Are there any box bargains currently available?

Yes, I have found Newbury to be just fine. I received my Rollins box right a couple of days after Christmas - sooner than I expected (and it had to cross a border). Everything I have ever ordered has always arrived (eventually); even a Mosaic order that was for some reason sent first to Great Britain and then arrived a month later in a large British mail bag. The rather extreme inconsistency in delivery times is what puzzles me.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Uh oh! I clicked on the status link for the first time just now, and it says that it was delivered Dec 20.

So I have emailed Newbury via Amazon with the "Where's My Stuff?" heading. I expect that they will just send me another copy.

It looks like I am out of luck. I'm angry, but I don't think that there is anything I can do about it.

When I contacted Newbury Friday (New Year's Eve), they still had a copy available at the same price $29.99. But today Newbury has none listed, and the cheapest set is going for $60.

I am disgusted with Newbury's responses to my emails. The first did nothing more than provide a copy of the tracking data that I referred to when I first emailed them. It was a non-response.

Their second email cavalierly said that should the package be returned to them, they will reship it. No mention of sending me another copy as I requested. No mention of a refund.

Why would the NC send you a replacement? Did you pay for signature or insured delivery?

Edited by Dmitry

I had a long discussion with my mailman about this yesterday, and he didn't think that the package would ever be found.

I feel your pain, GA. Off topic, but as good a place as any for a rant. I will NEVER use USPS around or anywhere near the holiday season again. Three of my Christmas present packages--all ordered on or near December 1, mind you--WERE NOT DELIVERED UNTIL AFTER 12/27.

Off topic, but as someone who knows someone with "inside" experience with the USPS, anything shipped standard after 12/1 might take a month to arrive, even if it is traveling just a couple of states. The quasi-governmental unionized bureaucracy that is the USPS is currently trying to cut costs by "swallowing its tail." It is not a merit-based organization either (i.e., do a good job, and be rewarded). If it is not sent "priority mail," it is placed on the back burner, even if it was ordered way early. If you need anything in December with timeliness, go with UPS, FedEx, or DHL. However, during most months, USPS shipping is decent, and at a reasonable cost.

Back on topic: if anyone comes across a decent deal on Wes Montgomery's Complete Riverside Recordings (for under $100, or under $80 preferably), please post. I missed some of the good prices in recent months.

Edited by martini

Hey GA

Does Amazon or your method of payment offer any buyer protection? I know my wife has had a couple of items go astray on orders she has made through ebay/paypal and has got refunds. It does suck when all you want is the music and it is out in limbo somewhere.

I had a long discussion with my mailman about this yesterday, and he didn't think that the package would ever be found.

I feel your pain, GA. Off topic, but as good a place as any for a rant. I will NEVER use USPS around or anywhere near the holiday season again. Three of my Christmas present packages--all ordered on or near December 1, mind you--WERE NOT DELIVERED UNTIL AFTER 12/27.

Off topic, but as someone who knows someone with "inside" experience with the USPS, anything shipped standard after 12/1 might take a month to arrive, even if it is traveling just a couple of states. The quasi-governmental unionized bureaucracy that is the USPS is currently trying to cut costs by "swallowing its tail." It is not a merit-based organization either (i.e., do a good job, and be rewarded). If it is not sent "priority mail," it is placed on the back burner, even if it was ordered way early. If you need anything in December with timeliness, go with UPS, FedEx, or DHL. However, during most months, USPS shipping is decent, and at a reasonable cost.

Back on topic: if anyone comes across a decent deal on Wes Montgomery's Complete Riverside Recordings (for under $100, or under $80 preferably), please post. I missed some of the good prices in recent months.

Newbury Comics Burlington,MA has the Montgomery Box for $69.99

TBW, I am confident that Amazon will arrange for a refund if I demand it. But I don't want a refund, I want the music.

martini, my problem is that the USPS claims that it was delivered Dec 20. So it is my word against theirs.

Here's one I don't think has been mentioned yet:

The Debut Records Story (4 CDs) - $9.50

http://www.amazon.com/Debut-Records-Story-Various-Artists/dp/B000000XB7/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3030IPF70YHI8&colid=RVSBV717YT9

TBW, I am confident that Amazon will arrange for a refund if I demand it. But I don't want a refund, I want the music.

martini, my problem is that the USPS claims that it was delivered Dec 20. So it is my word against theirs.

http://www.amazon.com/Debut-Records-Story-Various-Artists/dp/B000000XB7/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3030IPF70YHI8&colid=RVSBV717YT9

I hear you about wanting the music not the money back, I would feel the same.

Yeah - delivered.

But to where?

BTW, my Amazon UK order mentioned earlier in this thread NEVER showed up.

I currently have 2 orders shipped from Europe on December 13th--one from the UK and the other from France--that are missing in action. Based on what you guys are saying, it seems that I should give them another couple of weeks before seeking replacements or refunds.

In the past, shipments from Europe never took more than 2-3 weeks to get here, but I probably never ordered right before the holidays.

I currently have 2 orders shipped from Europe on December 13th--one from the UK and the other from France--that are missing in action. Based on what you guys are saying, it seems that I should give them another couple of weeks before seeking replacements or refunds.

In the past, shipments from Europe never took more than 2-3 weeks to get here, but I probably never ordered right before the holidays.

Likely to be delayed with the backlog due to extreme weather over Xmas. I have a CD from the US that is taking longer than usual so I wouldn't worry too much.

Likely to be delayed with the backlog due to extreme weather over Xmas. I have a CD from the US that is taking longer than usual so I wouldn't worry too much.

Might have worked out better if we had traded orders. rolleyes.gif

Agreed - post really messed up around these parts too (still!) at the moment...

_48012435_001245627-1.jpg

Don't panic - my Ellington Mosaic which was waved off from the States on 8th Dec only arrived here on 7th Jan.