

- Rollins Plays for Bird

- Tour de Force

The booklet is bare bones - front covers plus info, no liners, no nothing.

But quite a steal for those who don't have all of these fine albums yet!

The Gillespie I mentioned is here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000GYHZWG/

Edited to add: uh, guys, it's a bargain...

Two sellers are offering it at a great price. Unfortunately, they don't ship to the U.S.

Sorry to see they don't ship to US. UKers should jump on this (£31.99 at this moment, tracking down every day...). The principal difference between the euromosaic and the regular is that these sets are unnumbered, the product code on the spine is different, there is a back cover information sheet describing the contents, and... the booklet paper is maybe a bit shinier.... Works out under £5 per disk at this price.

I emailed the seller and they will ship to the US for additional 15 quid.

got this one (locally, same price roughly) today:

Next Stop Soweto - Vols. 1-3 Limited Edition

515sdZZ9ENL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It's a filmsy cardboard around three jewel cases (Vol. 3 is a 2CD set, it's four discs in total).

Paid about the same for Vol. 3 (though that one's a nice digipack version I could give away now...)

Edited by king ubu